Attire & Accessories Forum

Did you practice walking, sitting, etc. in your dress before the big day?

I got my dress, and it's awesome! 

I tried it on again at home and realized that since it has a train and is also mermaid shaped, I had to figure out how to walk in it without tripping over it or stepping on the train.

I figured out that I have to kind of walk in large circles instead of making sharp turns or backing up. 

And I was trying to figure out how to be able to lift the front/back of my dress in a way that looks elegant and doesn't show off my (figurative) bloomers. 

Anybody else feel like a little kid playing dress up?  :-)  Care to share any advice or mishaps you encountered with your dress on the big day?

Re: Did you practice walking, sitting, etc. in your dress before the big day?

• edited November 2012
    yeah in my head I pretended I was on a runway at the bridal shop.   It was fun, dress-upish, and honestly I figured if I couldn't feel that way in a dress then it wouldn't be the one!  

I have no advice for lifting up a dress elegantly.  I almost fell of the pedastle at the shop. 

Are you going to bustle it? 

I'm terrified of getting red wine on my dress.
  • Yes, I practiced a little because I needed to know I could walk and sit in it. As for lifting it up "elegantly," all you really need to do is gently lift it up a little to get it out of the way of your feet. I don't see any reason you would need to lift it up so high you would "show off your bloomers." The only time I needed to lift it any higher was getting into my MOH's SUV to drive to the ceremony, and even then, I didn't pull a Brittney. 

Immediately after bustling it, my husband stepped on the back of it while I was walking in front of him, and it broke the bustle loop. So much for that! 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I picked up my wedding dress a few days before the wedding, so I had no time to practice wearing my dress. I knew I'd just figure it all out the day of. And I was fine. 

When my dress wasn't bustled, I used the small ribbon that was attached to the inside bottom of my dress to hold it up while walking so that I wouldn't trip. The only slightly difficult part in the whole day was getting down a flight of stairs at my parents house, where I had gotten dressed. Once it was bustled after the ceremony I no longer had to worry about it. 

As for sitting in my dress, that was a little more difficult since I had a tight corset - but you get used to it. Unless your dress is too long, you shouldn't have much reason to lift up your dress, other than getting into a car or possibly walking down stairs. I'm sure you will figure out a way to lift it up slightly without showing anything. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_did-you-practice-walking-sitting-etc-in-your-dress-before-the-big-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:6a64400b-cd57-43bc-8ef3-8569f894fcf0Post:be4af022-9cc8-4992-9060-6365272ea413">Re: Did you practice walking, sitting, etc. in your dress before the big day?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I practiced a little because I needed to know I could walk and sit in it. As for lifting it up "elegantly," all you really need to do is gently lift it up a little to get it out of the way of your feet. I don't see any reason you would need to lift it up so high you would "show off your bloomers." The only time I needed to lift it any higher was getting into my MOH's SUV to drive to the ceremony, and even then, I didn't pull a Brittney.  <strong>Immediately after bustling it, my husband stepped on the back of it while I was walking in front of him, and it broke the bustle loop. So much for that! 
    </strong>Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Ha !  My partner did the same thing.  Within 5 minutes!   Mine was a 3 point bustle, and only one button ripped, so it was still sorta bustled, but it was totally uneven in the back.  I had my friend safetypin it back up for the rest of the reception
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012

My wedding dress had a tulle skirt and during our first dance my H stepped on a layer of tulle and torn it. Oh well. It was because my dressed was hemmed for my 4inch heels. But by that point in the night I was in flip flops so the tulle was dragging a bit. This is something to keep in mind when you are deciding on a hem length.

A piece of advice for when you are getting alterations done.... practice walking on the type of flooring that your ceremony will be at. I was cruising around the alterations place (which had hard wood floors) no problem. But then they asked if my church had carpet, which it does. So I practiced, walking on carpet. I could feel my dress pulling on the carpet. Keep in mind that I wore a ball grown. But the seamstress was able to shorten the dress just a little bit so it didnt pull so much and feel so heavy.

PS. I did not lift my dress up gracefully at all. but it made for one of my favorite pictures.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't practice beyond walking around during fittings but I did okay. I did wear flats for the reason of not being even further out of my comfort zone in my fancy dress and I chose a dress that had volume without a train (floor-length ballgown.) Our venue actually was on two levels with a 3/4 balcony above the lower level and I went up and down those stairs several times without trouble. I think having a properly fitted gown helps with feeling comfortable and wearing the undergarments might be something that might be easier to do ahead of time (like a PP, I was wearing a corset for the first time and I wore it prior to the big day because it definitely affects the way you sit- but in a good way! I had great posture in all my pics Smile )
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards