Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What's the new cupcake?

Cupcakes will forever be delicious, but trend wise- they have to be over. Is designer donuts the new thing? Is that over now too?
I mean cupcakes were big since pomegranates had their time and since then we already got the acai berry, goji, yerba mate, etc... What's the new cupcake? 

I've heard about designer ice pops but they aren't really servable at a wedding. What do you think is next? 

Re: What's the new cupcake?

• edited December 2011
    I'm doing cupcakes, so does that mean my wedding is outdated? 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • BrambleBerryBrambleBerry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No! Absolutely not--- cupcakes are delicious. I mean I'm doing a cake- how old school is that ? haha. I'm just talking about food trends in general
  • edited December 2011
    I see what you mean by it.  None of us ar e"Dated" by serving cupcakes or tiered cake but cupcakes definitely have been a trend lately. 
    I see cheesecakes or dessert bars (lots of different types of desserts served buffet style) being the next big "trend"
    However, I don't think anyone will look back on cupcakes saying "that was so 2011".
    People are always looking for ways to make their wedding unique or different, so I think desserts will always have some sort of trend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think that pie is the new "cupcake" (at least at restaurants). 

And cupcakes aren't "dated" but it's not the sort of thing that's going to surprise anyone anymore.   Like wearing converse sneakers with a tux. Done and done. 
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm predicting the next food trend to be pie.

Cupcakes and cake pops are still hugely popular though! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I vote for macarons. :)
  • edited December 2011
    "Cake Pops" are the new "cupcakes" for trendy weddings and special events. 

We're having cupcakes though :)
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm never trendy lol but from what i've heard ... cake pops (or are they over now too? i just found out about them lol) and pies :)  i'm very happy about the pie, hope that one stays around!
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing cupcakes and cheesecake squares because half my guests don't like cheesecake and half love it I was not going to buy a ton of one or the other and be stuck with it, so we are cutting into a cheesecake we love and have that flavor in both options as well.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I thought cake pops were the new "thing"?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Macaroons!
  • edited December 2011
    Cake pops are pretty trendy...
    I gotta say, I was truly against the idea of cupcakes. I'd never seen them presented in a way I liked...they were just so...trendy trendy trendy. UNTIL I met my baker, that is!! I'm doing 2 tiers of cupcakes with a cake as the top tier. Looks awesome.

I think that since cupcakes are so very practical--they're affordable and people actually EAT them--they've carved out a permanent niche for themselves :)

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • edited December 2011
    Cake Balls!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards