Michigan-Grand Rapids

Nutt Farms

Hi ladies - I know there are couple of you out there that are getting married at Nutt Farms in Ravenna -- me too! I went with the future in laws the other day to check out some of the updates (been a while since we'd been there) and found out that the owners will charge you $100 to take down their DJ equipment, should you choose to book with anyone else. They're very reasonable in price and I hate to pay another hundred bucks on top of another DJ's fee's but I haven't found anyone that has used them or been to an event that they dj'd. Are they any good? I hate to go with them just because they're cheaper and have bad music all night... any feedback?

Thanks!

Re: Nutt Farms

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's a silly charge- especially if their DJ sucks.  I understand your dilemma, but I'd definitely go with someone you know and like.  Geez.  Sometimes these charges for every little thing that venues throw in just because it's a wedding really get me riled up.
  • heather_rae90heather_rae90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paul (one of the owners) actually does the DJ'ing there, and we chose to just use him because it'd be easier..kind of like killing two birds with one stone. I think he'll do a great job..he does auctions and is a generally outgoing person. Julie (the other owner) told me they have over 11,000 songs to choose from and you can tell them what you do and don't want played. I can kind of understand why they'd charge for that though, it seems like strenuous work to take it down and put it back up again.
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for the input ladies! Paul is very nice I am just not so sure he necessarily knows what the younger crowd likes to listen/dance to. I'm not saying I want to play less than appropriate songs, I just don't want to play all country all night and am not sure what kind of selection they have. Have you seen their list at all? 

I can understand that it is hard work to put the equipment up and down, but it's a little unfair to throw that price in after the fact since when I booked they said I could bring in who ever I wanted. Now it's "yeah you can bring whoever you want but you have to pay us another $100 bucks to do so." Just a little frustrating is all!

• shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    cookjam - you are totally justified in your thinking!  as i'm sure you know, keep in mind that the DJ is the one that is responsible for keeping the partying going all night, so you want to make sure you choose a good one.  so, if it is important to you to have someone with an up to date music list and they don't have it, it might be worth the extra $100...
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can e-mail them and ask for a list, I haven't seen one yet, so I'm not sure what's on it either. I doubt it has all country on it just because it's a country setting, haha. Perhaps I should ask for one too. :) You could also maybe ask for references of past brides there that have used him and ask how the crowds thought he did.
    I've kind of noticed myself that they've been charging for various things that they didn't originally charge for. I booked with them very early on, so I have a cheaper rate than what it's going for now because they raised that. In my contract it also says the ceremony area is included but they tacked on a fee for that now, too. On their website it says the DJ is $395, but when I e-mailed her about it, she told me $450! I think they're genuinely very nice people, but they're letting how successful the venue is get to their heads and are trying to figure out how to make as much money as possible. That being said, it seems like you're kind of stuck with the $100 charge though, since it says nothing about it in the contract (mine anyway). :(
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they're telling you charges that aren't listed in the contract, then you are not required to pay them unless there are exclusions written.  That's crazy they're suddenly throwing extra charges at you!

You should review your contract thoroughly
  • edited December 2011
     I think I will email and ask for a list... at least then I can see what kind of stuff he has played. When we went in January, Paul told us it was $400. There was another couple there checking the place out too and Paul told them the same thing... when did they tell you $450? I'm a little confused by how all over the place they are staring to be... and a little worried.

I'm planning to have my ceremony there as well. My contract specifically states that the outdoor ceremony site, indoor lower level, bridal suite and grooms dressing room are included in the rental with no additional charge. It also says that 100 chairs & set up are included in the use of a ceremony site... I don't know how they can try to charge you for it... I would certainly try to fight it.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They told me $450 on an e-mail dated July 9, 2009. I think I'm going to e-mail her today and ask what the for sure price is, because the website says $395, you and another potential bride were told $400, and I was told $450. Kind of messy. It just kind of appears they're not organized and can't make up their minds or something.
    My contract says the same thing as well about the ceremony site, although we aren't having our ceremony there. But like I said, recently on their website they put "Ceremony site rental $150". Must have been after we got our contracts. Are you getting married in the field/meadow? I think it'd be awesome, and I'm so jealous if you are. Also, what's your date? :)
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married October 2. I had originally really wanted to get married outside after seeing the outdoor wedding site at the Blue Dress barn (up against the barn and silo.... very cute) but I'm just a little worried about getting married outside. You never know what the weather will be like. We're just planning to use the indoor area. My future FIL is making me this beautiful arch made out of barn wood and we're going to see if we can do some re-arranging of the pews so that there is one big center aisle (instead of the short one just half way up the front ).  My future MIL is very creative so she has a lot of great ideas to really embrace the barn concept (big pots of mums, burlap aisle runners, lots of pumpkins and fall stuff etc) so I'm kind of excited about how cute it will turn out :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yours is the weekend after ours. :) I would have loved to have our ceremony in the field, but FI is Catholic and asked that it be in his church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards