Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pie instead of cake?

I am doing a rustic fall themed wedding in late September. Our wedding is in a barn and is being catered by a BBQ restaurant. I was looking to go keep up the theme and thought doing a tiered pie instead of a cake would be cute...any thoughts?? Has anyone done a tiered pie? If so, what was the pricing for it? Thanks!!!

Re: Pie instead of cake?

• It sounds like a cute idea but I would also suggest you have one or two two or three-layer cakes very rustically frosted as well because not everyone likes pie.

• Having made a tiered cake, a tiered pie might be difficult to construct and serve.  Also, depending on the size of your wedding, you would probably need pies/something else on the side to get enough servings.

A tiered stand of individual-sized pies might be easier to serve ... and you could mix several flavors each of small pies and cupcakes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pie-instead-of-cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:28d0ab1f-bcab-4708-b1bf-c9f3bc64f7c1Post:792a88b1-e2a2-4762-a76e-fcba3ed19df9">Re: Pie instead of cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having made a tiered cake, a tiered pie might be difficult to construct and serve.  Also, depending on the size of your wedding, you would probably need pies/something else on the side to get enough servings. <strong>A tiered stand of individual-sized pies might be easier to serve</strong> ... and you could mix several flavors each of small pies and cupcakes.
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure this is what OP meant.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2012

Ehhh, I'm not really a pie person.  I'd like to see a small cake or cupcakes in addition to the pie.

• edited June 2012
    As someone who doesn't really like cake and is allergic to chocolate, (so more times than not I cannot eat the cake at weddings anyway!) I'd be excited to see pie at a wedding.  As long as there is also whipped cream of course.
  • We're getting married 9/28/13 and are venue is a restored barn.  My fiance and I have also played around with the idea of having pies in lieu of cake as neither of us are big cake fans but we love us some pie.  But after we talked about it with our families and friends, we've decided to do more of a dessert table instead of a traditional cake.  Instead of just cake, we're doing an assortment of pies, cakes, and cookies.  We may even have a container or two of candies. This way we can make not only ourselves happy but our guests will have an array of desserts to choose from as well. 

Here are some pictures I found on Pinterest for inspirtation:

Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pie-instead-of-cake-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:28d0ab1f-bcab-4708-b1bf-c9f3bc64f7c1Post:42394993-8f60-4f6d-83cb-a764f3dffdf0">Re: Pie instead of cake?</a>:

Thanks for this post. I was also debating pie vs. cake, but I am totally going to use this as inspiration! 

[QUOTE]We're getting married 9/28/13 and are venue is a restored barn.  My fiance and I have also played around with the idea of having pies in lieu of cake as neither of us are big cake fans but we love us some pie.  But after we talked about it with our families and friends, we've decided to do more of a dessert table instead of a traditional cake.  Instead of just cake, we're doing an assortment of pies, cakes, and cookies.  We may even have a container or two of candies. This way we can make not only ourselves happy but our guests will have an array of desserts to choose from as well.  Here are some pictures I found on Pinterest for inspirtation:
    Posted by GoofyAssChick[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards