Moms and Maids

Suggestions of nice things to do for mom (menopause is hard)

Hi,

I was hoping some of you could share some ideas of little things you did for your moms during the wedding planning process to let them know that you love them, and reassure them about your bond.

I know my mom is struggling with some menopausal issues right now, and it is making her anxious and moody - I am working on not taking it personally because I know that it is hard for her... We are moving internationally soon after the wedding in July and so I want to make sure that the time we have left together is pleasant, rather than difficult.

I'd like it if we could just unload the wedding details for a minute or two and refocus on just being mom and daughter.

Re: Suggestions of nice things to do for mom (menopause is hard)

• edited December 2011
    I wish I could say my Mom and I have a mother-daugher bond, but not so much. Things have gotten a lot better in recent years, but I don't think we will ever be super close. I am closer to my MIL than I am my own Mom. And my Mom (nor my parents) did anything to help with or plan our wedding.

As far as your question goes: do a spa day with just the 2 of you, go to lunch and then shopping, spend a weekend in a cabin or something.
  • edited December 2011

I have the same thing with my mum, I'll be moving to the states and marrying an American, so she's emotional even without all the menopause stuff.

I've been including her in everything wedding wise, trips out, even if its something simple like looking for makeup bits and pieces. She just wants to spend time with me right now. I helped her find her dress. We've done general shopping trips, and eaten out together a few times.

She's currently living a few hours away from me - I just spent the last week staying with them to spend some time wihth them but that will be the last time (on my own). She'll be coming to my town to help me with packing. She's very involved in the visa process (meeting me in london for appointments and sitting in waiting rooms with me).

I'm not entirely sure what else I can be doing right now and will be very interested to hear other replies to your post. I'm thinking about a nice gift I can get her - thinking maybe a nicely framed engagement pic of my fiance and I, and a wedding album I make up especially for her.

Maybe take a mother/daughter weekend/spa day or something? Just something for the two of you?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards