Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Not a proud V.I. resident today

I don't know if anyone has heard, but a 14 year old cruise ship passenger was shot and killed yesterday here on the island.  She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and we on the island are very saddened and outraged over this senseless act of violence.  I have read so many articles online that I will not post a link, but just type cruise ship passenger killed on st. thomas in google and you'll see.  Crime is very bad here, and it's getting to the point that it doesn't matter what time of day it is.  This happened in broad daylight while they were burying a man that was shot and killed a week or so ago in front of the mall, the same mall that I had just left about 10 minutes before the shooting.  So please keep this young girls family in your T&P as they prepare to the leave the island and start planning a funeral for a life taken way to early. Cry

Re: Not a proud V.I. resident today

• Options
    Oh wow!  I am so saddened by this.  This is horrible.  I don't understand why people are so senseless.  All my T & P go out to this family! 
    imageExerciseMilestone Anniversary
  • Options
    I saw this on cruise critic earlier this morning, it is very sad :(

I always thought St. Thomas was such a safe island, and from what I've been reading over there its really not?  The family will be in my T&P..
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • Options
    That's horrible.  I can't believe that people would have so little regard for human life.  I hope they find the murderers.
  • Options
    Oh no :( That's so incredibly sad. Lots of T&P for the young girl's family.
    You stay safe as well! That is so scary that you were at that same mall just before the shooting!  
  • Options
    They have three in custody but are still looking for one more.  An 18 year old resident was also killed and that brought our murder total to 47 for the year so far.  I try not to talk about the crime here because I don't want to discourage anyone from coming here, but it is pretty bad and it's getting worse.  The sad part is that our police force is so corrupt they aren't any help either.  We need the FEDS.
  • Options
    shannonG2011shannonG2011 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    WOW. I did NOT know about all this. I'm glad you posted this here...I don't know if you saw the thread I started earlier today, titled "New and in need of help", but I wrote asking for help on getting married on St. Thomas. I haven't booked anything yet, including the cruise...but do you suggest looking elsewhere? Or is that being too paranoid?

And that is SO sad for that poor girl and especially the family who had to witness it! Unbelievable that such a happy family event could turn so tragic! In my T&P's for certain.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, so sad to hear this :( T & P's go out to everyone involved!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Oh no!  How horrible!  I'm checking google right now to see what I find.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Shannon, like I said, I don't like to talk about crime here because I don't want anyone to not come here because of it.  St. Thomas is gorgeous and everyone that I know that has come here has had a blast and went home with great memories.  I cannot tell you to come or not, you will need to make that decision on your own.  I have lived here for 3 years now and I wouldn't change it for the world, I love it here! 
  • Options
    oh my gosh that is awful! Im not gonna lie that does make me scared! Where was she...well, I can just google it
  • Options
    Omg this is so sad. I'll keep her in my T&P

Wedding Bio

New Married Blog
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker ~Pamela&Steven~6.25.2011~PuntaCana,DR~ image
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    wow that is soo sad. t&ps for her family.

shannonG- St. thomas is a gorgeous spot in the carribean among many other spots, but u have to keep in mind that theyre is violence everywhere, and this could have happened anywhere, even in the most beautiful spots.
  • Options
    I heard the news this am..very sad and my t & p go out to the family.
  • Options
    That is just so very sad. You always worry about your kids and as the mother of a 17 year old I don't know what I would do faced with a tragedy like this. My T&P to this family. Hugs to you Dew.
  • Options
    Woooow. This is very sad :( Make sure you keep yourself safe!

imageimage

Married: November 24 & 25, 2010 in Costa Rica

My Planning Bio - updated 11.14.10

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    T&P's to the girl's loved ones. Denise, I'm so glad you are safe - please stay that way!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Keep yourself safe!  T & P's go out to that girls family...way too soon for her to leave this life.

• Options
    I heard an OR nurse talking about this today and was amazed to hear something like that happened there (as was she considering she's traveling there in the next 3 months).  That is just so sad, and so young.  Crime happens everywhere unfortunately and tragedies like this often remind all of us how fragile life is and how we must always keep up our guard.  Many T&P for her family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards