Michigan-Detroit

Paying for Hair and Makeup for Bridesmaids

So what do I do?  Is it customary to pay for hair and makeup for your bridesmaids?  I am having 2 bridesmaids at my wedding and I love them both.  However, I am on a budget.  So, what do I do?

Re: Paying for Hair and Makeup for Bridesmaids

• edited December 2011
    I didn't pay for my girls' hair...but I did get them  gift certificates for half the cost.  I made sure they were aware of the remaining cost and were ok with it. 

As for makeup, I let them know the cost and asked if they were interested - none of them were so they didn't get their makeup done. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying for my bridesmaid's makeup because I have four and only 2 of them would have paid for it. I'd rather just have everyone get it done so we all look our best! They are on their own for their hair though and they are all okay with that. So far the only expenses they've had was their dress ($120). I'm making them jewelry and they can wear any black shoes that they'd like.

I think bridesmaids expect to have to pay for their hair. If you go to a pricey salon, I would probably do like Taryn did and get them a gift certificate for part of it.
  • Julz629Julz629 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me, I don't plan on it.  But I am giving the girls the option of whether they want their hair and/or make up done.  I am sure most of them want hair, but I know a few who will do their own (and each others) make up.  If you are going to tell them they HAVE to have their hair/make up done, I think you should pay.  Otherwise its their decision.  Oh, and we're having a family friend come to our house for hair and make up so it will be much more affordable than a salon.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I should note that half of the cost for hair was $15...so it wasn't pricey for them at all.  I just wanted to include that as part of my gift(s) to them.
  • edited December 2011
    I think I'll pay for one or the other as my gift to them (along with their jewelry). I really don't know what to get, and I have a drawer full of BM gifts that I've received that I never use (pink flask, teddy bear, cheap "gold" necklace), so I think I'm going to go for practical.
  • Melgor78Melgor78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For part of my MOH gift I might (she also my sister and is on a tight budget) but for the others there on the own but  they can do what they want.  I think I'm going to have someone that comes to your home for hair and makeup and offer them to use that or go where they want or do it them selfs. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm considering paying half for my girls makeup. I really want them to have their makeup done professionally, so half is what I can offer. They are paying for their own hair.
  • edited December 2011
    I have been a BM in in 4 weddings and i always had to pay for my own hair and makeup. I am getting married 10/30 and I am not paying for my BM's hair or makeup (we are on a tight budget)
  • edited December 2011
    I think (like Julie said) if you are requiring they get things professionally done then you should offer to pay for it. If its just an option then they can chose what they want/can afford to do.

I will not be paying for it but I don't know what's going to happen with that yet.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards