New York-Upstate

Old Forge Wedding: Need Vendor Advice

Hi Old Forge brides!  I'm getting married at the North Woods Inn in Old Forge.  In the midst of signing the contract, we found out that the old owners were selling the place to new people.  The old owners gave us some advice for vendors, but we need more suggestions, and the new owners don't know about the local businesses.

I have tracked down some reliable businesses in the area for photography, florist, and hair/makeup (and will be willing to share the info if you want it), but I am looking for the following:

1.  Someone to shuttle our guests from the reception to the hotel (apparently the man who used to do this for people in the area just passed away in September).

2.  Bakery for the wedding cake.  The old owners told me about Gimme Some Sugar in Eagle Bay, but I would like to know about others as well.

3.  Ceremony music:  our priest (in Indian Lake) suggested a woman and her husband, but we would like more options if they don't work out.

Thanks in advance, and I will gladly share any information that I do have, if you are looking for it!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Puppy Love

Re: Old Forge Wedding: Need Vendor Advice

• burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about Band or DJ?
    Burt and Cheryl
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I am getting married there as well on Sept 24, 2011 and found out about the owner change (after signing the contract in early July with no mention of a sale) because I saw it on the North Woods page on Facebook just before the new owners took over in Sept. Have you met with the new owner yet?  We did and she was very nice. 

We are using a DJ from the Albany area who is willing to travel (we know her through the Shriners).  Let me know if you would like her name.

Are you from the Indian Lake area or do you have family there? My fiance's parents live in Indian Lake and they have friends who know someone who is getting married there so I wonder if that's you? 
  • garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey, yeah we were in the process of signing and returning the contract when we found out from the old owners about the sale.  We were very nervous to sign the contract without having met the new owners yet.  So we called NWI and spoke with the new owners.  They seem very experienced.  We finally got a chance to meet the wife in person, and she seems great.  The only downside is that she doesn't know the area and can't give vendor advice.

To answer your other question, my FI and I are both from NJ.  My FI's parents have a vacation home in Indian Lake (they have extended family that lives in Indian Lake as permanent residents).  Since we really enjoy the Adirondacks, and we got engaged in the Adirondacks, we wanted to get married there too.

Puppy Love
  • edited December 2011
    I am sending you a private message :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Garcias1
             I am getting married at the Woods Inn in Inlet, NY so I have been looking for vendors as well.
    1. I know there is the Bernie bus company that does school busing in the area. They might have limoe buses as well.

2. I have a family friends making my cake, but a few place to try might be:
    Mary's White Pine Bakery (Inlet, NY) - I know they do bday cakes
    Nathan's Bakery (Old Forge, NY) -

There is one more name the Woods Inn gave us, that I can not remember off the top of my head, but I will post it later.

3. If you find any ceremony music people I would love the sugestions! I haven;'t thoguht that far ahead yet!

Good Luck! Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CandiceAdamCandiceAdam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies, I am planning on signing a contract with the North Woods Inn but have been waiting on the new owners for info. since they took over. I am starting to lose faith in these guys and I haven't even really started anything with them. What do you think about your experince so far? I had originally spoke to the old owners when I picked the place and they too failed to mention they would be selling in the near future. Also any info on local vendors would be a great help. Finding an affordable photographer in the area seems like it is going to be a challenge.
    horiz mini sig
  • garcias1garcias1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hi Candice,
    Honestly it's totally up to you.  I haven't had a great track record with them recently as far as getting back to me, so I pester them with phone calls.  Apparently right now they are switching over their computer system, so maybe that has something to do with it.  It is making it harder for them to take reservations, etc.
    I am going with AJ Photography out of New Hartford.  The old owner suggested them.  She also suggested Territo Photography, but I called them, and the guy who answered didn't speak English very well, and I think he hung up on me.

DoubleUp,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  We found ceremony music.  The priest who is doing our ceremony suggested her.  But I know that the Dee Jay Network (out of Yorkville, NY) has a guy who plays the piano and can do ceremony music.  You might want to contact them, and see if they can help you.

Puppy Love
  • edited December 2011
    Hey ladies!  I'm getting married right up the road from Old Forge in Inlet in September and I'm having a really hard finding a vendor for catering.  Do any of  you have contacts for catering?  I don't want the run of the mill barbeque or anything.  We have a few things that we'd like to see in particular for our wedding but I have yet to contact anyone up there.  Hope you all are having a little more luck with the folks up in Old Forge at the Inn. When is everyone getting married up there?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    image 52 of our Closest Friends and Family
    image 30 Are ready to cut a rug! image 22 Are missing out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Old Forge weddings - I, too, am trying to schedule a wedding in Inlet and a reception in Old Forge.  The Seventh Lake House in Inlet has THE best food in the area.  Jim Holt is the owner/chef and we are meeting with him in two weeks, hopefully. He's busy on weekends coaching x-country, but will call back if you persist on leaving messages at the Seventh Lake House answering machine.  They cater, plus there is a restaurant on Seventh Lake for very small weddings.  Trying to find a ceremony location safe from rain in the Inlet/Old Forge area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Big Moose Community Chapel is absolutely lovely, if you want an a.m.wedding, and can afford them.  We are interested in St. Olaf's Chapel in Inlet as it is a Norwegian church, and my fiance is of Scandinavian descent.  However, it is only open seasonally and haven't been able to gather any info on that chapel.  May I recommend Pedals and Petals florist in Inlet?  They are very nice and good.  I would suggest, if you can't find vendors in Old Forge, look to the Utica/Rome area as some may be willing to travel- about an hour to an hour and a half away from Old Forge/Inlet.
  • scifigurl16scifigurl16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For those of you looking for reception sites still, the new arts center in Old Forge in absolutely GORGEOUS, although, it's on the pricy side for Old Forge.  Also, McCauley Mountain is a good idea for smaller weddings and a cute setting.  

I'm also having trouble finding a caterer, unfortunately, the one we've been working with will not work out.  
  • edited December 2011
    I've decided to pass on Petals and Pedals for my floral needs as the quote she gave me was ridiculous...stinks because she was really nice too.  I'm getting married at one of the homes in Inlet, but still need help finding either a caterer, or what's looking like the better option right now, a chef and maybe two staff members to pass food out to our guests.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    image 52 of our Closest Friends and Family
    image 30 Are ready to cut a rug! image 22 Are missing out!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Old Forge/Inlet brides,
    Some suggestions for vendors:

Caterer - Again, I cannot sing enough praises for Jim Holt of the Seventh Lake House.  He's catering our smallish wedding at the Thendara Golf Club.

Transportation - If you don't mind a small school bus, Dan Murdock is supposed to be reasonable. I have yet to contact him., but hie's in the telephone book.

For flowers, I'd suggest checking out Olney's Flowers in Rome, NY - they might be less than Pedals and Petals.  They will travel to Old Forge/Inlet.

Any suggestions on resonably priced bands for the reception, anyone?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, 

I also signed a contract with the old owners and has a horrible time trying to get a hold of the new owners. We finally had a meeting and dinner with the new owners and they are awesome. I was very apprehensive at first due to all the changes without notification but the food was amazing and Marie is very nice and accomodating. One thing they do need to do and my father pointed it out was some repairs to the landscape and parking area. Other than that I would say call her and not email and you should be able to get a hold of them.
  • edited December 2011
    More Old Forge/Inlet vendor advice:  
    Another cake place in Old Forge - Nathan's Bakery

A woman's name I received that makes many delicious wedding cakes in the area, or so I've been told, is Trish Sehring or Schring in Inlet. Probably in the telephone book.  If not, private message me and I'll give info.

If you are looking for a florist that will travel to Old Forge from Rome, NY try Petals of Rome on North James St.  Leslie is the manager, very nice.  Helpful and not as expensive as Olneys of Rome, or Pedals and Petals.

We are trying to find a website for St. Olaf's and have pretty much decided we like the chapel and want to have our ceremony there.  Very rustic and Norwegian at the same time.
  • CandiceAdamCandiceAdam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your still looking for a florist I would check out Kate at Mountain Greenery in Old Forge. I stopped in to see her in July and was very impressed. Her average prices are pretty reasonable and she is really creative and willing to work within a budget.
    http://www.mtgreenery.com/ her website doesn't have much on it other then an e-mail and phone number but she respondse to e-mails pretty quick.
    horiz mini sig
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards