Wedding Etiquette Forum

WR "I don't get it"

12346»

Re: WR "I don't get it"

• I don't get why people keep calling them a mustache. Let's go with musthave.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:88914d72-2d26-490e-b922-6692832f4279">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get all the "friends" that are suddenly popping out of the woodwork, hoping for an invite. We haven't spoken in 3 years, and suddenly you want to do lunch once a week and hear all about my planning? Nice...
    Posted by LAURENFOLEY[/QUOTE]

THIS! When I changed my Facebook status to engaged, I had people I haven't seen in like 10 years say, "I better get an invite!" Who says that to even their good friends? If you have to TELL someone to give you an invitation, there's a problem. And? It's not like feeding people is cheap at weddings!
  • I don't get large bridal parties
    random decor elements that dont mean anything
    unneccessary opulence its such a waste ( down payment for a house anyone?)
  • Very cynical post...each (bride) to her own.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:5b1b77f9-28fb-4f41-ae9c-5dbbf5ef24f9">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get donations in the guest's name in lieu of favors. Just don't do favors at all and make a donation on your own time.
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

We decided to do the donation in lieu of favors, because the donation made more sense. Most people ditch the favor and we wanted to do something really special. My father died of a rare cancer and right after we became engaged his father had his prostated removed because of cancer. We chose to make a donation in the guests name, and give them a homemade candle with a ribbon with our favorite word. Everyone we've talked to about it thinks its one of the best ideas for a favor they've heard of.

Personally I don't get couples that
     1.) invite a bunch of people they don't know.
     2.) Use a church because it will make for great photos
     3.) destinaiton weddings with a second wedding when they return.
     4) Super huge centerpieces
    my intended doesn't get
    1.) shoving the cake in the face
    2.) The first look photos ( I tried explaining it, but he thinks its weird and is appalled. lol0
    3.) The super huge wedding parties.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:e79d3e2b-d374-437e-86e9-4b6abaa9e77c">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : Grooms cakes are apparently only big in the south. Most of the weddings that I've been to have had grooms cakes. The main reason people do a grooms cake is to have something that's more of the grooms personality (since most of the wedding is all about the bride, and the groom only has so much say in the planning) A lot of people do a theme like a truck, dirt bike track, fishing, golfing, sports, whatever the groom is in to. A lot of people now have moved away from that and just have a simple chocolate cake with chocolate icing and strawberries or something (this to me is pointless.) Another reason, most people do chocolate for grooms cake, and white for the brides cake. This way they can have a different flavor for people that don't like the basic white cake. If the groom doesn't like chocolate, they can pick a different flavor. 
    Posted by Beccalgray[/QUOTE]

Most of my family is from the south and we do grooms cakes. My fiance is not from the south and we explained it to them. He dislikes cake and dessert. But the concept of a grooms cake seemed cool to him, so we came up with a special alternative. We are getting married on my grandparents anniversary, and are dedicating what would be the grooms cake to them. Its gonna be shaped like texas (they were married in fort worth, texas) and are very proud texans and on it are gonna be cute little things from their lives. We are designing it with my aunts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:4f51228e-a201-42d6-849e-bc890dfb7a34">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : I don't get why couples give favors to announce they did a donation in lieu of giving favors.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

My mom wanted it and is paying for a third of the wedding. The candles are part of the table decorations, she just wanted to add the ribbon because she felt like that was a good idea. We nixed a bunch of her other ideas and felt this one was ok. Whether they take it or not is their choice, Its still gonna be there.
  • Actually, everytime I post on here someone says how dumb this or that is. I don't really find it to be a fun game at all. My Fiance and I express our opinions on here and we see alot of people getting cut down, who then never post again. I also notice its alot of the people who were married a while ago that do the cutting down. Not all the time. This is our last post cause we are canceling our membership as soon as I hit send. This site isn't fun anymore and not useful at all. It does however make me feel bad, and honestly I have more fun talking to my friends....And not get in a "who's wedding is better" conversation. Peace out and I hope everyones weddings are awesome. Personally we are done.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:785c6256-50fe-47d0-b0dc-ca4e113732fc">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, everytime I post on here someone says how dumb this or that is. I don't really find it to be a fun game at all. My Fiance and I express our opinions on here and we see alot of people getting cut down, who then never post again. I also notice its alot of the people who were married a while ago that do the cutting down. Not all the time. This is our last post cause we are canceling our membership as soon as I hit send. This site isn't fun anymore and not useful at all. It does however make me feel bad, and honestly I have more fun talking to my friends....And not get in a "who's wedding is better" conversation. Peace out and I hope everyones weddings are awesome. Personally we are done.
    Posted by jlwoolery1[/QUOTE]

Wow.  I hope when you create a new account you name yourself dramaqueen.  But clearly you can't hack it here when people don't just validate bad ideas, so I suggest you try a different wedding website.  Or the May 2011 Brides board, I hear they give out free puppies to anyone who posts.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:785c6256-50fe-47d0-b0dc-ca4e113732fc">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, everytime I post on here someone says how dumb this or that is. I don't really find it to be a fun game at all. My Fiance and I express our opinions on here and we see alot of people getting cut down, who then never post again. I also notice its alot of the people who were married a while ago that do the cutting down. Not all the time. This is our last post cause we are canceling our membership as soon as I hit send. This site isn't fun anymore and not useful at all. It does however make me feel bad, and honestly I have more fun talking to my friends....And not get in a "who's wedding is better" conversation. Peace out and I hope everyones weddings are awesome. Personally we are done.

Well, my wedding was the best EVA.  So there. 
    Good day sir.
    Photobucket
  • I don't get candleabras-they remind me of the Addams Family

I don't get brides that don't send thank you cards. Ugh

I don't get dry weddings...snoozeville.

I don't get fake flowers, they're not much cheaper

I don't get when the preacher has the guests say the Lord's Prayer at the ceremony..it's awkward for those who don't know it

I don't get the money dance, donation favors, or honeymoon registries

I don't get cupcake cakes

I don't get having a horse and carriage bring the bride to the ceremony
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:8cfebbfd-de0b-41fc-b586-84b0b400b098">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : Most of my family is from the south and we do grooms cakes. My fiance is not from the south and we explained it to them. He dislikes cake and dessert. But the concept of a grooms cake seemed cool to him, so we came up with a special alternative. We are getting married on my grandparents anniversary, and are dedicating what would be the grooms cake to them. Its gonna be shaped like texas (they were married in fort worth, texas) and are very proud texans and on it are gonna be cute little things from their lives. We are designing it with my aunts.

<div>
    </div><div>That sounds cute. It's nice to do something to include them since in a way, it's their day too. I'm from Texas as well. Neither of us are really what you'd call "country" even though we grew up in a tiny town (about 45 min. from ft. worth.) He's really big into custom motorcycles & trucks, their family runs a custom paint shop, so we're having a friend do a replica of his custom painted truck for our grooms cake. It definitely seems to be a southern thing to have a grooms cake, but I love the idea! He definitely has a say in pretty much everything else to do with the wedding besides my dress, but he's still a typical guy & doesn't really care what kind of flowers we have, or what style dress the bridesmaids wear. This is a way to put his true personality into the wedding without me making him make a bunch of decisions that he obviously doesn't care about.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:785d0b60-ac47-4f31-aba2-af61a4ec0b15">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : We decided to do the donation in lieu of favors, because the donation made more sense. Most people ditch the favor and we wanted to do something really special. My father died of a rare cancer and right after we became engaged his father had his prostated removed because of cancer. We chose to make a donation in the guests name, and give them a homemade candle with a ribbon with <strong>our favorite word.</strong> Everyone we've talked to about it thinks its one of the best ideas for a favor they've heard of.

<div>What word is that?</div><div>
    </div><div>Can I give ideas. I like words that sound a certain way. My all time favorite is "Persnickety". I think it sounds like a fun spell from Harry Potter. "Allocated" is also a pretty cool word, I wish I could explain why I like it but.. they are our favorite words, why explain why we like them!!!</div>
  • I don't understand people who say they would love to help, and couldn't stop talking about a wedding before you got engaged, but then when it's actually time to plan, they won't acknowledge your existance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:aa825aac-de97-493d-94d3-0a5c18447218">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand people who say they would love to help, and couldn't stop talking about a wedding before you got engaged, but then when it's actually time to plan, they won't acknowledge your existance.
    Posted by PhotoChick07[/QUOTE]

<div>What exactly do you need help with?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:f1d17260-1ddf-47ab-9d5c-60aee6a51787">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto almost everything.  I don't get: -Having more than 1 dress -Engagement sessions -Trash the dress sessions -Choreographed dances -1/4 of your guest list being in the WP -Cowboy boots for brides -Spending insane amounts of money on a wedding dress -How people actually cry when they put on "the dress" -Justifying having no bar by saying "we don't drink" -Justifying having no kids by saying "they don't need to see adults drinking"
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

<strong><font color="#800080">Me and my fiancée don't drink and we won't be having alcohol at our reception, nor do I think we should. To combat the members of our families that just need to be intoxicated to enjoy a celebration of our love, we're getting married in the middle of the afternoon. We're having a cake and punch reception and every time someone asks me why we're not having this at night, or why we're not having alcohol, I rudely respond to their rude question with, "We'll be happy to see you if you decide to come, if the lack of alcohol is what's keeping you from coming, my brother can tell you where all the bars are."</font></strong>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:aa825aac-de97-493d-94d3-0a5c18447218">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand people who say they would love to help, and couldn't stop talking about a wedding before you got engaged, but then when it's actually time to plan, they won't acknowledge your existance.

hahahaha yeah...I've had a few of these. They get you all excited like wow I have so much help if I need it... but it was just a mirage. I don't mind doing stuff myself though.

I quite enjoy the wedding projects and everything about a wedding. I like to look through The Knot's real weddings and see the cool little choices people have made.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:23ed274a-171c-4f88-8b35-01da7b13a38f">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : Me and my fiancée don't drink and we won't be having alcohol at our reception, nor do I think we should. To combat the members of our families that just need to be intoxicated to enjoy a celebration of our love, we're getting married in the middle of the afternoon. We're having a cake and punch reception and every time someone asks me why we're not having this at night, or why we're not having alcohol, I rudely respond to their rude question with, "We'll be happy to see you if you decide to come, if the lack of alcohol is what's keeping you from coming, my brother can tell you where all the bars are."

Aww, that's not very nice.

I don't like unnecessary criticism on people's wedding choices, but I also don't like the "don't like it then don't come" attitude. You invite these guests because you care about them.

Some people are just accustomed to the traditional wedding, if you choose to do something different, of course they're going to ask you "why" you chose to do it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • i dont get bridal wars. why do your friends have to compete about your wedding and theirs when its about love??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:c5dbac9c-eb18-4858-bad9-e22be7cdb19f">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : Wow.  I hope when you create a new account you name yourself dramaqueen.  But clearly you can't hack it here when people don't just validate bad ideas, so I suggest you try a different wedding website.  Or the May 2011 Brides board, I hear they give out free puppies to anyone who posts.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

no idea is a bad idea. to each his own.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:f149d2f6-987b-4bca-8a6c-2b6d20ce29ff">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WR "I don't get it" : no idea is a bad idea. to each his own.
    Posted by aschmidtboston[/QUOTE]
    When you're posting on an etiquette board, yeah, there are bad ideas.  
    Photobucket
  • Yes, when it comes to how to deal with people tactfully, invite wording, dealing with those involved with your wedding (just some examples), sure. That's why I think a lot post here for advice on those things. I understand that. But this thread is just bashing ideas of others because you "don't get it." Etiquette board appropriate? With that said, maybe this thread was meant to be light-hearted and to share your least favorite ideas other women choose to utilize. If so, people are getting offended when posts are not necessarily directed towards them personally. I think it's just important to see all sides of someone's view, especially if another is to critique it.
  • People on this board are too uptight. It's a simple question...what you "dont get" about weddings. Don't get so offended.

• You ladies are all too funny! 

I'm getting married in July 2011.  And I don't get people asking the same questions about the wedding every time I see or talk to them.  Am I wrong for wanting some elements of surprise on my special day? LOL

Wedding Blog: http://immaculatelypolishednuptials.wordpress.com/
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wr-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1bf4f70a-6c9d-4923-8642-2c2b63a6fc80Post:13b6103a-561a-4189-9b19-4e38ecdc96de">Re: WR "I don't get it"</a>:
    [QUOTE]You ladies are all too funny!  I'm getting married in July 2011.  And I don't get people asking the same questions about the wedding every time I see or talk to them.  Am I wrong for wanting some elements of surprise on my special day? LOL Wedding Blog: <a href="http://immaculatelypolishednuptials.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow">http://immaculatelypolishednuptials.wordpress.com/</a>
    Posted by jenniferkford[/QUOTE]
    I don't get over-the-top wedding blogs.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree!! The mustaches are soooo stupid! Why would you do that?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards