Wedding Etiquette Forum

What's your passion?

I was just reading an article online about a White Sox player and his wife who picked up the vet bill for a stray dog that was found with a hunting arrow in her side.  The article goes on to discuss how they are very active in the local animal rescue community.  Then I started reading the comments....  people are bashing him for using his money towards animal rescue and not something 'better' such as kids with cancer, malnourished babies, etc (these were examples they used).  I don't understand how people can manage to find a negative in a postive story.  
What makes their passion more important than his?  What are your passions?  Where did your interest for it come from?  I'm just curious.
Photobucket

Re: What's your passion?

• That's horrible that they would criticize him for that. 

i have much more compassion for sick animals than people.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I find a lot of the comments on on-line newspaper articles are written by idiots.
    Photobucket
  • That's just stupid. Let's applaud the guy for helping out! Even if he is a White Sox's player, I can get behind kind gestures of any kind. Awesome.

My passions: Helping children in bad circumstances. Child abuse, health of children, organizations for kids...you name it. Helping those who can't help themselves, I suppose.

Where did it come from? I'm not sure. I come from a family of helpers. My dad is a therapist, too. My mom works with developmentally disabled adults, my brother is a program manager for a residential treatment center for kids and my little brother is going to school right now for social work.

I think it's just in my blood.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I know Fishey, I'm a Cubs fans, so it hurts to like a Sox player :)

You come from a family of do-gooders Fish :)

I'm an animal person.  I used to volunteer with a rescue quite a bit, I ran the fundraising department for a few years.  I guess it kinda runs in the family, even though my mom denies it.  She used to bring in random animals when we were young - a parakeet she found in the yard, an injured duck, etc.  My brother is known for bringing home strays that come into his PD.  
    I would love to run my own kill-free shelter.  Actually, if I'm in dreamsicle world, I would love to run something like Best Friends out in utah.
    Photobucket
  • I have a low opinion of general society. I feel like I lot of people who comment on online stories also think Obama wasn't born in the US and Michael Vick should be this year's NFL MVP.

I'm glad that there are people like him who donate to animal rescue the like if they are financially able to. I would donate more if I could.
  • I would love to run some type of ranch that could foster doggies in a nice home setting.
  • I can't beleive people are resorting to judging other people's charitable work.  Yeesh. 

After rescuing that puppy in Bali, I donate to the Bali Street Dog Fund.  H's big thing is a charity/orphanage in Peru that helps kids with illnesses and deformities that cause their parents to have to abandon them since they can't afford the medical care.  I don't know what my "passion" is, but I do donate to causes that I believe in, like the local food banks and homeless shelters, battered women shelter, and retirement funds for priests. 
  • Best Friends, Birdie!  Lets stat our own!
    Photobucket
  • Yes!! Honestly, this is kind of a follow up to Snippy's thread, but if I didn't have to worry about money I would do some type of doggie rescue or doggie daycare. I love the organizations that save breeds like pit bulls and rehabilitate them. I like dogs more than a lot of people.
  • "When I grow up," I'd love to foster dogs too. 
  • Me too, Mica.  Once we have a yard I want to foster.  I did foster cats.  
    Photobucket
  • I'd love to find out if those commentators on that article are actually donating to those "worthier" causes or just spouting hot air.
  • I love animals, too. When my grandfather passed away earlier this year, he asked that any money he got be donated to the Humane Society in our home county. There were some realllly awesome people who made some more than generous donations. I love people.

He had a cat who I SWEAR kept him alive after my gramma died, which was his motivation.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-passion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7821ac2-e31d-458b-9e56-f4400c529497Post:f0768c3a-6dee-48c6-bcd9-3b082b640a49">Re: What's your passion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd love to find out if those commentators on that article are actually donating to those "worthier" causes or just spouting hot air.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]
    My thoughts exactly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like kids too, I just haven't been around them all that much in my life. They can't help that they've been handed crappy circumstances. I'm glad there are people out there like you fish who are really passionate about helping them. I read blogs about various kids with cancer and it got me into going to donate blood regularly for awhile.
  • Every dog in my immediate family, save 2, have been rescue dogs - either from shelters, the street, or literally, the gutter.

I would love to volunteer to be a "baby holder" type person in a newborn or neonatal unit. I always want to do the hats and blankets to donate to preemies (there's a couple of organizations), but I'm too slow.

Now that there's a premature infant in my family, that might stimulate me to do some more with it.

Fish, I always wanted to be in social work/psychology. I didn't because a) I didn't want to go to grad school and b) because I didn't think I'd be able to leave my work at home at the end of the day. I don't know how you, my uncle, and others like you do it.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Unless you're giving to a charity that promotes killing people or animals I have no problem with who people give money too.  There are countless charities and different groups of people and animals in the world that need all the help they can get.  Who is anyone to judge where you give the money to?  Even if there was a charity that helped prisoners with cancer or something, I still wouldn't care if people donated there if it meant something to them.  It wouldn't be my choice, but who am I to judge who someone wants to help out?

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree andy. I wonder how many more girls would use it if BC like Nuvaring and Depovera were free and readily available.
  • I'm passionate about food. I wish it were something more, I don't know important, but if I'm being honest about what I really get fired up about, it's feeding people. Which I guess is kind of important. It's mostly to do with the culture I was raised in. When people walk into my mom's house, the first thing she does is offer them something to eat. Dinner time was always a BFD in my house. Even if it was frozen pizza, we ate together as a family, because my mom insisted on it. So cooking is what blows my hair back.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I agree! Let them be protected against pregnancy for the love of god!

And LC, you can cook me food anytime. ANY. TIME.

The Margarita Evolution
  • LC I know what you mean.  I love cooking good food for people.  I would have parties all the time if it meant I could cook for people.   Too bad we don't have enough friends here to have a party.  And that I won't cook big meals for myself.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-passion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7821ac2-e31d-458b-9e56-f4400c529497Post:a3470c3a-9e31-4f5a-8062-2afee662b7e7">Re: What's your passion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree! Let them be protected against pregnancy for the love of god! And LC, you can cook me food anytime. ANY. TIME.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]
    And while we are at it - lets get those puppies and kitties fixed up too.  I really think that fundraiser I went to on Friday changed my entire mental framework on pet ownership.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Venture down from the frigid tundra that is Fargo, and I'll cook for you. I can't cook in negative temperatures.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I'm in!! Sign me up and cook me dinner!

The Margarita Evolution
  • Mr. Rogers is like my hero. Anytime I felt down about something that had happened at work or whatever, I'd actually come home and watch the show. No lie. I cried when he passed away.

Well, you have my admiration for what you do.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • You're too sweet, Missy. Thank you. ♥

I love him, too. Like crazy.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I am a huge animal lover and am usually more likely to contribute to animal charities than people charities, yet it makes me sad when people claim to like animals more than people.  I feel sad that they don't know that many good people in their life to at least love equally as much as animals.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-passion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7821ac2-e31d-458b-9e56-f4400c529497Post:780e937c-2039-49e6-8195-70e5d2e853d2">Re: What's your passion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am a huge animal lover and am usually more likely to contribute to animal charities than people charities, yet it makes me sad when people claim to like animals more than people.  I feel sad that they don't know that many good people in their life to at least love equally as much as animals.
    Posted by saschaduran[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say I like animals better than people (though it depends on the day) but I think I feel for animals, and children, more than adults.  I think it's their innocence.

I've always had a greater problem reading a book or watching a movie where animals died.  I recall a murder mystery I read where an elderly woman was murdered, and as a result her dogs were locked outside in the cold and died of exposure.  I was far more heartbroken for the dogs than the woman.
  • I tend to think most people who are animal lovers are decent enough human beings that they also care for people.  Like, do you really ever know someone who would save a starving dog but would turn away a needy child?  I dont know any.  So I think of animal lovers as more loving people in general, if that makes sense...

My passion, and this may seem weird, is racial equality.  I'm a blonde hair, blue eyed Swedish chick from MN so I've never been on the receiving end of true racism but I have best friends who have and I dont think most people realize how alive and well racism still is.  It makes me so sad and sick to see it in 2010.

"To be white in America, is to not have to think about it."  Im not all crazy white priviledge lady or anything, but its very easy to be white in most of America- and Im guessing Canada too and I just wish more people realized it and were more socially sensitive.
  • I did the Susan G. Komen 3-day for a Cure last year.  It was amazing and awe inspiring and all that jazz, but I heard all these stories about why people were walking and saw people walking with shin splints, and blisters, and all this and I thought - no way am I that nuts for this cause.  I did do all 60 miles though, and surpassed the fundraising minimum by a couple hundred dollars, but I didn't really suffer for it (at least not beyond sore leg muscles).  
    I don't think I'm up for the training that would be required to walk again this year, especially without a co-walker, but I think I might sign up to crew one of them to support the cause.  I have to talk to my friend and see if she's still thinking of doing that.  We walked together last year, and  we talked about walking one and crewing one together this year, but now she's having triplets and moving to Houston and is signed up to walk the 2nd (or 3rd) to last walk of the year in Dallas so I'm not sure she'll crew for any of the earlier ones or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards