Michigan-Detroit

Inexpensive Photography

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping you might have some suggestions that I haven't tried.  I've been through all the stickies, I've tried Google, and I even tried Craigslist.  Photography is important to me, but I have a very small budget.  I was hoping to get 2 photographers at around $1500, but the problem is that it will be around 8-10 hours.  I know that's asking for a lot, but I'm willing to use someone who is new as long as I like their work.  I've looked at the Camera Chick, but there's something about her work that just doesn't sit well with me (I think it's all the angles).  I fell in love with Wally Spice Photography, but they're just way out of my price range.  I'm looking for a mix of photojournalism and traditional.  Any suggestions?

Re: Inexpensive Photography

• edited December 2011
    I'm using Amy from Pure Amour Photography for 8 hours at $1,500. She's really friendly and down to earth and I'm so excited!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Amanda Williams, she is $1350 and she goes 2 hours before your ceremony until 10:30 pm.  Plus you get all of the rights to the photos, and a leather book full of your edited pics.  Super awesome!  She is pretty booked though...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • db1985db1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Amy from Pure Amour.  We went with her smaller, 5 hour package, but her work is amazing!!
  • edited December 2011
    Just for the record you shouldn't really come on theknot and say things about vendors that are strictly based on your "artistict vision" The Camera Chick is a wonderful photographer. Many people on here use her. She did my engagement pictures and my wedding. Since then she has done SEVERAL weddings, engagement sessions, and family pictures for people Ithat were at my wedding, based on my sessions alone! Since then her work has only gone from great to extraordinary. She has excellent customer service, her pictures will blow anyones out of the water, and she absolutely loves what she does. It is one thing to say you have looked at her pictures and have decided to go in another direction; but to say that her pictures dont' sit well with you is rude and wierd.  She is an excellent photographer at an excellent price and people would be sadly mistaken not to check her out!
    You know what they say about opions............... If you don't pm me and I will fill you in!
  • drewmwdrewmw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Essence of Life Photography. I have two shooters for 5 hours for less than $900. Check out their website!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
    image 167 Made the list
    image 115 Accept
    image 46 Decline
    image 6 Not ready to decide
    RSVP deadline: June 8
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Susan - I dont think there's anything wrong with not choosing a vendor based on her reasons. These are going to be her wedding photos and if she isn't blown away by what she has seen, she should move on. That doesn't mean the photos aren't good it just means they aren't her style. For what it's worth there is a photographer who is highly respected and whose photos people love... But I don't. They kit aren't my style. No big deal they just weren't what I wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with you Liz, but she should say just that and leave it alone. I have seen plenty of other photos that i like that weren't from The Camera Chick and would never say, I didn't pick so and so because "It didn't sit well with me".

People should be allowed to form their own ideas and not have them tainted by someone else. This is a place to get ideas and help. Its not fair to peopel that have never seen the camera chicks work to have that be the first thing they hear about her.

I agree that if she doesn't like them she shouldn't pick her. But that should be the end of it.
  • matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that any rational person would be unduly pressured by stacie's statements here about the work of a particular photographer.  She neither claimed that she was unprofessional nor that her work was unskilled; she merely stated that the style of her photography didn't leave her with the overall feeling that she was hoping for from her wedding pictures (which, in turn, could help others on this thread narrow down the types of photographers that they might want to recommend to her).

I agree that we shouldn't randomly bash vendors on this board, but I don't think that we should be limited to a "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" policy, especially when what you're saying is purely your stylistic opinion and not one about the quality of a vendor's work.  If I was looking for a baker and said "I looked at The Cupcakery, but I'm just not feeling cupcakes; I feel like I've seen then everywhere lately," that in no way would imply that their cupcakes suck, nor that I  think that no one else should have cupcakes.  It's just my personal preference.  And anyone who would immediately discount the idea of cupcakes after reading that is a pretty pathetically sway-able person.  In my book.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess i just read it as "I checked her out, didn't like her work, who else can you recommend?". And Stacie most like included this tidbit so she didn't receive a whole thread of people recommending her or photographers with a similar style. I wouldn't worry about people being turned off to her work by this one thread. She comes highly recommended and is always one of the first to be recommended. I know you feel very passionately about her (and that's a great thing!) but her reputation will still be intact :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Kris from Kreativ Imaging. Packages start at $700 and his samples are wonderful! You can also change the package up to the day before your wedding if you change your mind!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Go with Amanda Williams, if she is available.  You will not regret it.  My wedding was just this past weekend and she sent me sneak peek photos by the next morning that are beyond amazing.  I would pay double what she charges and I've only seen a few of my pictures so far.  That says a ton!

Good luck!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, Amanda Williams, if you can get her. 
  • jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Amy Pruder Photographer is $595 for unlimited, just one photog though.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • edited December 2011

I posted my message because in the past, everyone has been great about giving suggestions and opinions.  I thought part of the point of these message boards was to solicit other people's opinions which you can then use to make your own judgements as opposed to going to someone's website which typically only has the glowing reviews.  I don't understand the defensiveness.  Everyone is entitled to their opinon especially as it relates to creative work like photography.

As Liz indicated, my comment about the Camera Chick was meant as a way to curb any posts offering her as a suggestion because when I looked at prior posts, she was often recommended when anyone asked about inexpensive photography.  The Camera Chick has nice photography and she was very warm and friendly when I met with her.  In fact, she was my top choice out of all of the photographers that I looked at in my budget range until I found out today that she booked another wedding for my date.  Still, I wasn't sure that her photography exactly fit my vision which is why I asked for suggestions and now I'm glad that I did since she booked my date.

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions.  Unfortunately, Amanda Williams is booked for my date.  I will definitely check out the others and please keep the suggestions coming.

• edited December 2011
    I hope you find something! I am using Mike Staff which I don't think would be considered "inexpensive" but it's very convenient if you don't find anyone else who fits your vision!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_inexpensive-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:d3af84ec-be14-4437-9761-815a061dd198Post:a39e63a6-ebc7-4114-adb4-a93e1d88c9a1">Re: Inexpensive Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted my message because in the past, everyone has been great about giving suggestions and opinions.  I thought part of the point of these message boards was to solicit other people's opinions which you can then use to make your own judgements as opposed to going to someone's website which typically only has the glowing reviews.  I don't understand the defensiveness.  Everyone is entitled to their opinon especially as it relates to creative work like photography. As Liz indicated, my comment about the Camera Chick was meant as a way to curb any posts offering her as a suggestion because when I looked at prior posts, she was often recommended when anyone asked about inexpensive photography.  The Camera Chick has nice photography and she was very warm and friendly when I met with her.  In fact, she was my top choice out of all of the photographers that I looked at in my budget range until I found out today that she booked another wedding for my date.  Still, I wasn't sure that her photography exactly fit my vision which is why I asked for suggestions and now I'm glad that I did since she booked my date. Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions.  Unfortunately, Amanda Williams is booked for my date.  I will definitely check out the others and please keep the suggestions coming.
    Posted by Stacie1224[/QUOTE]

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and I don't understand why all of the defensiveness either. If the Camera Chick isn't your style that is fine, everyone has different taste. Nothing you said in your original post was wrong or against The Camera Chick in my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I booked the Camera Chick!! She is amazing, down to earth, fun, and listens to what YOU like.
  • I used pictures by Kathleen.  Kathleen was very creative, easy to work with and a great price.  810-320-5130 or info@picturesbykathleen.com or picturesbykathleen.com.  She is out of Port Huron, but does and will travel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards