Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids: Should I get a gift or treat them to a mani/pedi?

Hi all, So I am trying to decide if I should treat my girls to a mani/pedi or get them a real gift worth about the same value of the spa visit. I would love to be able to get them both but I really can't afford it and I don't want to just tack on a cheap gift that wouldn't be meaningful to the mani/pedis. I couldn't ask them to pay on their own, but I've always envisioned a spa day as part of the wedding so I'm not sure if it's selfish of me to give them the mani/pedi as their gift when they might not have cared about getting it otherwise. 

If you were/are a bridesmaid, which would you prefer? 

Re: Bridesmaids: Should I get a gift or treat them to a mani/pedi?

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-should-gift-treat-manipedi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:455f6181-cec4-4c0c-a936-0cdee60bd422Post:009a4230-1d36-415e-b07a-dd34e4f7130f">Bridesmaids: Should I get a gift or treat them to a mani/pedi?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all, So I am trying to decide if I should treat my girls to a mani/pedi or get them a real gift worth about the same value of the spa visit. I would love to be able to get them both but I really can't afford it and I don't want to just tack on a cheap gift that wouldn't be meaningful to the mani/pedis. <strong>I couldn't ask them to pay on their own<u>, but I've always envisioned a spa day as part of the wedding </u>so I'm not sure if it's selfish of me to give them the mani/pedi as their gift when they might not have cared about getting it otherwise.</strong>  If you were/are a bridesmaid, which would you prefer? 
    Posted by LGrunner[/QUOTE]

<div>I think you already know. You want to do a fun girls together time beauty day so that everyone can get pretty before your wedding. But that's the thing, your doing it <em>for</em> <strong>your</strong> wedding, which isn't exactly a gift. I have never came across any random group of friends or family that do one huge spa day that's paid for by the one person for no apparent reason. The reason you want a spa day, is because it is what <strong>you</strong> "envisioned", not your friends. So I'm going to say, no on making it their gift.</div><div>
    </div><div> I think the best thing you can do is just giving it as a optional open invite that they are welcome to come to get their nails done with you, but they don't have to. If they do come then depending on what they want it will be X amount. So though it's something fun to do, you shouldn't make it their gift. </div><div><div>
    </div></div>
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Real gift.  I personally consider a mani/pedi to be a moderate form of torture.  I didn't get my nails done for my own wedding, I'm not doing it for someone else's.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also said real gift.  The mani/pedi thing is really for you not for them.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    Real gift.  The mani/pedi is something YOU want because YOU'VE envisioned it.  So it's not really a gift for your friends as much as it's fulfilling a "vision" that you have.

And I don't get pedis ever.   Ever.  So I would be declining your "gift".  Get me a gift card to download a book or two for my kindle; or a NY Giants sweatshirt; or something else that is chosen with me in mind, and I'd love it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Even though I enjoy manis/pedis, not everyone does. So they could end up hating it, and then that woudn't be a fun gift for anyone. Even if they like it, if you are requiring them to have professionally done nails for your wedding, you pay for it b/c you are requiring it, but it isn't a gift for them, just as jewelry or hair for the wedding day is not. It's part of their "uniform" if you will. If you can't afford a gift AND the spa stuff, don't require professional nails, so then you don't have to pay for it, and get them each a gift that they would like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    If the mani/pedi is for your wedding it's not really a gift. It's just you paying for something you want them to get done for your wedding, ya know?

You could give them a certificate or something so they could get a mani/pedi on their own time, though. But only if they would like it, of course.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    edited December 2011
    Definitely real gift. If the spa trip is something for your wedding, then it isn't a gift. The BM gift should be something that they enjoy as a thank you for being in your wedding, not something that has anything to to with your vision of the big day. If you want them to come with you, tell them that it is optional & maybe they'll decide to come for emotional support. 
    Photobucket
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I'd prefer to be treated to a mani-pedi. 

Or if you were thinking really nice gifts, do both, just scale back to a small token gift in addition to the salon services.
  • edited December 2011
    you know your friends best.  if they're the salon girls type, i'd say go for the mani/pedi. 

i personally would love a free mani/pedi!  i wouldn't care if it was before the big day.  i'd still graciously accept and see it as a wonderful thank you.  and the extra bonus would be that i got to spend it with my wonderful friend and bride to be! 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If they are spa girls then the mani/pedi is a great idea. If they aren't or you don't know then it could be very very bad (ie some people have issues with getting their feet touched, etc.)

A regular gift and an invitation to join you for mani/pedis would be best.
  • KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A real gift that doesn't need to be "fixed" in less than two weeks.  They'll appreciate it.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards