Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Mary Kay make up for wedding?

Hey ladies, my best friend's fiance's sister offered to do my make up for free (how can I pass that up? Said she just wanted the practice) the day of the wedding, as well as my bridal party. She does the whole Mary Kay thing and said she will use their products. I'm sure they have good products, but I just wanted to hear from some other ladies who have used it. Will it last all day with me running around and sweating? Does it feel light? Any opinions will be helpful! Thanks ladies :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mary Kay make up for wedding?

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I am an avid MK user and while I love their makeup for every day, I would not recommend it for wedding day makeup.

That being said, I had to do my own makeup for our B&G shoot (as it was far away and early in the morning), and it wasn't terrible, again, just not what I would recommend.  Also, my B&G shoot was outside in natural light and only lasted an hour.  I just don't think it's going to hold up to professional lighting, nor do I think it is very long-lasting.

If you go this route, absolutely, positively use the foundation primer.  And have some samples on hand for touch-ups.

Here is a pic from my shoot (as well as my siggy pic).  Both are edited, of course.

• Agree with PP, Definitely use the primers, as it'll help the makeup last longer.

Is this girl good at doing makeup? Even if the makeup is good... that doesn't mean she's good at applying it!  I'd definitely suggest a trial run through of things.

And ask your BMs, MOG has sensitive skin so she has to do her own makeup so she doesn't break out!

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    edited July 2012

Oh yes, the PP makes a good point--definitely do a trial!  Personally, I don't want the MUA doing my wedding day makeup to be just "practicing."  Any practicing needs to be done before the wedding day.

• mcda04mcda04 member
    I used to purchase Mary Kay and had no complaint until last year when i had horrible break-outs and itchiness. It was bad, i wanted to rip my face off, I think it was an alergic reaction which was weird because I used it before but a new rep mentioned the product could've been expired or exposed to sunlight. IDK, i just never wanted to try it again.

To answer your question, coverage is great but I don't recommend for wedding because of the reasons StephieHall posted above. It's also not great when taking pictures. My shade was always an exact match yet my face always looked shiny or a different color in pictures. I don't wear heavy make-up either.
  • Oh, we definitely plan on doing at least 2 trials before the wedding in May. She has done other brides make up (her own for her wedding, her sisters for her wedding, as well as both bridal parties) and claimed it stayed on all day... I just wanted some outside opinions! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used a combo of MK and MAC (done by an MUA) on my wedding day. For my e-session, I did my own and used 100% MK. I used ALL of the primers (foundation, lip, eye, and now lash). My makeup stayed and looked good in photos (you can see them in my bio). I used liquid fdn and then mineral powder over it. No ashy complextion. I didn't even need the oil blotting papers like I expected. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_mary-kay-make-up-for-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:f71b8ced-03e7-4f9c-832c-0159178dac75Post:505b3f21-f833-4f52-a4a5-d7cbaebebc87">Re: Mary Kay make up for wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used a combo of MK and MAC (done by an MUA) on my wedding day. For my e-session, I did my own and used 100% MK. I used ALL of the primers (foundation, lip, eye, and now lash). My makeup stayed and looked good in photos (you can see them in my bio). I used liquid fdn and then mineral powder over it. No ashy complextion. I didn't even need the oil blotting papers like I expected. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Good to hear! Thank you! I think I'm going to go ahead and do a trial with her and see what I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a Mary Kay Consultant and have done makeup for a few brides, one who got married in the 90+ heat this summer and we used all of the primers, and all of the girl's makeup stayed on perfectly. If you're going to be outside for any length of time, make sure she gets you the oil beauty blotters, you just dab wherever your oily, it gets rid of the oil and keeps your foundation in place. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards