Michigan-Grand Rapids

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent bakery in grand rapids?

My fiance is from the Grand Rapids area, so we are gettiing married there. However, we live out of state and are not familiar with the local businesses. We've been checking out bakery websites, but everything is very expensive. Is there any place in town that makes good cake? We're even open to serving a sheet cake as long as it isn't covered in frosting made from Crisco! Or we might just serve several small cakes on pedastals.

I really appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Re: Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent bakery in grand rapids?

• bmille01bmille01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

A coworker's wife is going to make a smaller,fancier wedding cake for the head table to eat and then I'm getting sheet cakes from Costco for everyone else.  I've had Costco cakes before and they're actually really good.  A half sheet cake serves 48 people and they're only $16 bucks.  The cake is usually cut in the back anyways so no one will really know.  You do either have to have a membership or know someone whose membership you can use.  Otherwise I think they may be more.

I've also heard of people doing small cakes in the center of each table.  This way you can use it as a centerpiece as well.  Sort of kill two birds with one stone.  A family member was telling me she knew of someone who did that and they were about $30 a piece, which may seem expensive but not if you no longer have to put flowers on the table too.       

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_can-anyone-recommend-cheap-but-decent-bakery-grand-rapids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:9013207c-1294-4043-ad25-9cacfe5cec03Post:234e0795-73d2-451a-8a8a-38f03aabf661">Re: Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent bakery in grand rapids?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A coworker's wife is going to make a smaller,fancier wedding cake for the head table to eat and then I'm getting sheet cakes from Costco for everyone else.  I've had Costco cakes before and they're actually really good.  A half sheet cake serves 48 people and they're only $16 bucks.  The cake is usually cut in the back anyways so no one will really know.  <strong>You do either have to have a membership or know someone whose membership you can use.  </strong>Otherwise I think they may be more. I've also heard of people doing small cakes in the center of each table.  This way you can use it as a centerpiece as well.  Sort of kill two birds with one stone.  A family member was telling me she knew of someone who did that and they were about $30 a piece, which may seem expensive but not if you no longer have to put flowers on the table too.       
    Posted by bmille01[/QUOTE]
    Costco cakes are delicious and cheap! But yes, you do have to have a membership, or someone who is buying them has to have a membership. The only thing you can buy at Costco without a membership is liquor and that is because the prior is controlled by the State.
  • laurabaumlaurabaum member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All i can say is that i definitely would Not Recommend M&M Bakery on Grandvile Ave (SE Side of GR). That is where we're getting my cake from (unfortunately), and the service has not been very good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Well, my fiance is actually a chef and does wedding cakes. if you're interested PM me for his contact info.

I second the Costco idea or perhaps Vans Pastries or Bostwick Lake Bakery. I'm not sure on the last two but there stuff is delicious!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I decided to make my own because I just cant belive how much wedding cakes cost. But my plan was to use The Cake Ninjas. You can find them on Facebook. They are actually one of the better prices I have found and I was refered to them by a friend.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/CakeNinjas
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards