Rhode Island
Options

Caterers

Hello,

I think I've finally decided on a wedding reception/ceremony venue and now am trying to price out a caterer. Can anyone recommend a good caterer in the Newport area that can work with a budget? Ideally we would like to work from the ground up on a menu, because we simply don't need tons of hors d'oeuvres and appetizers and a dessert table, etc etc. Thanks in advance!

Re: Caterers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Morin's and they have been very sympathetic to our budget and created a custom menu based on that. You should contact Liza at elizabeth@morins.com. She's been fantastic to work with and just got married and planned her wedding from out of state-so she definitely understands  the budget etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Barbara from Glorious Affairs is awesome... she really worked with us to get us the most for our money and will alter her menu to fit your tastes no matter how crazy!
    I'm psyched to be using her for my April wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely going to look into these suggestions! Has anyone ever worked with Emery's?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am working with Lisa @ Pranzi.... she's the owner.  She wanted our business and made it very worth while for us to go with her....  and we loved her anyway.  She was one of the only caterers that did a tasting wth us before even commiting to going with her!  I can't say enough great things about her!  Check her out! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also using Barbara from Glorious Affairs. She has been alot of fun to work with and constantly emphasizes making decisions to your tastes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    West Bay Gourmet!  I didn't even use them and that's my rec.  I've heard SO MANY good things about them!!

There is a location near my house that says it's Emery Catering.  Looks like a $hithole.  Sorry, but it does. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    smitbreitsmitbreit member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Pranzi for my June 2009 wedding.  I cannot say enough about them!  Food was great (people are still talking about it), LIsa is awesome (all of your details will be taken care of) and the price was right!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Really about Emery Catering? They came highly recommended, hmmm. That stinks. I contacted Pranzi and Glorious Affairs and hopefully I'll hear back soon. Food is my favorite thing so sampling should be the best part of the planning!
  • Options
    sg123sg123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have actually heard really good things about Pranzi too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are using Amalfi Caterers- www.amalficaterers.com, We just went to a tasting they had this past Saturday and all the food was DELICIOUS!!  I have been dealing with Alyson- she has been awesome so far!  She worked within our budget and is always available whenever I call/email.  We are having our wedding in Narragansett, but I'm pretty sure that they cater in Newport, etc.
    We are using Scrumptions for our cake baker- they have been awesome as well!
    Good Luck!Cool
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with RIChick.  We're using amalfi and I love Alyson.  My fi keeps joking that I should marry her!  But seriously, she is so competent... and if you're on a budget she will find a way to make it inexpensive but nice.  She really respects that money can be an issue and is willing to tweak the menu.  For example, during the cocktail hour I wanted 4 passed hors d'ouevres and a clam cake and chowder station.  Each were about 8 dollars a person, and with 100 people, thats 800 dollars!  So, I sadly said, lets get rid of the chowder station.  And she came up with the idea of making one of my hors d'ouevres a mini-cup of chowder with a clam cake on top.  Best of both worlds!  And I wanted a smores station after dinner.  It wasn't on their menu, but she said they'd do it anyway.  She will also take care of some rentals.  My venue has really ugly plastic chairs and she's taking care of renting nice white wooden chairs.  Anyway, the wedding hasn't happened yet, but based on my experience so far, I'd definitely recommend amalfi!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You have to contact Mary Beth Hunte at Blackston Caterers! Not only is the food incredible and they are always on recommended vendor lists, but she let me keep my budget of $68.00 per person with a menu so big people will not leave hungry. She knows all the venues, is so easy to work with and probably the best catering manager I've found since I booked her last may.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been in touch with all the caterers you guys have suggested. All are super nice but I'm thinking my budget must just be way low because everything seems priced out of reach. How much are you all budgeting for food/drinks per person?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With Amalfi we're doing about 72 per guest (max 90 adults guests) for food, bartenders, linens, glasses, plates, rented white chairs, set up and clean up, all staff and food.  For food that gets us 4 passed hors d'ouvres, cheese and fruit and crackers table, a pasta station with one pasta option, a grill with 2 options (chicken and steak or something like that), a seafood station with 2 options, and a smores station after dinner and a coffee and tea station.  We're providing our own auntie-made cupcakes and buying alcohol wholesale, and I don't know yet how much that will cost per person (we'll probably have about 80 over 21), but I'm budgeting about 1500ish for beer, wine, champagne and hopefully a signature cocktail.   Alyson is charging us 11 dollars per eating child for penne with butter and chicken fingers.   It's not cheap, but it's not over the top either.  I don't know what your budget is, but she will work with you.  I basically said, this is what we can afford, this is what we want, and she tried to make it happen.  We had to cut back a few things, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.  I love food and this was one area I didn't want to skimp... good luck!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just did some research on alcohol costs... check out this website for an idea.  http://www.evite.com/pages/party/drink-calculator.jsp

Alyson from amalfi is providing the bartenders for us and glassware, but letting us provide the alcohol.  she is putting us in touch with a wholesaler who will buy back anything that is unopened, so that's another way you can save.
  • Options
    BunksBunks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with Simply Devine Catering for our Aug 09 wedding and we really loved them- food was phenomenal and affordable, and their open bar package I found to be REALLY resonalble.  I'd go with them again in a heartbeat.  Good luck searching! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards