Michigan-Grand Rapids

plannning a wedding for another state

Hello brides! Has anyone ever planned a wedding in one state while  living  in another. If so im open to ways and thoughts about this situation. Sadly im finding it kinda difficult on planning my wedding.

Re: plannning a wedding for another state

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was really difficult for me as well because I'm not actually from GR, so I didn't know where to start really.  Both of my venues ended up being suggestions from people here, tbh.  I did a lot of googling, trying different search parameters, and even looking at very non-traditional venues.  Wineries, B&B's, art museums, basically whatever I could get email addresses for.  I found that I was ignored a lot (which sucks) and that people don't always take email inquiries seriously.  Since you're in the US, you can call easier and cheaper than I can.  I also decided that after 2 maybe 3 attempts at contact with no response, I wasn't going to bother with a venue that couldn't be bothered with my business.

The other thing was to be realistic with your expectations.  You may not be able to search for the "perfect" venue or fit it into your budget.  Course, that's advice for all brides, really.
  • monkey0919monkey0919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It helps if you have someone you know in the state you're planning on getting married.  I live in Maryland but got married in Holland, Michigan.  Almost all of my family is in Michigan.  So my dad arranged the catering, the tent, tables, chairs, etc.  When I found the location I wanted, my dad and my aunt went to look at it for me.  So we had the place selected but I didn't even get to see until 2 months before the wedding.  But The Nest helped a lot.  I got a lot of recommendations from here.  That's how I found where to get my cake from and where to get my hair and makeup done.  It's also where I found my location (which was perfect!).  So make sure to ask your questions here b/c a lot of the girls have good advice.  If you don't have anyone in the area, you'll be doing like amoro said, making a lot of phone calls.
  • rhoades0612rhoades0612 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yes i do have inlaws in kentwood michigan and there are more that will to help, but instead of having then running from place to place im trying to narrow down my list venue first.

edited December 2011
    Rhoades, would you mind making your bride smaller please?  Thank you!

My sister lives near GR, and I only had her taste the food at the restaurant where we had our reception, to make sure it was excellent.  We called in, and gave the restaurant our CC # so that we paid for her and her BF's dinner.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     i dont know how toooo
  • tawnystocktawnystock member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you can change the size.  The knot tool automatically makes it the standard avatar dimensions.
    edited December 2011
    You have to go into your sig app and change the size manually.  I usually keep mine around 320x whatever.  You can also save the pic to photobucket or something and resize it there. 
  • pandi02apandi02a member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I planned my wedding in MI from Atlanta. I did almost everything myself though, so I didn't have a lot of venders to deal with. We even got married at my own lake house, so it was a lot easier. I went and stayed with my parents for about 2 weeks and that is where I made a lot of decisions.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice
  • edited December 2011
    I feel your pain!  I'm in Chicago and planning a GR wedding.  I'm not from GR so it has been a challenge.  However, it's all coming together great and in the last 8 months of planning I think I've only been there 3 times.

You can absolutely do it!  YOU HAVE TO GET GRAND RAPIDS  BRIDE magazine.  It's been my bible.  With the Knot local vendors you'll be all set.

I refused to pick a place without seeing it so I went back one weeknd and did churches and reception venues after I narrowed down where I wanted to look.  My second time back was for florists, I had 5 appointments and met with 4 b/c of time.  My third time there was for my food/cake tasting and choosing a rehearsal location after narrowing it down.  I've done all else over the phone.  Depending on your comfort level with on line pics or trusting your family you can obviously eliminate some of my trips back.  To make matters harder I work on Saturdays so I had some exhausting day trips!

I'm happy to share any and all of my info with you.  Let me know what you need!
  • n5cuttingn5cutting member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning a wedding in muskegon from Chicago in less than eight months.  What really helped was getting a wedding guide and searching the internet like crazy. I am fortunate enough to go Chicago on weekends so that helped a lot.  Whenever you to michigan line up venues and places to visit.  You can do it!!    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards