Catholic Weddings

Where is everybody?

Re: Where is everybody?

• **crickets**
  • Yeah....pretty quiet/boring in here...

• It has been kinda slow around here lately.  It seems like that on almost all the TK boards.

I'm struggling to get going this morning - it's my last week of summer hours.  I'll miss getting off work early on Friday, but I won't miss having to come in at 7:15.
  • I'm having a total Monday....I'm just grouchy and irritable!  On a positive note, I got a response from a long-distance Napro doctor.  On a negative note, I don't believe he's in my insurance network.  Soooo we'll have to see whether I can make this work.  He wants me to have my medical records faxed to him -- do I just have my OB/GYNs fax to him, or also primary care?

• Can you check with the doctor to see which records he needs?  I'm guessing you could start with just the OB/GYN records, and he can let you know if he needs anything more.
  • Yeah I'll confirm what records should be sent when I call to schedule my appointment. 

Is there anything exciting goiing on?  I'm getting super excited for my sister to have her baby, but he/she isn't due until November.  She's not finding out the sex, so we're all dying in anticipation! 

• Nothing much here - probably going to give myself the week off from doing any wedding-related projects, and just look forward to the holiday weekend.  We aren't going out of town at all, since the season opener of NDSU football is Saturday evening, which kills any plans to go anywhere.  It's not too bad, I"m REALLY looking forward to the football season, but it would've been fun to get to the lake one more time.  Maybe if it's nice enough I can go to the pool or something at least.

Resa - I love that your sister is waiting to find out the baby's sex until he/she is born!  My parents never found out ahead of time for any of my siblings, and it was such fun waiting to see if we had a new brother or sister!  I would like to not find out ahead of time, but FI wants to, so we'll see what happens there - his plan is that he could find out and just not tell me, but I know he wouldn't be able to keep the secret, so that won't work...
  • My sister's H wanted to find out, but since they did with the first two, and they have one of each, she convinced him to wait.

H's bday is this weekend, and my parents are having a party, so we'll have plenty to do, though we're not going out of town.  I'm excited for his bday -- I'm going to make him a cheesecake, so we'll see how that turns out.  I'm not a great baker lol.

• H and I argue ALL THE TIME about what we're going to do regarding learning the sex of the baby.  I don't want to know, he does.

I am still adjusting to teaching in a different state.  I'm a little shocked at how much my kids don't know compared to my kids from last year, especially considering I was a student in this state up until 8th grade, and I feel like I just "got" a lot of the stuff my kids are missing.  What an adventure.  =)
    Anniversary

• Prof, I guess you're students are lucky to have you!  You seem to have higher standards for them, which can be a really good thing for kids. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:7e6d41a8-c108-456a-8122-7cd6300c00c6">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Prof, I guess you're students are lucky to have you!  You seem to have higher standards for them, which can be a really good thing for kids. 
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

So far most of them are rising to the challenge, so what they lack in background knowledge, they make up for in spirit.  Most of them.  There are always those few who just hope I'll leave them alone.
    Anniversary

• Prof, I can't imagine how you would react to teaching in Arizona. The schools here are, um, not great (there are some counterexamples, but overall...) and my experience with kids and science tends to confirm that.

We had a busy weekend, and look to have a busy week. Between H and I, our families celebrate 4 birthdays in 5 days, so it's pretty one-after-the-other in terms of celebrations. On top of it, H has some family in town today, including a cousin I've never met, so I'm taking C to MIL's today to visit with them. It will be her first time at Grandma's, so we'll see how that goes. It's an hour-ish drive, so we've been letting them come see us since she was born!

I was the one who pushed to find out the gender when I was pregnant with C. It was nice having girl-clothes and putting a girly nursery together, but mostly, I wanted to pray for "her" by name. I got frustrated with "it" and the "baby" and "our little pumpkin." They're all sweet (well, not it), but they felt strangely impersonal and like they didn't reflect her human dignity (clearly my opinion). My argument (plus knowing that our families would be insufferable if we didn't find out) convinced him to find out, and I think he's happy we did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I never thought if it in terms of being able to pray for the baby by name - that's a really great point.  I think part of me is just worried that we'll be expecting one gender and have everything planned for that, and then when the baby is born it turns out to actually be the other gender, and then none of the stuff we've bought will be suitable.  I guess it's a good thing that I'm already dreaming of a gray and yellow nursery, so that'll work either way!
  • Erin, I think that's pretty rare nowadays, for the dr to be wrong about the gender, but I can appreciate that worry :) 

I think the hard thing is that since almost everyone find out the gender, baby items (especially clothes) are often boy or girl, not neutral.  For instance, even if you go for yellow, it'll have a butterfly on it, or a tractor.   That would make it hard to find a decent amount of clothes before the birth.  So in a practical sense, I would lean towards finding out.  I also hadn't considered the prayer thing, but that's an awesome point, too! 

I think if I had one of each, and was expecting my third, I could see myself leaning toward waiting until the birth to find out.  That would be such a fun surprise for everyone!

• Good point about the clothes Resa - I'm sure we'll end up finding out.  I would however like to at least keep our name choices between us until the baby is born, so there's at least some surprise for our families and friends.
  • I've heard that if other people *know* if it's a boy or a girl, then they'll buy "cutesy" stuff, and you won't have what you need from your registry. Then with your next kid, if it's the other, then you cant use any of the stuff!)
    Anniversary
  • Prof, are you pregnant? If you are, congrats!!!
    I just got back from a week in DC and I had a blast! Now I'm waiting for my final semester to start before I begin the next phase of my education.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Med, what did you do in DC? 

I would try to keep baby names a secret, but I don't think H would be very good at it!  My sister says that when you're pregnant, people think it's totally acceptable to be all "ew, I hate that name!  People will call her Hairy Mary!" whereas once the baby is born and they see her, they'll be like "Mary is such a lovely name."  I've heard so many people say negative things about baby names pre-birth, so I think there's a good amount of truth to that.

• My thoughts exactly Resa - there will always be someone who doesn't like the name you pick, or knew someone awful who had that same name, or whatever.  But, they're a lot less likely to tell you that once you've already named your baby. 
  • There might be some benefit to telling people the name... if the name is truly horrible (and you as the parent are in denial), then everyone will grimace at least somewhat, and when you realize that, perhaps that can save your child from spending the rest of their life having everyone inwardly cringe upon hearing their name! (or worse...)
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:335867f0-43ea-4343-a13e-0f2c3acbdef0">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There might be some  benefit to telling people the name... if the name is truly horrible (and you as the parent are in denial), then everyone will grimace at least somewhat, and when you realize that, perhaps that can save your child from spending the rest of their life having everyone inwardly cringe upon hearing their name! (or worse...)
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

Or you can poll your Knotties :-)
  • i know a girl who was told she was having  a girl.  had the nursery painted, decorated, all ready to go with girl clothes and toys in the closet.  around the 8th month they found out it was actually a boy.

so, it does happen, but i think it is rare.
  • Lalaith, the problem is, everyone has different taste in names.  I know a little boy named Carston, which I think is THE worst name I've heard in a very, very long time.  It seems like everyone else I know LOVES that name. 

• edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-is-everybody?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:f6a57ea4-1e9b-4d64-a544-e14cafea57dbPost:759a13ef-08db-42ef-96ce-7fff2751122f">Re: Where is everybody?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i know a girl who was told she was having  a girl.  had the nursery painted, decorated, all ready to go with girl clothes and toys in the closet.  around the 8th month they found out it was actually a boy. so, it does happen, but i think it is rare.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

This happened to one of my coworkers, and they found out right before her baby shower.  =(  I think it might be easier to mistake a boy for a girl?  Maybe?

My parents tried to find out with me, but apparently for both ultrasounds I was squirming around so much they couldn't tell what I was.

And no, Med, I'm not pregnant.  Although I get to see him this weekend and we are hopeful that things will be "timed" correctly! ;)

As for names, I would totally want to keep them a secret.  I just don't want anyone ruining a name I think is beautiful (although I have a number of students whose parents I wish I'd known back when they were pregnant so I could be like, "Are you SURE that's what you want?")  Also there has to be SOME surprise.

ETA: Resa, I'm with you.  I can't stand "cutesy" names, especially for boys.  I keep seeing baby boys with names that are "cute" and I'm like, "He's a person, not a dog, and he's going to outgrow that stupid name."
    Anniversary

• always thought it was easier to mistake a girl for a boy, as the cord can often be confused with something else.

i dont like Carston either!  i dont care for Connor/Conner/Conor either.

i also dont like perfectly good names that get ruined with the parents need for a unique spelling.   a FB friend of mine just had a boy and his name is Callen, instead of Colin.  Sure, it probably wont get mispronounced but that poor kid will be forever having to spell his name for people.  
  • Lol Prof, I love that..."he's going to outgrow that stupid name!"  I'm really over the super-duper trendy names.  And I swear, it's always the people naming their kid the most common name who are like "isn't it so unique?"  I seriously had a girl tell me she was naming her baby Madison.  "Isn't that so unique?'  I was like, ummm are you kidding?!?  If you love the name, then go for it...but if you love it because it's so unique, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

• I saw a kid on the news named "Catcher."

=(
    Anniversary

• I'm not a fan of super-trendy names either.  It seems like most of them, as Prof said, are too "cutesy" and will seem strange for an adult.  I've also noticed more and more people lately trying to be "unique" by coming up with a weird/different spelling for a name that's common - I mean, there's only so many ways to spell Makayla/McKayla/Michaela... the weirder it gets, it's not a "cool and unique" name for your kid, you're just giving her a life-long headache of no one ever spelling it right the first time.

A girl I went to high school with had a girl a few years ago, named her (cringe) Nevaeh - I know it's Heaven spelled backward and all, but my goodness,I just can't stand that one... 
  • Resa- I'm not saying that just because someone doesn't like a name you pick that you shouldn't use it (I'm sure you wouldn't find a single acceptable name in that case!) but rather that if everyone seems to be groaning when you say it, perhaps you ought to reconsider. (But I do like Riss' suggestion of polling TK!)
    Anniversary
  • Calypso- yes I HATE names that have weird spellings... but I would pronounce "Callen" like CAY-lin, or maybe Ca-lin (the "a" sounds like... the "a" in "mat"... I don't know how to spell that "a" sound, haha) so I wouldnt be so sure about people not mispronouncing it! 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards