June 2012 Weddings

Bummed....but shouldn't be (NWR)

So I've been working as a long term reading tutor since mid-September.  I work with all grades in our school (K-5) and love it but my ultimate goal is to be a teacher.  I would say I work most with 1st and 3rd grade.  Anyways, one of the 1st grade teachers I work with a few times a week is going out on maternity in March until the end of the school year.  I've known this since October and had been going into her classroom whenever I got an opportunity trying to get to know her students and how she runs her classroom.  I was hoping to prove myself in a classroom setting. 

Well, interviews were today.  I was the last interview of the day (out of 4, supposed to be 5).  The reading consultant decided not to sit on the committee for my interview because we work side by side all of the time so she didn't want that to affect any decisions.  So about 15 mins after my interview when I was leaving the principal called me into his office.  He asked how I thought it went and I told him I thought it went well and that it really helped that I know the school, class, etc.  He said that there wasn't a need to leave me hanging so he wanted to let me know the decision immediately. He agreed that I did well and he absolutely thinks I could do great in the position, but said I didn't "sell myself" for a long-term teaching position and that there is a candidate that was a better match. He said after my reading interview he knew immediately I was the right person for the job and that I'm doing an amazing job at it.  If my position were to permanently open next year I would be a HIGHLY considered candidate (in his words).

This is the first principal I've had that is approachable and that you can have a conversation with.  Since my current position was up in the air for a while (the duration of it) we constantly talked about how my goal was to be a teacher and he knows this is a transition position for me so he understands I will be applying for other teaching positions.  He's also told me multiple times that he chooses the best match for the position and sometimes it is not the internal candidate so not to get discouraged.  I've known this from the get-go and I've always kept that in my mind, especially because I experienced it in a different district.  Yet when he told me I didn't get it I was extremely bummed.  I really wanted to prove myself to hopefully open myself to future positions.  I was also hoping for that increase in pay too because right now I'm pretty much living paycheck to paycheck.  All along I've told myself that if I don't get it I'm okay with it because I have a guaranteed job for the rest of the year and that I love what I'm doing, but when the time came to face that it pretty much sucks.

Sorry I just had to babble to hopefully get it off my mind.  Let's just say I'm not looking forward to going to work tomorrow because many teachers thought I would get it so I don't want to have to say it multiple times that I didn't.  I've decided I'm going to talk to the teacher who is pregnant to ask her advice; she was the only other person in my interview besides the principal.  She's been in my shoes many times before so I want to ask her what she suggests now that she's on the other side of the table. 

Re: Bummed....but shouldn't be (NWR)

• I'm sorry you're going through this and understand it completely.  I'm a teacher and know how hard it is to get a job teaching.  There were so many interviews I was sure I nailed only to find out I didn't get the job.  At cliche as it sounds, you have to believe things happen for a reason and they will turn out the way they should, whatever that may be...

For example, 2 years ago my assistant principal applied for a principal job in another district.  She was basically told she had the job and we were all devistated that she would probably leave.  They called her a week later and said they couldn't offer her the job.  She was devistated (we were happy) and she stayed as assistant principal.  Then last year my principal annoucned she was retiring and my assistant principal went for the job and got it so now she's our principal!  She didn't get what she thought she wanted two years ago but it ended up even better than she could have hoped for by staying at our school. 
    Anniversary
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the support ladies.  I found out today that the person that got the job also works in our building.  She's worked in the building longer than I have.  She has also interviewed with our principal multiple times too so she probably has him figured out by now.  When thinking about it I also realized that I may have gone into the interview thinking of it as more of a conversation with people I know rather than assuming they don't know me and being in interview mode.  I have to say though, I'm happy she got the position because I will have to work with her.  It will be much easier to go in and assist someone that's been there and knows what's going on as opposed to someone who is new to the school and coming in completely cold.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards