California-Los Angeles
Options

Say Cheese?...but where any of you knotties have recommendations for engagment shoot?

Hi ladies,

My fiance and I are doing a retro 1950's wedding and were hoping to find some nice outdoor vinntagey (if that's even a word) outdoorsey spots to take our engagment photos at. We also would like it to have a romantic feel.

Where did you take your engagment photos at?
Any recommendations would be apperciated?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Say Cheese?...but where any of you knotties have recommendations for engagment shoot?

• Options
    michsancmichsanc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there, I'm going to the place where we met ....a restaurant in west covina. We plan to shoot inside and the surrounding areas. I love beach photos and garden settings;however we are opting for something more meaningful. Just an idea :) maybe where u met....if possible?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    michsancmichsanc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops just read the whole pos....as for vintage maybe u can go online. I know the oviatt penthouse is nice but not sure if they allow engagement photos therere.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can make a lot of places have a vintage feel with the way you two dress and props.  The Santa Monica pier might be fun.  Google vintage wedding blogs and see what you like.  I found this one that had soem cool photos.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    theKylieBridetheKylieBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask your photographers. I'm sure they'll know of a place or at least know someone that would know of a place. I can't think of any off hand, but I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • Options
    GreenEyes005GreenEyes005 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For vintage shots in Los Angeles, I would try Union Station, Chateau Marmont, Griffith Park, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Huntington Library...depends on the look you want.
  • Options
    joysyearjoysyear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies,
    those are all wonderful ideas. i'll going to check out the huntington library this weekend and find out if i need a permit to take photos there as well as union station.
    we were tbhinking of doinf some shots down at la live (were we had our 1st date but a little to modern i think)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You need a permit for Union Station and the Huntington Library for sure.  Both of those venues will definitely regulate picture taking and may even ask you leave.  What about taking pics on Angel's Flight downtown?  It is a wooden cable car and will fit your vintage theme quite well. 

Check out some places on the east side of downtown.  The Farmers and merchant bank on 4th and Main, Pete's Cafe and Bar, and many other buildings on that side of downtown have great old architecture that will play well in your vintage theme.  

Oviatt may be a viable option, but you would need a permit because they are not open daily.  Truly Yours catering manages that venue so check with them on that option.  You could also do the restaurant downstairs from Oviatt called Cicada.  It has AMAZING art decco decor and a gorgeous grand staircase that would photograph well.   
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did our wedding photos at the Disney Concert Hall and the Bradbury Building. But for a retro 50s vibe, why not do something like Mel's Drive In or Pann's Restaurant, or an old school bowling alley like Shatto Lanes? I think wearing some retro clothes would be really cute.

Also, if it's just you guys and a photographer and you aren't setting up lighting kits and whatnot, I wouldn't worry about the permit. For the most part, if you just walk in and start taking photos, you can finish shortly. And if anyone asks you to leave, well, you'll already have your photos.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love msmerymac's idea of Pann's Restaurant. There's also lots of vintage signs around LA. How about an old motel / motor inn with a vintage sign? You can get lots of different looks from one location.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I had our engagement shoot yesterday.  We did a vintage theme just aound Hollywood.  Grauman's, Sunset Gower Studios, a shot with the hollywood sign and (not so vintagy) the light installation at LACMA.  Just roaming the neighborhoods, we found some great apartment buildings.  Another good place is Wilshire with all the Art Deco architecture.  Any place Downtown is also good for a vintage look.  There are so many great buildings in this city that you really could go just about anywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lindsikins, how did you get a shot at the Hollywood sign? I've been wanting to do that but figured it would be illegal or cost a lot of money to get approved. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards