New Jersey

Monogram for hyphenated last name?

One of my BMs has a hyphenated last name and I'm trying to figure out her monogram.  Most of the sites that came up when I Google'd it said to put the hyphenated initial in the middle, without a hyphen.  So if her name is Carmen Miranda Smith-Jones, her monogram would be cSJm.  Anyone concur? Alternate suggestions?  

Of course I can ask her, but she'll want to know why I'm asking and the gift with the monogram is a surprise!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name?

• edited December 2011
    I like either cSJm or even cS-Jm if the hyphen can be added (and look good).
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • edited December 2011
    I like it without the hyphen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    in most cases cSJm will probably look better

is the monogramed gift something from Things Remembered? ;)

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • edited December 2011
    Does she care about have her maiden name in her monogram? I plan to hyphenate but will drop will maiden off my name if I monogram anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_monogram-hyphenated-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d2aa0bfe-9604-47c6-accf-1a95dd1ebf6fPost:490fd39e-bf9b-45bd-8001-8772c4973409">Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does she care about have her maiden name in her monogram? I plan to hyphenate but will drop will maiden off my name if I monogram anything.
    Posted by CaramelBride973[/QUOTE]

<div>This is probably what I would do if I decide to hyphenate!  However, the main reason she decided to hyphenate is that she felt strongly that her married name was not more important than her maiden name.  So I wouldn't know for sure unless I ask her, but I suspect that she would want the hyphenated initials to be the same size.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_monogram-hyphenated-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d2aa0bfe-9604-47c6-accf-1a95dd1ebf6fPost:32fc8489-3d70-4ce5-bd67-e6f345beb69d">Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name? : This is probably what I would do if I decide to hyphenate!  However, the main reason she decided to hyphenate is that she felt strongly that her married name was not more important than her maiden name.  So I wouldn't know for sure unless I ask her, but I suspect that she would want the hyphenated initials to be the same size.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

Well in that case I like cSJm. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_monogram-hyphenated-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d2aa0bfe-9604-47c6-accf-1a95dd1ebf6fPost:be8b6a2c-0d47-4cc7-bd5f-8e462d189e91">Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like either cSJm or even cS-Jm if the hyphen can be added (and look good).
    Posted by JoBell123[/QUOTE]

I like C S-JM
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_monogram-hyphenated-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d2aa0bfe-9604-47c6-accf-1a95dd1ebf6fPost:be9fc774-1bd8-4da9-87fa-f4443930f296">Re: Monogram for hyphenated last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]in most cases  cSJm will probably look better is the monogramed gift something from Things Remembered? ;)
    Posted by xstarx05x[/QUOTE]

<div>Also, if you can't make up your mind as to which you prefer, maybe you could sneakily ask her by pretending it's for the placecards?</div>

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards