Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Re: DD

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First post for a competing vendor?
  • edited December 2011
    Um I have had Buttercream cakes at three different weddings and all three times I had more then one piece because they were so good.  Also, arent MOST brides on a budget?  Therefore, wouldn't the people who work there be able to safely assume that a bride who is interested in using them is on a budget?  JMO

I agree with pp.  Also, isnt it against TK board laws to actually bash a vendor?
  • edited December 2011
    I think the technical rule is that you can express any opinion you wish on a vendor, but the vendor has the right to respond and then the thread is closed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • samatsonsamatson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a tasting at Buttercream in Minnetonka and had a wonderful experience.  The cake was great and the owner was extremely helpful and friendly.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Here's the thing... If you're expecting to have something very unique and personalized for a wedding cake involving things like color matching or multiple options, lots of unique match your dress type stuff on a tight budget, probably not the place for you from the start..  If you want a go in, pick the white/cream cake out of the photo options, and done, pay the lady at the counter, they're the place to go!  Simple as can be. 

OTOH, they do have a business model that works for them, produce a lot of cakes with decent taste and get them out the door to a boatload of events each week/end.  They aren't going to be designing something incredibly unique given the sheer volume they produce, but they are going to get the cake there on time for your event and it'll taste just fine... 

Also, every vendor you work with knows you're on a budget, it's a matter of being realistic with what you're giving them to work with.  If you're expecting any vendor for that matter to lower their prices because you've got a figure in your head for what YOU consider reasonable, it's just not going to happen in some cases.  Buttercream has a pretty set pricing structure.  If you don't like it, go check with some other bakers and see what's the most reasonable option for you and maybe you'll find one that you click better with.  Just because you don't like the first photographer doesn't mean there aren't others out there (just insert different vendor type)... 

I'm not defending nor bashing, they just weren't the right fit for you and being it's your first post I'm with the PP in that it's a bit sketchy...  Maybe next time buffer the challenge you had with a vendor with asking for recommendations for other places to check out in the area because the gals here are FANTASTIC about giving recommendations within your budget in your specific area of the cities. 

• NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my tasting at Buttercream in Minnetonka with my mom, and not only was the lady super helpful and nice, but she gave me two free fullsized cupcakes to take home to my fiance to try along with a whole 'nother set of cake wheels so he could taste everything.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• edited December 2011
    The more nice things I hear about this place the more I am starting to think OP is MUD or a vendor talking not so nice about a competitor...
  • edited December 2011

My sister used Buttercream cake for her wedding and everyone RAVED about the taste and she couldn't have been happier with her experience... Genevieve04 may have had a bad experience, but I wouldn't rule them out based on that experience alone.... I know I am going to use them for my wedding and I can't wait :)

• jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like I"m not with the majority on this one.  I had a tasting there and was not impressed.  They had "lost" our appointment info and had nothing prepared for us.  The woman was not helpful and really made it easy for me to check them off our list.  However, that being said, I'm sure each experience with any vendor is different.  Sounds like some girls had great experiences with buttercream.
  • edited December 2011
    Whoa!  I haven't been here in a long time, but I am researching for my sister's upcoming wedding.  I got married in 2005 and spent many hours here back in the day.  Anyway, I don't know if it's real or not, but OP has a point.  They also "lost" our appointment when we went there, were very rude to us because we didn't have an appointment (even though I played THEIR confirmation message from my cell phone 2 days before) and overall acted like they really didn't want our business.  The cake, however, was very good.  We ended up going with someone else in the long run, but I do enjoy their cakes when I attend weddings. 
  • edited December 2011
    I havent been on the boards at all since my september wedding, and before then only replied a few times. But the mpls boards were super helpful in my planning. I just have to comment that I sort of agree with the OP, my tasting at buttercream in St. Paul was not very impressive. The two people we talked to were fairly rude and didnt seem to care if they got our business or not. The cake was good though. In the end, we decided  that it was out of our budget, and the cake (to us) didnt taste any better than Roseville Bakery, which is who we went with in the end. We got cupcakes there and they were amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards