New Jersey
Options

HM - Did you use a travel agent?

I am starting to plan our HM as my FI and I just agreed on a place Italy. We definitely know where we want to go Rome (for the majority of time), Florence, and Venice. For those that went to Europe for their HM did you use a travel agent? If so, who did you use? Did you feel like you got a better deal? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: HM - Did you use a travel agent?

• Options
    G&G2010G&G2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Italy for 2 weeks in the beginning of September. Our trip was planned by Dominick of Best Tuscan Tours. He was gave us a ton of options for hotels, dining & activities that were really helpful. We really enjoyed working with him and would highly recommend his company. (He grew up in NJ and moved to Florence many years ago when he started the luxury tour company.)

We spoke with him several times through Skype and feel that he really got to know our personalities and provided great suggestions for our trip. He took care of everything from the minute we stepped off the plane to the minute his driver brought us back to the airport! We will definitely have him plan another trip to Italy for us (if we can ever afford to go back again!)

Email: info@besttuscantours.it

We stayed in Portofino (Hotel Splendido), Florence (Villa San Michele), Rome (Hotel Campo Dei Fiore) & Positano (Le Sirenuse). Dominick was able to get us the best rates on all of the hotels & all of the transfers. I'm not positive, but I think when you book through an agent you can save on the VAT tax.

Rome was one of our favorites. While there we took a private cooking class with Daniela Delbaso (I can find out her info if you are interested) and we had such a great time! We also had a private tour of the Vatican, which was worth it because I would not have enjoyed it with a large group. Another favorite part of our trip was a private wine tasting at a castle in Chianti when we stayed in Florence.  

Have a wonderful time!

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got back from our honeymoon two weeks ago and had a wonderful time. We did not book through a travel agent and found that we were able to get better prices booking on our own. We went to London, Paris, Florence, and Rome and booked everything oursevles. I will say however- it was a little overwhelming to book and manage all the honeymoon details while also planning the wedding. You know yourselves best and if you're a planner I'd say you can save some money booking on your own, but if your budget isn't tight a travel agent may be easier. If you'd like any specific recommendations feel free to email me! swalcheski at gmail dot com.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) and we decided to use a travel agent. Mostly because I didn't feel like dealing with it and I wanted someone that would just tell me what places were good and where to stay. The cost was pretty standard from what others have told me that have been to Hawaii. We are using Liberty Travel.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Hawaii and used a travel agent, but I know she books vacations in Italy as well.  Check out Mindy.  Her website is Myvacationlady.com  . Reasons we used her, she's knowledgeable.  If there is a problem she can fix it.  We always take out trip insurance just in case.  I have known so many people who have had issues because they didn't book through a TA and problems with flights and if there is an issue with weather, etc. and your flight is canceled, she works to get you home faster than if you were to do it yourself.  I would use a TA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards