Hawaii

Welcome bags questions...

Hello ladies! I've been quietly following this forum for awhile, but as my wedding month of April fast approaches (wedding will be at Merriman's in Maui) i'm having a little anxiety with all the details!

On the question of welcome bags, do you give one to each person, couple, family? A welcome bag for kids? Some singles are bringing a plus one that is not a significant other, do I give a welcome bag to them as well? We are having no more than 40 people, and budgeting about $50 per welcome bag.
Also, I want to keep all the items in the welcome bag 'local' Maui made. Would it be easier to order and ship items to my home (in Los Angeles) first, organize and assemble the bags, then have them shipped to Maui?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Welcome bags questions...

• destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2012
    depends on how many days you will be in Hawaii before wedding.  Our WC purchased items on our behalf and assembed (for fee of course, but well worth the extra time to enjoy with our guests).    Aternatively, you may possibly order items online and send to you, then assemble bags and ship the bags.  We did one bag per family and special kid bags for children
  • I'll get married on Maui, too. But I'm not planning to give out any welcome bag... If I have extra money, I'll definitely order/upgrade more food and drinks for my guests. 
  • Congratulations!  You will love getting married on Maui!
    I did 1 welcome bag per couple/family etc, but some items I had per person.  Make sense?  For example- we had bottled water, every person got a bottle. 
    We bought nearly everything on Maui.  It's hard enough bringing your dress and all your other wedding things with you on the plane.  I ordered these Aloha bags and had them shipped to a friend who lives on Maui.  They were grocery sized (reusable) and had various Hawaiian sayings printed on them.  You can buy them on Maui too for $1.99.  They were very handy.  I also ordered Maui Wowee candy bars and was able to pick those up when we arrived.  Most everything else we got at Costco.  Putting them together was pretty fast.
    If you want things shipped you might as your hotel/condo if they will accept anything on yoru behalf right before you arrive.
    Good luck!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_welcome-bags-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:7b6e13f0-58bf-4f59-bf23-7165e9b0ffc8Post:85b6ecfc-d4b3-49c4-aeac-34068cd624b5">Welcome bags questions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies! I've been quietly following this forum for awhile, but as my wedding month of April fast approaches (wedding will be at Merriman's in Maui) i'm having a little anxiety with all the details! On the question of welcome bags, do you give one to each person, couple, family? A welcome bag for kids? Some singles are bringing a plus one that is not a significant other, do I give a welcome bag to them as well? We are having no more than 40 people, and budgeting about $50 per welcome bag. Also, I want to keep all the items in the welcome bag 'local' Maui made. Would it be easier to order and ship items to my home (in Los Angeles) first, organize and assemble the bags, then have them shipped to Maui? Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Posted by SylviaJi[/QUOTE]
  • How much on average did you all spend for welcome bags for guests?
  • I basically grouped them by who the invitations were addressed to.

Couples got one bag, parents with kids got one bag, parents with adult kids got separate bags, etc.  I just did it case by case.  

If I had a welcome bag for a family, I usually put a few extra snacks in those bags since more people were sharing them.  However, they all shared the schedule of events and some of those items.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Thank you all for your suggestions!
    I have decided to go with assembling the bags and sending this out to guests (by invitation grouping) 2-3 weeks before the wedding. I think the thought of shipping to hawaii, running around buying all the little items, and trying to get them to guests who are arriving at different times will be a headache. This way there's an unexpected package with goodies from hawaii and travel items to get guests excited for their trip. Laughing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_welcome-bags-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:7b6e13f0-58bf-4f59-bf23-7165e9b0ffc8Post:64d7d7dc-d7f9-4943-8b62-8863fb8c0203">Re: Welcome bags questions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for your suggestions! I have decided to go with assembling the bags and sending this out to guests (by invitation grouping) 2-3 weeks before the wedding. I think the thought of shipping to hawaii, running around buying all the little items, and trying to get them to guests who are arriving at different times will be a headache. This way there's an unexpected package with goodies from hawaii and travel items to get guests excited for their trip.
    Posted by SylviaJi[/QUOTE]

Instead of giving them when they arrive right off the plane, you could find out where guests are staying and ask the hotel personnel to give it to them with they check in or place it in their rooms before they get there. I work in a hotel and that's what we do for our bride and grooms. They bring their welcome bags here at the front desk, they tell us which guests or which wedding block this is for and we hand them out accordingly =) Just another suggestion. I plan on doing this and putting them together when I get to HI. Money wise, cheaper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards