Wedding Party

Parents reneging on deal to give money - so POed

Sorry, kind of long....

Oh my goodness! I was just talking to my mom and she has decided that they are no longer going to give us money for the wedding. A brief recap:

My fiance and I decided we couldn't afford a big wedding, so our plan was to do a small intimate ceremony and then go out for dinner to a nice restaurant with about 20 or 25 guests. I told my mom and she flipped out and said she wanted something 'better' for her baby. So we thought about doing a cocktail reception and talked to her and said this is what we're thinking, but we can't do this without your help. She agreed to help. Commence with wedding plans. She started paying a little bit here and there.

Now, 6 months before the wedding (when deposits have been put down, everything is booked, etc.), she tells me they can't pay anymore. They haven't even paid 20% of what they agreed to help with and now we're left holding the bag.

I know it's her money and she can do with it what she pleases, but we changed our wedding plans for her. She wanted to help to ensure we could do a bigger wedding, so this is what we did and now look at what we're stuck with... I refuse to go into debt for this wedding.

The thing that really irks me is that the reason why she no longer can help is because she needs to lose weight and wants to do the Nutrisystem plan, which is expensive. I've been telling her for years that she just needs to eat better and become more active, but no..... She has to go with this expensive weight loss program that you pay oodles of money into just so they can count your calories.

I'm just not sure what to do now... my DF and I had a plan to come up with the money we needed (after his parents contributed), but now we have to get an extra chunk of money out of nowhere. So frustrated!!!

Re: Parents reneging on deal to give money - so POed

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_parents-reneging-deal-give-money-poed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:abe2d5a3-9360-41bb-931e-05ffc769d728Post:1ed3425a-4dfd-425e-ad46-0c39422aeaaa">Re: Parents reneging on deal to give money - so POed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Parents reneging on deal to give money - so POed : I would. Family has too much "But we're family, you didn't REALLY mean that I needed to pay for that, right??" crap going on for good business. That's why it's not recommended you do much business with family without a lot of paperwork. It's just not a good idea. Ever.
    Posted by Manwaithiel[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on your family. My family is not like that at all, but I do know that my parents are exceptionally awesome :)
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Thanks for all the advice girls! However, in a happy change, my dad is going to step up and foot the bill. Yay! (My parents keep their money separate).

I did tell my mom that we changed the wedding for her and now we're left holding the bag, so I think this actually hit home as at first she didn't remember that conversation. So she talked to my dad and he's going to help. Huge sign of relief!

• I'm so glad it is going to work out for you!
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011

I didn't read all of the responses, so sorry if I duplicated....

I would talk to your vendors that you put deposits down. Some of them may let you cancel and give your money back. I know that our venue will give us our money back up to a few weeks. You may be able to get some of it back and make it work with the others. I am sorry this happened. I would be upset too. Keep your head up, scale it back or pay the debt. Those are your options. :(

EDIT: I should have read all of them. Glad your dad is willing to help out! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards