African American Weddings

where are you getting dressed?

Where are you getting dressed on the big day?

I've chosen to get ready at my parents house but I have 9 bridesmaids and i was going to have them come over that morning for hair and makeup and just slip into their dreses. Now i'm thinking if I should just stay at the hotel that i'm getting married at b/c they have a whole room that we can use for hair and makeup but i kind of wanted the pictures at my parents house b/c it means a lot to me.

your thoughts?

272image Invited
222image Accepted
50image Can't Hang
0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: where are you getting dressed?

• edited December 2011
    Since I am having my wedding and reception in the same place they have a beautiful bridal suite that is large enough for me and the bridal party.
    image114 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 7 Will be missing out!
    RSVP Deadline May 11th 2011 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_getting-dressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:51dfee24-5f98-4fbd-9af5-17823648dfc2Post:bc010bd0-0184-4b8e-bbe2-977f403a99fd">Re: where are you getting dressed?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since I am having my wedding and reception in the same place they have a beautiful bridal suite that is large enough for me and the bridal party.
    Posted by vondap0601[/QUOTE]

<div>My venue has that, too, but it doesn't have a separate bathroom. So, I'm thinking I'll just get dressed at the hotel. We're taking a lot of pix before the wedding anyway, so no need to be at the venue super early. Hotel and venue is downtown and we'll be taking pix around downtown or the medical center area.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting dressed at the church where we will hold the ceremony. There is a large room upstairs that will be able to fit quite a few people.
  • edited December 2011

My place is a house/mansion. So...they have a bridal suite as well as a men's suite for the guys.

Maybe you could get dressed & have hair/ makeup at the hotel, but then you & the wedding party could go to your parent's house for picture. You could rent a limo or having everyone ride separately to meet at your parent's. Just a thought!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    the house is pretty decently sized so everyone will fit, i was just wondering what everyone else was doing. getting down to these last minute details are a trip lol

272image Invited
    222image Accepted
    50image Can't Hang
    0 image Just won't be attending PERIOD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still trying to figure this one out...to save money in transportation costs, I'm thinking of having my girls and I get dressed at the ceremony/reception site while the guys get dressed at the hotel and just find rides to the venue. I'v heard some hotels provide a shuttle service if you block and use a minimum number of rooms, but I have to confirm this. Thankfully the venue has a large enough bridal suite since I have 8 bridesmaids and 2 flower girls.  I have no idea how much limos cost, but I think I can put that much money to better use...maybe we'll just rent an antique vehicle to use as our get-away vehicle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting dressed at the church. I'm getting my hair and makeup done at the hotel and then I'm heading to the church to decorate. After we decorate we'll use one of the rooms at the church to get dress. Then we'll take our pics before the ceremony!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageGraphics

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan to get dressed at the church in the room that is reserved for my bridemaids and I. But I'll have hair and makeup done at the hotel before we arrive there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting dressed at the hotel more than likely.  The bridal suite has a living room/kitchen area that is separate from the bedroom so I'll have more than enough room for 6 bridesmaids and 3 flower girls.
    Anniversary
  • sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was considering getting dressed at a hotel near the ceremony and reception site. But after researching the costs of the hotels in the area and granted it is a big weekend in South Florida (Memorial Weekend) I may just get dressed at my parents house.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_getting-dressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:51dfee24-5f98-4fbd-9af5-17823648dfc2Post:bc010bd0-0184-4b8e-bbe2-977f403a99fd">Re: where are you getting dressed?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since I am having my wedding and reception in the same place they have a beautiful bridal suite that is large enough for me and the bridal party.
    This!
    Anniversary
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Ummmmmm, I have no idea.  Guess I need to get on this. 

For some reason, it's overwhelming me even thinking about this level of detail!  Undecided
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Getting dressed at my parent's. They downsized to a townhome when we all moved out but my mom said they'll move the furniture out of the living room so we'll have enough room to get ready.
    I only have 3 bridesmaids, a matron of honor and 2 flower girls so it should be OK.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • cyndoncyndon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting dressed at the hotel.  The hotel is around the corner from our venue and they provide a shuttle for the guest.  We aren't renting a limo since it so close to the venue. We are just going to rent a luxury car for the weekend and he is going to drive the rental over to the venue and my aunt and uncle are going to drive my mom and I in their new Lacrosse.  We are cutting corners every way we can, LOL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_getting-dressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:51dfee24-5f98-4fbd-9af5-17823648dfc2Post:bc010bd0-0184-4b8e-bbe2-977f403a99fd">Re: where are you getting dressed?</a>:

I love that everything is on the same grounds. Cuz God forbid if Im late due to traffic jams or any wrecks on the way.
  • edited December 2011
    This is a good question and as a matter of fact my photog just asked me where I was getting dressed at. WE will most definitely be getting dressed at the hotel. We are staying at the hotel the night before so the hotel will be our haven as well as our place to dress and do makeup.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I will get dressed at a hotel right around the corner from the church. Although FI and the guys will stay at a different hotel the night before, they will come to the hotel where I am the morning of the wedding for pictures and things so it will be easier for the photographers and the videographer to capture the special moments leading up to the ceremony. He still won't see me before the wedding.

Am I the only one feeling butterflies in my tummy (good ones) from this post...OMG...we're getting married! Forgive my corniness, please.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 7venAfricano7venAfricano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea where I'll be getting dressed at. I haven't given it much thought only because I haven't decided if I want to get married at my parents church or not. Knowing my family though, we'll either get dressed at my parents, or my older sister's
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_getting-dressed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:51dfee24-5f98-4fbd-9af5-17823648dfc2Post:61d11ece-afd7-46c0-96cd-f03f823fbc0b">Re: where are you getting dressed?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting dressed at the hotel.  The hotel is around the corner from our venue and they provide a shuttle for the guest.  We aren't renting a limo since it so close to the venue. We are just going to rent a luxury car for the weekend and he is going to drive the rental over to the venue and my aunt and uncle are going to drive my mom and I in their new Lacrosse.  We are cutting corners every way we can, LOL!
    Posted by cyndon[/QUOTE]

Exactly this!!!
    My Wedding Planning Bio (Updated January 24, 2011)
    Created by Wedding Favors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AAW May Siggy Challenge: Picture of Me and My mom! image 170 Made the cut Happy smiley!
    image 102 Making the Trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 64 Can't make the trip to Atlanta Smiley!
    image 6 Can't decide or won't let us know Smiley!
    R.S.V.P Deadline April 30th!!! SMH!
  • zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting dressed at the hotel.  My hair stylist will be coming there.  And I am totally splurging on a limo for this one day.  The BMs and I will probably take some pictures beforehand downtown and at the hotel to minimize the time needed during the cocktail hour.
  • edited December 2011

I'm getting dressed at my parent's house. I grew up here, so I can't imagine getting dressed and leaving from anywhere else. All of my bridesmaids will be getting dressed here too.

Our ceremony isn't until 4:30, so my goal is to have a breakfast/brunch with my bridesmaids and family on my parents' deck by the pool with some mimosas so we can kind of relax and take in the day before the chaos begins. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    edited December 2011
    We are both getting suites at a hotel the night before the wedding. One of my friends moms works for Marriott so she is getting us an awesome deal. The ladies will get make up done there and my hair dresser who is also a bridesmaid will be there to go my hair. The guys will more than likely get dressed at the hotel but since we have such an early ceremony (2:00 if we can find a freaking church) the ladies will get dressed at the church. Then after we will take pics in downtown Detroit for a few hours before going to the reception.

So glad FI''s sister is paying for the limo since we will have it for 7 hours and we are planning to get out money's worth LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    it will be at the hotel
  • zantsterzantster member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hey sheshe:

My ceremony is at 2:00pm as well!  What is your wedding date?  Do you have a reception venue locked in yet?  It would be nice to have two suites at the hotel.  But that would be pretty pricey for us and I don't want to chance him seeing me beforehand.  So, he can get dressed at the house or his friend's house and I'll see him when I get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards