June 2012 Weddings

Childcare?!

Hi all..I'm a june 2012 bride and I know it may be a bit early to start planning the small things, but I was wondering about what you all are going to do for childcare? Are you hiring sitters, not inviting children, or just letting the children roam around the venue? I'd like to invite children, but I know how uncooperative they can be at times.. I'd like to pay for some sort of childcare, but I don't have any ideas. I guess that could be a good question to ask a potential venue..if they offer some kind of childcare service..I wonder how much extra that would cost us. Would you guys pay extra for childcare at your wedding? TIA!!

Re: Childcare?!

• I'm allowing kids to roam free.  Our wedding is in the afternoon and more casual then formal, so it won't be a big deal for us.

I personally wouldn't pay extra for childcare.  If you don't mind having kids present, I would ask the venue if there was maybe a room you could use to set up kid stuff like coloring books and crayons, maybe a movie and have some kid friendly snacks.  If you don't want kids involved at all, I would say it's up to the parents to figure out the situation individually.  If your wedding is in your area and most people don't have to travel, then I'm sure people with kids won't mind having a sitter for the night.

• Children will roam free. It's what we always did when my cousins and I were kids at weddings and we didn't get into too much trouble. None really.

One thing I am considering doing is a special toss for the kids like one of my cousins did. It was a bunch of stuffed animals! Super cute.
  • I'm having an adults only reception minus immediate family's kids.

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • NO CHILDREN at my wedding! Sorry to sound like such a bitch, but its just not the place for kids (in my opinion) but it also depends what kind of wedding you plan on having like Julbgordo said hers is afternoon and thats perfect for kids.

Even the kids in the wedding will be having dinner and leaving after. I remember being a kid at my aunts wedding (I was the flower girl and it was my 6th birthday) and I cried and acted like a little witch because I wanted to go home. My mom reminds me of it until this day and I keep telling her it was her fault to bring a 6 year old and expect her to last all day and night ahhah...

But do what you feel is best for the feel of your wedding.
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
  • We are having ours adult only as there are no children in our ceremony.  We have 5 close neices and nephews that we will allow if the parents want but we brought it up to them and they said they werent planning on bringing the kids anyways.
  • The kids will roam at our reception.  No childcare provided.  If the parents want to bring them, its their responsibility to watch them.  They will probably love the DJ and dancing and there isn't much trouble for them to get into. 

We originally planned on having an adults only reception.  However, FI has a few younger cousins that we really wanted to be there.  We had a hard time saying "Oh you can bring your kids, but not you."  So we just decided to let children come.  I have a feeling a lot of the adults will want to enjoy the night without their children and not bring them anyways.
    Photobucket
  • We aren't inviting children to keep the guest list under control and because with adults only we are close to the maximum for our venue. That being said, I have many fun memories of being a kid at my cousin's weddings where we were allowed to roam free so I don't think that would be a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for anyone's childcare. I think the parents can make the decision whether or not to bring their kids and it is their responsibility if the kids get bored, cranky, etc. If you have a lot of OOT guests I do think it would a nice gesture to have a list of babysitters that you can recommend but you don't need to offer to pay for it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We'll let the children roam.  I think all of the kids in our families will either be too young to be out late anyway (like under 3 or 4) or too old to cause any problems.  I'm with PPs and wouldn't pay for childcare.  If the child can't handle being there, mom and dad should be well aware and not bring them.  I do like the idea of maybe supplying a list of possible reliable babysitters for OOT guests if they wish to use one.  If you're making a wedding website that could be a good place to provide the info.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • We're going to let the kids roam free! Our venue does have a small seprate room where I might set up a little table with activities on it for them. But, if they would rather dance that would be fine with me!
  • We are having kids roam free.  All the kids that are in the family/we know and are invited are all good kids that won't do much beyond maybe have too much pop/juice and dance.
  • edited April 2011
    We are only inviting children of immediate family members, which basically means just FI's nieces and nephews. The plan is for them to roam free, but I'm considering hiring a sitter anyways. FI's nieces and nephews are young, and we want his siblings to be able to enjoy the wedding without feeling like they have to "keep track" of their children all night (for a lack of a better phrase). We plan on renting a house on our venue's property for the weekend (it's a long drive, so we'd like to spend the night there before and after the wedding), so kids could retire to the house with the sitter after dinner and a little bit of dancing if their parents wish.

Like I said, we're still thinking about it. But I'm strongly considering the option. If FI didn't have nieces and nephews, we would be having a strictly adults only reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow you girls are making feel like a cold hearted bridezilla not having kids at our wedding! haha The irony is I'm a teacher!
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:2c968892-e775-4547-ab2c-dd64d4371d41">Re: Childcare?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Wow you girls are making feel like a cold hearted bridezilla</strong> not having kids at our wedding! haha The irony is I'm a teacher!
    Posted by MaryLaura13[/QUOTE]

Haha, don't feel that way! Like I said in my post above, if it wasn't for FI's nieces and nephews we'd be having an adults only reception too. As it is, no children from my side of the family will be invited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:2c968892-e775-4547-ab2c-dd64d4371d41">Re: Childcare?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow you girls are making feel like a cold hearted bridezilla not having kids at our wedding! haha The irony is I'm a teacher!

Don't feel that way!  If kids weren't cheaper they'd be cut from our list too.
  • Thanks ladies! I am pretty firm on this decision. def not budging on it!
  • edited April 2011
    A tip from a good friend is to hire a babysitter, and after the kids enjoy the reception a little bit, they can all hang out in the bridal suite with games, DVDs, etc.  I will definitely be hiring a babysitter for our daughter as she'll only be 2 at our wedding and I want to know she's in good hands. 

Edit: I would never pay for a babysitter to watch other people's kids.  I was kind of answering this question from a parent stand point.  My daughter will be at our wedding but I don't want to have to take care of her and tend to her every need during the reception ( I know that sounds bad but you know what I mean).  I want her there but want to enjoy myself too lol so we are just hiring a babysitter just for her.  I don't really want kids at our reception but there will be a few nieces, nephews, and close family friend children there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're having all the kids there.  I'm hoping to set up a corner of the reception hall as kids corner and have some fun stuff for them there!
  • We will probably let them do whatever. We are only having 4 kids at the wedding - the ring bearer his sister, and the flower girl and her sister. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:c41f7250-8354-40e8-8045-510e1d21d569">Re: Childcare?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]NO CHILDREN at my wedding! Sorry to sound like such a bitch, but its just not the place for kids (in my opinion) but it also depends what kind of wedding you plan on having like Julbgordo said hers is afternoon and thats perfect for kids. Even the kids in the wedding will be having dinner and leaving after. I remember being a kid at my aunts wedding (I was the flower girl and it was my 6th birthday) and I cried and acted like a little witch because I wanted to go home. My mom reminds me of it until this day and I keep telling her it was her fault to bring a 6 year old and expect her to last all day and night ahhah... But do what you feel is best for the feel of your wedding.

<div>
    </div><div>I may sound like a bitch too, but there will be only one child at my wedding, my fi's nephew. Honestly, I work with kids all day, and for my wedding, would like it to be an adult afair. Especially since it is going to be a more elegant wedding and at night.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
    [QUOTE]Wow you girls are making feel like a cold hearted bridezilla not having kids at our wedding! haha The irony is I'm a teacher!

I'm not having kids at my wedding either (besides those in the WP) and I'm also a teacher. =) We're having a formal, evening wedding and I personally don't think it's the place for children.
    Photobucket
  • the only "children" will be cousins; the youngest of the bunch will be 12 if they decide to come.  Luckily, we don't have any friends with kids so it wasn't really a tough choice for us, but I am happy because we would like our wedding to be more of an adult reception anyway, and so if cousins do come, they are not at the young age where they would need to be entertained/watched all night. 
    imageimage
  • We're not having any kids at our wedding. We don't have any in our WP and I'm not inviting any. I might sound bitchy but I'm not budging on that one. We don't have many people that we are inviting with young kids anyway so I don't see it being a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:2c968892-e775-4547-ab2c-dd64d4371d41">Re: Childcare?!</a>:

GIRL! I am a teacher too! lol.

I am having kids roam free with a potential room set up in the back because I would love for the kids to be there...also my friend had kids at her wedding and although it was an afternoon/evening wedding, I had fun with them as the MOH. Granted, their parents weren't too concerned but we danced with them and had an awesome time! I taught the younger ones all of the choreographed dances...and I think they had an awesome experience...something I would love to give to all my little cousins!
  • I wish we could do adults only, on his side they usually do and on my side they allow kids. The thing is though that almost ALL the kids are school age and most of them are over 10 so i am not overly worried, my son is 12 and needs kids to play with, i know the younger ones will end up with a babysitter as their parents want the evening to themselves but i am not going to make that choice for anyone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:2c968892-e775-4547-ab2c-dd64d4371d41">Re: Childcare?!</a>:

this is funny.  to each her own.  we will also let them roam free-  i think they provide great entertainment, especially on the dance floor.  i will probably buy bubbles and coloring books or something like that though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic "June 2012" November Siggy: cake inspiration Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't going to pay for childcare. I think if the parents want to bring them, they are responsible for them. If they get into trouble, then it is their fault.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are inviting lots of children, as FI has 6 nieces and nephews and I'm the oldest or near-oldest of all of my cousins.  But very few of my cousins will be under the age of 10, and FI's nieces and nephews are all quite well behaved, so I'm not concerned about childcare.

If you do decide to invest in childcare for the children at your wedding, I would make sure it can happen on-site for the reception.  Most parents I know would happily allow someone else to watch their children at a wedding reception, but would not be willing to let their children be entirely out of their site without personal knowledge of the babysitter.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_childcare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:211fc34e-be9e-4da0-b8eb-d017378af0a9Post:85cb2998-39fa-4722-8c5f-c44adb8431c3">Re: Childcare?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't going to pay for childcare. I think if the parents want to bring them, they are responsible for them. If they get into trouble, then it is their fault.
    Posted by doeie04[/QUOTE]

<div>I totally agree.  We will invite them and if the parents decide to bring them, their kids are their repsonsibiltiy to care for. </div>
    Anniversary
  • EnamiEnami member
    First Comment
    Haha, no way are we paying for chilcare. It seems everyone we know id knocked up right now, and that's going to be a lot of <1 y.o. next June. I've got a huge family, and have been to lots of their weddings growing up, no matter my age. Kids running around at receptions is the norm for us. Really, kids aren't little demons out to ruin your day, but w/e.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards