Christian Weddings

A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)

Not that big of a deal in the long run I suppose, but . . . . I started the pill yesterday, my first BC ever. FI and I have both practiced abstinence and we only have 10 more weeks of waiting Wink  This kinda feels like a special moment - I feel like taking BC is a monumental thing in my life b/c (for me), it's another step to becoming a married woman Laughing.

In a few months, I'll probably be irritated that I have to remember to take this thing every single day! But at least for now, I'm going to enjoy my exciting new step into life as a married woman, lol.

Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)

• That's funny, I remember having that same thought/feeling.  9+ years later, it barely registers on my radar anymore.  In fact, it's gotten so automatic that sometimes I have to double check because I can't remember if I took it or not!

Just a word of warning, your body doesn't always like the first pill you're on.  It took a couple of tries for my dr and I to find the right one, which meant that even though I started 4 months pre-wedding, H and I had to use condoms for the first month of our marriage to ensure prevention.  I can't remember if it's 1 or 2 cycles you have to be on it before they consider it to be working.
  • Yeah, I felt a bit that way too when I started as well.  If you're worried about taking it at the same time every day, and if you have a smart phone, you can set an alarm as a reminder.  But it becomes such a habit, you won't really forget.  The times where you can miss taking it on time is when you're out and don't have a chance to get away from people.  (I take mine at 10 PM, so if I'm at a friend's out for a party or something, that can be a little problematic.)  Anyways, the first few days can make you feel ill... I felt nausea and it made my migraines out of control, so I had to adjust my migraine meds.  But your body adjusts. Hope it goes well! 
  • congrats!
    I agree with the PP's. It can take a couple months for your body to get used to the Pill. And I also agree about it becoming habit taking the pill daily. TMI warning, I had HORRIBLE periods prior to taking the pill and now they are literally like clockwork now and my cramps have reduced drastically.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PPs about getting used to it, and don't be afraid to ask questions to your GP. I went on it and within a month they agreed we needed to change in twice.... there's nothing wrong with that, that's why there are some many different kinds, just listen to your body :)
  • yay!  Remembering to take it every day isn't too bad.  It really becomes automatic.

TMI...My first period on BC was horrible. Really heavy with some serious cramps.  After that things were fine though.  It can take some time to adjust, so don't worry if the first month is rough!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't respond sooner - I had already gone to bed. I'm hoping I won't have any problems. The dr said if I started on the FIRST day of my next period, then it would actually be affective right away. Apparently if you start at any other time, then it could take 2 months to be affective. I had never heard of that, but I hope it's true. My period was coming very soon so I just waited a few days after I got the BC and then started.

I have a smartphone and already set a reminder to go off every day at 5pm! I'm usually home from work by then and not around others (and not sleeping!) so I think that will work fine. Yesterday I actually forgot (even with the reminder) b/c I was in Walmart at the time and just took it around 5:45. I'm hoping that's close enough. Won't make it a habit, though, of taking it late.

So far, no symptoms, but it's only been 2 days.

Thanks for the responses!
  • It is a step!! Don't worry it becomes habit after awhile!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_a-monumental-moment-in-my-life-perhaps-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a9de9e74-adb7-4c3f-bfb9-8e457ca95947Post:03c60e5e-c01d-4629-8dc2-29ea0dd4200d">Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>That's funny, I remember having that same thought/feeling.  9+ years later, it barely registers on my radar anymore.  In fact, it's gotten so automatic that sometimes I have to double check because I can't remember if I took it or not!</strong> Just a word of warning, your body doesn't always like the first pill you're on.  It took a couple of tries for my dr and I to find the right one, which meant that even though I started 4 months pre-wedding, H and I had to use condoms for the first month of our marriage to ensure prevention.  I can't remember if it's 1 or 2 cycles you have to be on it before they consider it to be working.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    Thiiiisss.  I've had to take the BC Pill as treatment for a medical condition since I was 16.  Eight years later, I don't even notice the thing.  I have an alarm that goes off on my phone every night at 10:00 p.m. to remind me to take it before bed.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Gosh, I never ever remember to take it. I have been o nand off the pill for medical reasons (PCOS) since 16, but I have never gotten into the habit...

But forming new habits is always ridiculously hard for me. You lucky people you.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Haha, definitely understand on having to double check because of autopilot in taking it!  Sometimes I can't remember if I have taken my meds, and I sometimes get disorganized by taking the pills out of order on the little calendar planning thing.  Not a good thing! 
  • So, I don't take BC but I'm having to take a pill at the same time everyday for PCOS and I can totally relate to the whole second nature thing. The alarm goes off and I reach for the pill bottle. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_a-monumental-moment-in-my-life-perhaps-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a9de9e74-adb7-4c3f-bfb9-8e457ca95947Post:9c7d6885-3444-485e-ab29-7533264f2560">Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gosh, I never ever remember to take it. I have been o nand off the pill for medical reasons (PCOS) since 16, but I have never gotten into the habit... But forming new habits is always ridiculously hard for me. You lucky people you.
    Posted by RyansBelovedBride[/QUOTE]

For the past few years I've been taking allergy medication every day too, and if I don't my nose and eyes remind me....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am dealing with this right now.  I have been on my period for two weeks now and I am pissed.  But they are like well it takes two cycles to get used to it but if I don't stop next week I am changing.  I am really not into BC right now lol..  I also had horrible cramps for 7 days.  Sorry not to scare you but I am so frustrated with how it is going right now. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_a-monumental-moment-in-my-life-perhaps-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a9de9e74-adb7-4c3f-bfb9-8e457ca95947Post:bac6de30-acd8-4c2a-9d54-ae9272116eca">Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am dealing with this right now.  I have been on my period for two weeks now and I am pissed.  But they are like well it takes two cycles to get used to it but if I don't stop next week I am changing.  I am really not into BC right now lol..  I also had horrible cramps for 7 days.  Sorry not to scare you but I am so frustrated with how it is going right now.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

it takes time for you body to adjust. I would give it a little more time before changing it up because you could get ever more off "kilter"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_a-monumental-moment-in-my-life-perhaps-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a9de9e74-adb7-4c3f-bfb9-8e457ca95947Post:bac6de30-acd8-4c2a-9d54-ae9272116eca">Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am dealing with this right now.  I have been on my period for two weeks now and I am pissed.  But they are like well it takes two cycles to get used to it but if I don't stop next week I am changing.  I am really not into BC right now lol..  I also had horrible cramps for 7 days.  Sorry not to scare you but I am so frustrated with how it is going right now.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that! I hope it gets regular soon! My period is acting normal so far, after 3 days of BC, so hopefully it won't continue on for 2 weeks! That sucks.
  • congrats! I remember feeling "all grown up" when I started BC last year. In regards to the comment about it sucking....it sucked for me for the first 3 months, I was bloated, getting cramps, got really heavy periods and then spotting in between....but after those months now its gotten so light and only last 2-3 days tops and I dont spot anymore and have no other side effects. So my advice, just deal with your body getting used to it and dont panic right away, some peoples bodies just take longer then others to get used to it. My doctor said that if it took longer then 3 months to start being 'normal', then we would look into different brands etc, but all good now! And I love having the ability to move and/or skip periods when needed! Makes planning a wedding much easier! (Before being on BC my periods were so unpredictable...could be as early as 3 weeks as late as 6 weeks, no one really knows why)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Like the others have said, it will become a habit, for the most part. Just a big FYI, the first month I was on BC was awful, I was "starving" irritable, moody, and had very bad migraines. Since then It's been fine. 
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_a-monumental-moment-in-my-life-perhaps-tmi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a9de9e74-adb7-4c3f-bfb9-8e457ca95947Post:7458cb8c-bdfe-4ecf-a583-d128363937b4">Re: A monumental moment in my life . . . (perhaps TMI)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like the others have said, it will become a habit, for the most part. Just a big FYI, the first month I was on BC was awful, I was "starving" irritable, moody, and had very bad migraines. Since then It's been fine. 
    Posted by drama1308[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that doesn't sound good. Well, if I do start to have those kind of symptoms, I will definitely persevere and hope that it regulates soon. So far, no symptoms, but I'm just getting started, so we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards