Missouri-Kansas City

Cake Recs Please!!!

Would LOVE any advice on bakeries for a cake ... I'm going to try to go middle of the road to cut some budget ... nice, but not extensively fancy like on Cake Boss :-)

Please & THANKS!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake Recs Please!!!

• mikeysmom07mikeysmom07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we used Rita Strech with Rasberry Rose. She did great and not to pricey either
  • edited December 2011
    Michelle at Iced Art in Shawnee is amazing and she's done countless numbers of the weddings we've photographed. I would highly recommend her to anyone!

Dawndy Bendet
    Bendet Photography
    http://www.bendetphotography.com

• edited December 2011
    I'm  using Hy-Vee for my cake, I've been to numerous weddings that have their cakes and they are always good.  We already had our tasting and loved all of the flavors.  They also aren't very expensive.  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Kristin Lynch of Kristin's Cakes.  She's young and bakes cakes out of her home as a side job.  Much less expensive than two other bakers I met with.  The cake was perfect...exactly as I had imagined it looking!  And I had so many people tell me it's the best wedding cake they've ever had. 
    Sarah & Craig
    My Planning Bio: http://sarahandcraig.weebly.com/
    My Married Bio: http://craigandsarahsides.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011
    The Bridal Kitchen!  Jackie is like a wonderful extra grandma who makes amazing cakes.  
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Dragonfly. We loved how innovative her flavors and designs were. Can't wait to see the results!

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    We used Just Cakes and LOVED them!  We got a much better cake than I thought I would because they are very inexpensive. 

With a place like Hy-Vee, be careful of which location you go to.  I've heard rave reviews from some of them (like Overland Park), but I've heard not-so-hot things about others, so make sure youtalk to the person who will be decorating your cake and ask to see examples of THEIR work.

Ask your venue too!  They see all kinds of companies, and they'll let you know who does a good job setting things up, and which cakes look and taste spectacular.  That might help you avoid hiring someone who wows you at the consultation but doesn't follow through on your own cake.
  • edited December 2011
    My Grandma actually makes professional wedding cakes for lots of people and she is going to do ours.  PM me if you want her number.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I second Kristin's Cakes...our wedding is not until next June but when we met with her a few weeks ago she sent us home with a small cake to enjoy and it was wonderful! Her prices are very reasonable!
  • edited December 2011
    Super-fantastic! Thanks!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kissamarykissamary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my mom is making my cake and i must say, she does fabulous cakes :)  www.thedivinebakery.com
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_cake-recs-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:881ec11b-6f0a-44ae-bec2-c3483e6f77e6Post:60f17522-1d66-4e90-89fc-b6bd08d7bb97">Re: Cake Recs Please!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I second Kristin's Cakes...our wedding is not until next June but when we met with her a few weeks ago she sent us home with a small cake to enjoy and it was wonderful! Her prices are very reasonable!
    Posted by trey&angel[/QUOTE]

<div>Trey&angel--You will LOVE her!!!  She's awesome and I felt like I could completely trust her!  I had around 10 people tell me it was the best-tasting wedding cake ever.  We still have some in our fridge a week and a half later...it's still amazing!! </div>
    Sarah & Craig
    My Planning Bio: http://sarahandcraig.weebly.com/
    My Married Bio: http://craigandsarahsides.weebly.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Bridal Kitchen!  Jacque makes amazing cakes and is so great to work with.  She is affordable and was actually cheaper than any other place we looked including Hy-Vee. 
  • kwagner1211kwagner1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Annie O of Annie O's Custom Cakes. Her tasting wowed me! Not only because I got to pick 4 flavors to try, but she also drew the design and built the cake out of styrofoam right in front of me. I can't picture things in my head, I have to see it in person, so that helped a lot. Her prices were in the middle of the range I found, but her willingness to do as many flavors as you want and the fact that she'll make up any flavor that she doesn't already have (and that's a lot!) is what sold me.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Rebekah Foster. Her cake is soo good! The cake is not too sweet and very moist and the icing is delicious!

We went with her bc she offered a bigger variety of flavors and didn't charge for those extra flavors. The only thing that costed extra were the fillings if they weren't buttercream but she didn't charge our top tier filling. 

Plus, I'm from Shawnee, and she's in downtown Shawnee so I like to think of it as supporting my home town. ;)
    Kristen & Ryan | 10.10.10
    My Married Bio | My Blog
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Sarah. Her cakes taste so good and they are a great price. 

• edited December 2011
    I'm responding to my own post :-) ... I went to the Bridal Spectacular today & tried Sugar and Spice and The Bridal Kitchen and both were FANTASTIC!!! The Bridal Kitchen also is having an open house on 7/31 from 9-5p and all of their cake flavors will be available to taste ... yum!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards