Ohio-Cincinnati

Has anyone had their wedding at the Cincinnati Museum Center (Union Terminal)?

I'm going through possibilities of locations, and although I feel that it might be too high for us, my mind keeps going back to Union Terminal. I have called them, but no one has answered the phone through Deco. I see the food is extremely high (IMO) at 53pp. But it says nothing about facilities rental. Has anyone had experience with them? How much did it cost to rent a room (preferably the front entry and the rotunda.)

Also, do you have to do the wedding package for food? I would be just as happy doing their regular catering instead, and finding out how much the china/flatware and cake cutting costs.

Thanks girls. =)

Re: Has anyone had their wedding at the Cincinnati Museum Center (Union Terminal)?

• mandriettimandrietti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Cincinnati, but my wedding is in Columbus, so I didn't look at it for a wedding.  But, I've been working with them to plan our work holiday party this year.  I'm in the process of setting the visits, but so far they've been super responsive on email with all the info and helping me get a general pricing idea.  They've sent maps of the museum and helped make numerous suggestions for the flow of our event.  The person I've emailed with is Teri Heil THeil@cincymuseum.org and she's also copied Andrea Howard AHoward@cincymuseum.org who is another event coordinator.  Give those two a try and hopefully you will get something back!  GL!
  • SunBear22SunBear22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! Hopefully it won't be as expensive as I'm fearing, that would be my ultimate dream location! I'll send her an e-mail here in a bit. 
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked there and met with Andrea (super nice!  she let us into the museum for free that day.  I wanted to go see the cave!)

Anyway, from the info that I got, it's $2350 for the rental, and about $50-$60 per person.  Gratuity is not included, however I believe that parking was.

Additional items would be linens and chairs (if you wanted chivari chairs) and a dance floor (if you find it necessary). 

The thing that weirded my mom out about Union Terminal was that we couldn't have our reception until 6pm, and people would still be walking around the rotunda (there would be ropes set up) to get to the Omnimax.

Not to discourage you, it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! 

PM me if you would like additional information.  Andrea was VERY helpful in answer my emails and showing us around.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (I love the cave! And the old trolley, so cool.) The cost of the rental is surprisingly not as bad as I feared, but dang for food! I would HAVE to talk to the FI about spending so much on food. I contacted them to ask about doing just the sandwiches they offer on their regular catering with salad and drinks- waiting to hear back. 

I can see why she would be weirded out! I understand that people still need to get through, but that kind of puts me off a little.
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just had my wedding there.  Andrea is fantastic and was willing to negotiate stuff (for instance, we wanted open bar but didn't care as much about giving people food options).  They were great about special order meals for people with allergies and for children.

Personally, we chose to use the rooms off to the side of the rotunda.  The rotunda would be VERY loud and echo-y and would feel very big if you don't have a ton of people.  We spent $1100 on the rooms (one for ceremony/dancing, one for food) and we rented the Cincinnati Museum for an additional $800.  The good news is - there is no minimum.  Yes, parking is included.  No fees for anything else.  We also did our ketubah signing in the old President's office which was VERY cool.

It is a beautiful space.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a little worried about it feeling too big in there- but I have always dreamed of the rotunda hall. We will certainly check out the side rooms though! My great grandfather helped build union terminal- so I feel it's part of my family history too which makes me want to have it there even more. I'm glad to hear they are open to negiotiation about things, because some of it I want modify a little.

We are going to call Monday and get a viewing set up! I'm so excited.
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure if you have checked, but you may like the feel of the Cincinnati Art Museum also. It's a beautiful space, but its really expensive.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Expense killed the art museum for me, although that grand hall is so perfect. My FI was so excited by the idea of the terminal, it really shocked me!
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJs hate the rotunda b/c it echoes so much in there.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I have all of this info if you cannot get a hold of anyone. They were responsive to me a few months ago. Email me at amy underscore lynch71@yahoo.com if you want the whole huge attachment!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our wedding in the two rooms off of the rotunda next June. As the other posters have said, Andrea is very easy to work with and I know they can be flexible about the catering packages. If you marry on Friday night the room rentals are cheaper. If you choose to have a rehearsal the night before your ceremony, you pay a fee and get a DOC included.

The exact reverberation of the rotunda is a 5 second delay. REALLY difficult for the entertainment and the amplification. Consider the Losantiville and the Cincinnati Rooms for your ceremony and reception. The Cincinnati room has an awesome mural on the ceiling that was just uncovered and renovated.

PM me if you want more specifics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! It stinks that the echo is so bad in there, but not a killer- we will likely just use the two rooms as suggested. We don't have a ton of people coming either, so the side rooms might be a better option in that sense too. =) We are going to set-up a viewing as soon as we can. I really appreciate all the help! 
  • jetadore312jetadore312 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Sun Bear,

I had my wedding at Union Terminal in April. I can't say enough good things about it. We used the two side rooms (since our band was the first thing we booked and we wanted them to sound great). I will admit that it was probably on the more expensive side, but they took such good care of us and were willing to negotiate on most things. Andrea is the absolute best. We rented to the side rooms and the Cincy History Museum for cocktails (it was AWESOME IN THERE).....

Send me a PM if you want specifics :)

GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards