Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cook's champagne/sparkling wine

Sooo.... is Cook's nice enough for a wedding reception? I noticed that it's $12 for 2 1.5 liter (aka big ass) bottles at Costco. I personally love most sparkling wine, but would it look cheap, ya think? It's not just for the toasts, it will be offered as a wine option.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cook's champagne/sparkling wine

• apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    ha, I agree!
  • I bought a few splits of champagne to try, because I want to take some in the limo. We ended up with a 4 pack of Cook's because my FI said, "Hey! These are 4 for $9!" I haven't tried any of the splits yet, though, so that's all I got. Oh, except my friend came over and when I explained what we were doing she said, "Uh, I love how you have Cooks." 

Seriously, though, people won't mind either way. Especially if they don't see the brand/label.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I'm going to disagree with everyone here.  The last time I had Cooks, I remember thinking it tasted like an old sock.

I'm much more of a fan of getting a cheap Asti Spumante.  I find it inherently more drinkable and very cheap.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cooks-champagnesparkling-wine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:69db88af-cc56-4c25-9105-27e4923cbe42Post:15665465-60c3-4a4f-aa7c-ae31b1702bc1">Re: Cook's champagne/sparkling wine</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm much more of a fan of getting a cheap Asti Spumante. 
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>This!  I actually like asti grande spumante.  It's sweeter and doesn't have that gross bitter taste that cook's has.</div><div>
    </div><div>But to answer your question, I wouldn't think less of you if I saw Cooks bottles sitting out at your wedding.  </div>
  • So, my personal opinion is that I hate Cook's even though I love champagne because it tastes like beer.  It is just way too cheap tasting in my opinion.

However, if I went to a wedding where it was free, I would not complain because free is free.  Pay for what you can afford.  That said, if you can afford better, I would definitely upgrade.  
  • Also, I agree with Micah. Asti Spumanti is soo much better.  
  • mushEmushE member
    First Comment
    Yeah, I agree with Mica - I can't stand Cook's.  I just saw your post on the September board - that's my club as well - and I'm in the Sac area too.  We're getting the Domaine Ste. Michelle sparkling wine from Trader Joe's.  It's $7.99/bottle there, but sometimes it also goes on sale for the same price at Raley's, and then you can get 10% off for a 6+ bottle purchase. 

If you were only buying it for a toast, I'd say don't worry about it, but if it's going to be one of the wine options, I'd upgrade. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. 
  • Get some Chandon.  We LOVE the rose and you can find it on sale for like $12.99 at the grocery store.  Even the non-wine drinkers were digging it.

The Blanc and Brut are on sale now at BevMo, but I really have seen better prices at Albertsons.

I don't like Cooks at all and Asti Spumante is usually a recipe for a headache.  For a toast, it works, but as a dinner beverage, it's too sweet.  IMHO.

If you can't afford to get a nice drinking champagne, then skip and just get a toasting champagne that fits your budget.  You may also consider a slightly dry sparkling Riesling.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• I think that stuff is just nasty-- one taste and I would be heading for the other options. There are other cheap options (prosecco, local sparkling wines) that should be cheap and also drinkable.
  • Agree with Smokey. She learned all her alcohol knowledge from me, errr, or visa versa.
  • I can't stand cook's.  Yech.  Sorry.  We had Rosa Regale for our wedding - it's a red sparkling Italian wine, and it's awesome.  It's pricier ($18/bottle or so), but given how much everybody loved it, totally worth the expense.  If we'd had something half the price that people didn't enjoy, that would have been a waste to me.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Okay, Cook's is out. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards