Snarky Brides

Puppy phobia

So my puppy was abandoned by her old family when they moved.  She is now terrified of boxes (we assume that is the reason).  We are moving in a week and a half, and have started packing.  She is flipping out, she shakes all the time, and pees on the floor if we leave her alone for any amount of time.  I don't know what to do to make her feel better.  I know she is worried we are all leaving her, I just don't know how to fix this or deal with it. 

I've also never moved with dogs, so any tips for generally making it easier would be greatly appreciated. 

Re: Puppy phobia

• crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2011
    When FI moved, we learned alot about moving, after he had already moved.

If it's possible, take your puppy to the new place your moving to a couple of times so she can sniff out the area and become familar with it.

Here's a couple of websites
    www.movermax.com/moving_guides/pets/moving_with_dogs_tips_and_guide.asp">

http://www.dogguide.net/moving-with-dogs.php
  • Thanks for the website.  We are moving 1000 miles, so we can't go to the place before, any other suggestions?   
  • Maybe put some boxes in the car and take her for a car ride. Show her that she gets to go with you. It might be worth a shot.
  • Thanks, that's a good idea, we will try that. 
  • Yikes.
    Well, a co worker of mine told us to fill a bottle of water with the water you usually put in her bowl. Then when you get there, use the water from the bottle to put in her bowl, and gradually add the water from where you are living.
     (I don't know how true this is or not, we didn't try because we only moved across town)

Copper had a rough time when we moved. But I think it was mostly because the layout of the two apartments were so different there was no way to put his stuff in the place it used to be, without it being in the way. (for example, at the old apt his food used to be right in the entry to the kitchen, well at the new apt if you do this it's in the way of the refrigerator.) 

He was also abandoned in the apt parking lot. What we did is since I was fresh off restrictions from tonsil surgery Copper and I made the first trip and I started unloading those things while Copper got to explore the space without the furniture there. And I gave him lots of kisses and told him we loved him and this was his new home.
  • Does she have something to distract her while you are packing? A stuffed Kong or a bully stick? Something she really likes. That might help. They also have these diffusers with D.A.P. that I know a lot of people use for their dogs that have anxiety issues, its supposed to calm them down. I don't know how long they take to work, but its a thought.

http://www.petco.com/product/10534/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-DAP-for-Dogs.aspx
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She has her favorite toys, and bones, but they don't seem that distracting.  So far Fi packs while I sit with her and she curls up under a blanket.  That helps while we are packing, but we are doing it gradually (as recommended by the vet) and we will have to leave her alone (with the other dog) for at least some time during the process. 

• Do you use a crate at all? Missy (my dog) knows that crate is her mini home. She is very comfortable in it, I've moved a couple times and make sure to keep it set up for a week or two so she can have a comfortable spot to sleep, relax. Also don't wash her doggie bed or blankets, having that familiar smell helps tremendously.

In the meantime, I second the kong and other distractions while you pack.

HTH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppy-phobia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:592c47fb-3f6e-4e2f-b0c7-71ce5b54c55bPost:a56be57f-7000-485c-8de3-686c2b990d4a">Re: Puppy phobia</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you use a crate at all? Missy (my dog) knows that crate is her mini home. She is very comfortable in it, I've moved a couple times and make sure to keep it set up for a week or two so she can have a comfortable spot to sleep, relax. <strong>Also don't wash her doggie bed or blankets, having that familiar smell helps tremendously</strong>. In the meantime, I second the<strong> kong </strong>and other distractions while you pack. HTH!
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

YES!

You get a fillable Kong and fill it with Peanut butter, that might distract her for a while. Or one of those balls with the treats in it?
  • We used a crate when we first got her, but we havn't for a while (I suppose she isn't really a puppy, she is full grown but acts like a puppy in a lot of ways).  We havn't used it because the two dogs like being together and they don't both fit.  Do you think we should bring it back out for the move?  She was fine with it, but she likes being with the other dog...
  • My dogs love when I stuff their Kongs with some yummy smelling dog canned food and then freeze them. I use them as a distraction when we leave the house and they don't even know we left.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the suggestions for the Kong.  That will probably be nice and distracting.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppy-phobia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:592c47fb-3f6e-4e2f-b0c7-71ce5b54c55bPost:a67a3125-840d-4f1b-8fe3-14a9e0b5753f">Re: Puppy phobia</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used a crate when we first got her, but we havn't for a while (I suppose she isn't really a puppy, she is full grown but acts like a puppy in a lot of ways).  We havn't used it because the two dogs like being together and they don't both fit.  Do you think we should bring it back out for the move?  She was fine with it, but she likes being with the other dog...
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

<div>Just put it out with some comforting items in it. The closeness of the "den" can make them more comfortable. If you have to leave her, you could close her in and that will likely help the peeing problem. Also, try giving her lots of love and treats she really likes for calm behaviour around the boxes (associates good things with boxes). Try not to be too worried/anxious yourself as they sense that. Change can be hard, but sounds like you are doing everything right. There is also a book that I found really helpful about adopted dogs. Link here: <a href="http://www.petfinder.com/dog-bible">http://www.petfinder.com/dog-bible</a></div>
  • Thanks, I'll start petting her a lot near the boxes.  Hopefully that will help her calm down.

One of the websites said to not let them run around the new place until you are unpacked.  Our furniture will not get there right away (it takes them an extra day), should we not let the dogs explore until after it gets there?  It seems like that extends the transition time. 
  • Well, thats not very practical. Take a few of their dog items (blankets, etc) with you. Keep them confined to 1 or 2 rooms for a couple of days, gradually introducing to the the rest of the house. This will also give them a "safe" place to be while the furniture/boxes are being unloaded!  Also, take them for a REALLY long walk around the new neighborhood as soon as you get there before you let them in the house if possible. This will let them get out some energy and be calm before you introduce them to the new place.
  • Thanks so much, a long walk sounds like a good idea.  Is it important that it be in the neighborhood, or would the dog park near by work?  The neighborhood is a bit small, and they have been to the city's dog park before (we are moving to the city my parents live in so we have been there with the dogs, just not the actual new home). 
  • I would do as much as you can in the neighborhood - it will get them familiar with where they will be every day. But the dog park is great for exercise. Good luck!!!
  • Sound suggestions from the others.  Your question reminded me of this though:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html
  • I had read that.  Honestly it makes me even more scared to move with them. 
  • Poor puppy.  I would consider bringing back the crate, especially if she already regards it a safe place.  You don't need to confine her when you're home; just leave the doors opens, and cozy up the inside with blankets and toys, so she has a shelter from the moving stress if she chooses to you use it.  Then, when you complete the move, make sure the crate is one of the first things you set up so she has the stability of her "den" in your new home.

Like PP's said, confining her to the crate when you around to supervise will likely help with the peeing problem, too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppy-phobia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:592c47fb-3f6e-4e2f-b0c7-71ce5b54c55bPost:401c9722-c391-451f-b745-a71ec71dbb5e">Re: Puppy phobia</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had read that.  Honestly it makes me even more scared to move with them. 
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

Sorry it wasn't supposed to make you more scared - I was hoping that it would let you know that others have gone thru it and while you may not be able to write about it so humorously afterwards - perhaps you can find some comfort with the humor.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppy-phobia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:592c47fb-3f6e-4e2f-b0c7-71ce5b54c55bPost:47d98035-ccc1-4c6b-9319-9f03534b26db">Re: Puppy phobia</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe put some boxes in the car and take her for a car ride. Show her that she gets to go with you. It might be worth a shot.
    Posted by OutOfTheBlue612[/QUOTE]

Do this! My dog pukes in the car if we drive more then 5 minutes, she is teriffied of cars :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards