Moms and Maids

too many bridesmaids

hello everyone!

I have always known I would have a bigger bridal party. I have 3 sisters, so many close friends and Cousins that I am close with. I am inviting 150+ people to my wedding. I am expecting around 125 to show...or so, you never know. I have asked my older sister to be my MOH. My best friend, my cousin and my 2 other sisters assumed they were in the wedding, which in a perfect world I would love for them to be up there with me. So long story short I have 6 bridesmaids to be...I think a bridal party that large will look very silly. But at this point I don't want to hurt anyones feelings....What do I do?!?

Re: too many bridesmaids

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say ask, 6 isn't that bad for a 125-150 person wedding. I've seen 6 bridesmaids for a wedding under 75, so if it saves drama and hurt feelings go ahead and ask. 

This is why I enjoyed the movie 27 dresses because the bride cared about all her friends and didn't care what anyone thought about uneven sides, number of bridesmaids (corny yes, but still a great point). 
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your wedding is still 18 months away, so it's a little too soon to be asking bridesmaids.   Wait until 6-9 months away, unless you are having a very formal wedding and dresses that must be ordered months in advance. 

A lot can happen in the next year, with friendships, moves, pregnancies, changes in financial circumstances, etc...  Both their circumstances and yours. Once you've asked, you cannot UNask.  If you ask 6 or 8 girls to be BMs now, then have to downsize the wedding later, you're kind of stuck.  And just because you ask them doesn't mean they will say yes or be able to. 

Ask your sisters if it's tradition in your family, and your very best friends. Not everyone can be a BM.  If they truly care about you, they will understand that.
  • edited December 2011
    We invited about 200 people and I have 6 girls and he has 6 guys. It will be fine, relax. Ditto pp, wait 'til you are about 6-9 months out to choose. They will understand that you can't have everyone be a BM, but there are other roles they could play esp if you are having a church wedding; ie: reader, help do your make-up/hair unless you are getting it done professionally, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks, we just moved the wedding up to June of 2011. Still this is early.  ANYWAYS. The only problem is that they just assumed they would be in it the wedding because we are all so close.... I am the first to get married out of my friends and family. So I guess they don't know how this usually works. The ONLY person I asked is my older sister as MOH...I guess I will either have to look silly and have 6 BM's or have a conversation with one or two of them that I AM NOT looking forward to....

thanks again ladies, good idea with the readings. I think some of them will apprieciate that.
  • LoveBugBabyLoveBugBaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're inviting 150, expect about 135... and we each have 8 on our sides!  The people we chose for our bridal party are all very close friends/family and we have never once questioned any of them being asked.  We just couldn't imagine not including any of them!  While I feel like our bridal party is too large for our wedding sometimes, I just don't care if others have an opinion about it.  Most of my bridesmaids are married and I've been in each of their weddings as well.
  • Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_many-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:fd963919-2192-4d27-9d2f-e3f8965e0c66Post:d4e499f9-2d41-4c06-963f-9e62b674f10a">Re: too many bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks, we just moved the wedding up to June of 2011. Still this is early.  ANYWAYS. The only problem is that they just assumed they would be in it the wedding because we are all so close.... I am the first to get married out of my friends and family. So I guess they don't know how this usually works. The ONLY person I asked is my older sister as MOH...I guess I will either have to look silly and have 6 BM's or have a conversation with one or two of them that I AM NOT looking forward to.... thanks again ladies, good idea with the readings. I think some of them will apprieciate that.
    Posted by Kmulkern22[/QUOTE]

if you haven't actually asked them to be BM, then they shouldn't expect it, unless you've led on that they "might" be. I would not approach them about them not being BMs though. No one wants be approached with why they weren't picked.

However, you really think 6 bridesmaids looks silly? I had 140 people, and 6 bridesmaids.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Choose the women you feel closest to, without regard to some arbitrary number.

• edited December 2011
    I'm having 7 BMs! It's not going to look bad but I will tell you that it is pretty expensive trying to find good gifts for 7 women!
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have 6 bridesmaids and 2 M.O.H's - so no biggie.  We'll have abou 175 guests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Choose the women you feel closest to, without regard to some arbitrary number.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]

This.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards