April 2013 Weddings
Options

Bubbles or petal toss?

So our venue does not allow sparklers, confetti, rice, or birdseed. We are left with bubbles or flower petals for guests to throw at the send off. Which would look better in pictures? And what do you think about cost comparison? With the petals I could DIY some paper cones to put the petals in. Thoughts?

Re: Bubbles or petal toss?

• Options
    I'd prefer bubbles. I think they'd last a bit longer and so might be better for pictures, rather than everyone just throwing petals once and that's it. The only downside might be getting a bit of soap on your dress, but I can't imagine it would really do much damage.
  • Options
    ChiGirl2013ChiGirl2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Chcek with your venue on this one - ours doesn't allow petals, confetti, rice, birdseed, or anything else that has to be cleaned up.  If your venue doesn't allow the confetti, etc, they probably won't allow the rose petals, either.  Same mess, same cleanup problem.

Personally, I like the bubble sendoffs better because you can still see the bride & groom through them.  I've seen a lot of rose petal sendoffs where the petals cover the bride & groom's faces and you don't get to see much at all.... aside from the petals, that is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    Watch out for the petals too- that can get costly. My florist said it was going to cost at least $50 for the basic send off- and that was average that I found! So I nixed that idea! I'd use bubbles. Or ribbon wands- those can be cute for pictures as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My cousin did bubbles and it was horrible. Everyone was blowing bubbles at people.. people left the ceremony sticky and gross.. Id use petals ( which you can buy in bulk cheap) or  ribbon wands which look great.
    Im trying to talk my ceremony site into petals. We'll see how it goes

Good luck planning!
  • Options
    My priest shared a scary story about a grandmother of the bride slipping on petals and fracturing her hip after couple left... I would opt for bubbles totally based on that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options

Agreed with many previous comments. Bubbles can be messy and I wouldn't want that stuff in my face or on my dress. Petals sound expensive, and definitely have to be more coordinated for the photos to work out. I LOVE the ribbon idea -- cheap and green, plus you can customize which colors, what lengths, etc. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options
    Between the two, I would probably pick petals, but I'm biased (my middle name is Rose so I always favor them). Althought with that comment about the grandma and the hip, I would make sure someone was near elderly guests just in case. We are planning on having straw shooters. Fi always tries to shoot the wrapper of his straws at me, and we can get a nice big bulk package for like $11 at Sams Club. We'll have to prep all the straw and have them ready, but it should be fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards