New Jersey

Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?

I really want to just go and check out different styles of dresses, try them on to see what styles look good on me, etc. I am not buying a dress right now. I remember when I was shopping for my dress for my first wedding, I went to some shops that were super pushy, and very impatient if they got the feeling you weren't going to committ that very day. And i ended up not buying my dress at those places. So do you ladies know of any shops that won't pressure me to committ? That will just let me try things on and enjoy the experience? Am I better off going to a place like Group USA or Davids Bridal? Of course I'm not planning to spend the whole day playing dress up, because I know they have a business to run, but I'd like them to be really patient and not pushy because really the bride is not just trying out the dresses, but also "trying out" the vendor as well.

Tia!

Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?

• edited December 2011
    I can give you one place to avoid - Jaehee in Englewood.
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I found the most pressure at Davids. 

Chrissy O's in Newton was very laid back as was RK Bridal on 39th street in NYC.

If you want no pressure do not bok an appointment on a prime Saturday; try a weekday morning or afternoon.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:c5491b7b-fcec-45af-ae0f-f8a0a199161e">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found the most pressure at Davids. 

If you want no pressure do not bok an appointment on a prime Saturday; try a weekday morning or afternoon.
    Posted by dalm0m[/QUOTE]

I found the complete opposite at DB in Wayne.  I got no pressure at all.  I made it clear that I wasn't buying a dress that day but wanted to think about it overnight and go back and they were great with me.  

I agree with the second part...try to go during the week and I think you will get less pressure as if you are wasting their time.
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely suggest Hollywood Bridal. I tried on dresses at multiple salons, and ended up getting my dress there, because not only was it the best price that I found, but the ladies there were SUPER nice. They did not pressure me one bit. The first time I was there, I didn't find anything I liked, and they didn't mind at all. They just said to come back another time if I wanted to, and left it at that. They didn't call me harassing me asking if I wanted to come back for another appointment, etc.

As for David's Bridal, I just posted in another thread about them harassing me for months after I tried on dreses. They have called me at least 3 to 4 times a week, leaving voicemails, and asking if I want to come back to try on dresses. I keep telling them no, I got my dress elsewhere, but they don't get it. Whatever you do, if you go to David's, don't give them your phone number.
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree about David's bridal, the minute they found out I wasn't planning on buying that day, the woman got annoyed with bringing out dresses.  At least this was the experience I had at the one in Paramus.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Avoid David's.  I went to the one in Wayne and it was pretty bad.  I had a wonderful experience at Alfred Angelo in Cherry Hill. I also went to Group USA but they would not let me near the dresses without an appointment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    i felt the same way at davids bridal in east brunswick-the gril was great but i didnt fall in love with anything so the mgr was pretty pressuring.  i was so comfortable at russels bridal in linden i would recommend them.  i got my dress a month ago there and just went back with my bridal party to get the girls dresses this weekend and was great
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I was pretty happy with my experience at Park Avenue Bridals in Verona.

I was able to walk right into the Group USA in Jersey Gardens Mall on a whim, and I tried on whatever I wanted and they left me alone.

I wouldn't really recommend that particular location since Jersey Gardens has gotten super-trashy (although the shop itself was O.K.) ... I was just in a bad mood that day and being in the trashy mall made it worse, so I wasn't really "feeling it" even though the dresses were nice.
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, but what's so trashy about Jersey Gardens? I go there all the time, and think its perfectly fine. Maybe its just me.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:2cb5fb8b-6413-4698-917a-a3d11c528c80">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can give you one place to avoid - Jaehee in Englewood.
    Posted by 37 Butter Knives[/QUOTE]

<div>Couldn't disagree more.  I found my dress there but knew I would end up buying it elsewhere because I knew I would be able to find it for less.  My consultant never once pressured me to buy it that day and was overall very nice.  Never felt rushed or pressured.</div><div>
    </div><div>Not sure where you're located, but I would HIGHLY recommend I Do I Do in Morristown for anyone who wants to just try on a lot of dresses and decide what you like without ANY pressure to buy.  From my experience, they were doing only 1 appointment at a time, were great at pulling dresses that matched what you were looking for, and really let you have a lot of fun with the experience.  They had snacks and drinks for everyone who came with me and even took pictures of me in all the dresses I liked and emailed them to me.  They even let my little sisters try on dresses for fun -- it was hilarious and something my family will always remember!  It was 100% hands down the best dress experience I had, and I went to a lot of places (and bought my dress at yet another place).</div>
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would rec. you going to Russells in LInden, they are so nice and kind and did a great job for me. The best prices around too!
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend Russell's (from my experience buying my dress and the BM dresses there) and Hollywood (from my experience bringing both mothers for alterations there and witnessing how the workers interacted with other brides).

I would avoid Helen Bohn and Park Ave 110%.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:730f2341-b388-4a71-981b-7b13d1ba8e03">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would definitely suggest Hollywood Bridal.
    Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]

Agreed
  • edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend Cinderella Bridal in Matawan... now when I go for fittings, I request Hetty.
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I had a great experience at Cinderella in Matawan (with Hetty), Bijou Bridal and I Do I Do.  Not so great experience at JaeHee (the consultant was useless and like a used car salesperson) and Park Avenue (where the woman told me she couldn't figure me out and gave up). 

I think a lot has to do with the consultant and what PP said about going during the week versus on a Saturday - that way you don't have to rush.   
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Cinderella in Matwan and I loved working with Pat. She didn't pressure me at all, and in fact said I should sleep on it a while then come back. She's sarcastic though, which works just fine for me and my family, but if you're not that way work with Hetty.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I had a great experience at Helen Bohn in Washington Township. I would also avoid Bridals by Roma in Clifton. They were super pushy and rude.
  • justad0remejustad0reme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also recommend I do I do in Morristown.  Their service was great and they can take your picture and send them to you which other stores dont do.

I also have to disagree with the comments on Jaehee Bridals.  I had a great experience there.  I did not feel pressure into making a decision and I ended up buying my dress there.  There were very accomodating and even gave me a discount...so I couldn't be happier with their service. 
    ~~* Jen *~~
  • kplessingkplessing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just avoid David's Bridal in general.
    Try Michael Wade in Garfield.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kplessingkplessing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    christin- I PM'd you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:de9789e6-5114-40e9-ab20-2f0148ff412d">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would rec. you going to Russells in LInden, they are so nice and kind and did a great job for me. The best prices around too!
    Posted by Reilly626[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i second having "no pressure" at david's bridal - the one in paramus. i went on a tuesday night at 6:00-6:30ish so it was dead! i also only brought my mom. i felt pretty at ease. go during the week! the fewer people with you, the better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:4627cb54-ad29-4ca5-9114-1252a4c11aa1">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]christin- I PM'd you
    Posted by kplessing[/QUOTE]

Thanks :) I tried replying to your pm but my iPad wouldn't let me. Lol
  • edited December 2011
    I absolutely agree with those who mentioned Cinderella Bridal in Matawan. I went with my best friend when she went to Cinderella for purchasing her dress. Hetty was great. In fact, all of the bridesmaids all got our dresses there as well! Highly recommended!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I do I do in Morristown is GREAT!
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_can-recommend-pressure-bridal-shop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:6ae58a0d-80d5-48ff-99cc-07090ddb1559Post:c5491b7b-fcec-45af-ae0f-f8a0a199161e">Re: Can you recommend your "no pressure" bridal shop?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found the most pressure at Davids.  <strong>Chrissy O's in Newton was very laid back </strong>as was RK Bridal on 39th street in NYC. If you want no pressure do not bok an appointment on a prime Saturday; try a weekday morning or afternoon.
    Posted by dalm0m[/QUOTE]

I agree on Chrissy Os! I bought my dress and my BMs go their dresses there as did my mom. They are not pushy at all and very helpful. Also, they have great customer service. I've had a few things not go as planned and they have been nothing but friendly and accomodating about it. Depending on where in Jersey you live, Newton might be a long ride, but in my opinion worth it.
  • nicoleR513nicoleR513 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went wedding dress shopping for the first time last weekend and had a really great experience at antoinette rose bridal in belmar. i had no idea what i wanted, was not ready to buy anything, and just wanted to "get my feet wet" with dress shopping. the woman who waited on me could not have been nicer or less pushy - she spent an hour with me, i tried on every dress in the store that i remotely liked (it's a small place) and i walked out without the pressure to buy anything (although i found one dress i really liked and might go back for!) i would definitely recommend them if you just want to try some things on.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Davids Bridal in Paramus (because the Wayne location was flooded at the time) and did not get a a dress.  I then went back approximately two weeks later to try one on that I had seen online and ended up buying it that day.  I did not feel pressured and was impressed by their helpfulness both times. 
  • Jessadams1Jessadams1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Avoid Exquisite in Milburn.  Not only did she pressure but also pulle dout dresses that were $5,000 over the number I gave her and didn't tell me until I had them on.

Arlene's in Bloomfield is wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards