Moms and Maids

Anyone worried about their Mother In Law?

Is anyone else concerned about their Mother In Law (to be's) behavior on the big day??? I have heard some horror stories about MIL's throwing wedding day hissy fits.

Tell me your story! 

Re: Anyone worried about their Mother In Law?

• Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It might be better to ask if anyone is not worried about their MIL?

We got married back in September.  The bridal party other than the flower girls were on MIL duty.    Fortunately, she was in front of her friends so she behaved.   Whenever there was a minor issue, we put a flower girl (her granddaughters) in between with a story for grandma.   Distract the grandma worked.  
  • orangejuliusorangejulius member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I lucked out in that my MIL is really non-confrontational and doesn't throw fits. I'd be more inclined to worry about my FIL, but even he probably won't be a problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am not so much worried that FMIL will have a fit or any sort.. She honestly doesn't do that.  The only thing I can bet all of my money on is that she will cry.. She is a frequent crier... I am used to it and I don't feed in to it.  I am concerned about how she will look that day, though.  She has a really nice, short haircut and very nice grey hair.. Unfortunately, when one of her other sons got married, she died her hair a deep brown..the dye was even on her scalp and she looked like Morticia Addams!Undecided  Other than that, I think hissy fits are on the bottom of the list..
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm one of the lucky ones who loves her FMIL!  I can't wait to go shopping with her for her dress and such.  I guess it also helps that she lives in another country and I barely see her....No but really we get along perfectly fine and she is the kind of person that has so much class and grace that I know I don't have to worry about one little thing. 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • barbie92barbie92 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am nervous about how my FMIL will act of the wedding day.
    Things have been super hard with her lately. Hopefully everything will be okay though..Undecided
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image Robby James born 2.24.12 @ 23 weeks due to preterm labor
    Remembering Robby
  • edited December 2011
    Not at all. I was more worried about my own Mother making a scene and embarrassing the crap out of me on my wedding day. Thank God she didn't do any of that and acted like an adult instead of a child.
  • orangecrayonorangecrayon member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my MIL is amazing, she's probably going to do what my mom does and just look out for me on our wedding day, and just make sure everything is perfect. I love love love her
  • jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little worried.  Future in laws are divorced.  FMIL created some drama at FI's first wedding, and FFIL and his current wife left early because of it.  We are very close with FFIL and FI's step Mom, so it would really suck if they had to leave our's..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

When my best friend got married everyone was worried about her FMIL, but she behaved herself the whole cermony and reception, got along great with her ex-hubby and his wife, even played it cool when her own mother (the groom's grandmother) cut in on the Mother/Son dance and took her place! She was a totally classy broad, belying her previous crazy behavior.

Then, as my BF and I were leaving the reception, he turns to me and whispers "OMG... Groom's mom is in that car over there... with the BARTENDER!" and sure enough, there they were making out! We had only enough time to gape before they sped off to... well, who knows where.  We try not to think about that. LOL.

But, she created no drama that day, despite her prediliction for doing so!

Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • edited December 2011
    I am not. I have a great relationship with my FMIL.

That said, what is there to worry about? Any bad behavior reflects poorly on her, not you. I would say that 90-something percent of people who normally act foolish, would not do so in front of all of their friends and family. And if they did, 90-something percent of those in attendance would take it for what it is-- a big show that has zero to do with you.

Don't stress it.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP is casting for a TV show.  She's posing as a bride to hear stories and look for participants.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_harsh-moms-dads

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_anyone-worried-their-mother-law?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:05e9dfe9-2f92-4620-9452-49190516bcd4Post:f4ef0d2b-b64b-4d96-8aaa-7f720aaa4b5e">Re: Anyone worried about their Mother In Law?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP is casting for a TV show.  She's posing as a bride to hear stories and look for participants. <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_harsh-moms-dads" rel="nofollow">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_harsh-moms-dads</a>
    Posted by vicki0508[/QUOTE]

Yup. I am reporting her PM. She sent me a PM regarding my response above to this thread. This is against TK's rules.
  • ksale130ksale130 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I know I am.  My FMIL has threatened to not come to the wedding multiple times the first being 3 days into our engagement.  She calls me tacky to my FI.  She's also upset because she hasn't been "consulted on the wedding"  and refuses to call my mother back.  This is just the beginning of course.
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I was worried but my MIL didn't show .
    Anniversary
  • aornstaornst member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my FMIL is nuts. She got mad at me because I did not want a large bridal shower (which my mother & sister are throwing) and my mom "only" offered for her to invite "only" 15 people to my bridal shower. She freaked out saying that it wasn't fair that they are being restricted. My bridal shower is now going to be huge - 50 people in my parents' house. 

She also has a "B list" for the wedding; a sort of back up of guests to invite to replace those who cannot make it. It should be noted that her "A list" consists of approximately 170 people. My parents are inviting 100, and my FI and I are inviting about 60. 

When discussions of the out-of-towners' dinner came up, we decided that my FI's family will throw it because they have more out of towners. The wedding is in September, and she has already asked me 3 times if I think my out of towners will be able to make it. I didn't really want to have it the night before the wedding because I don't want to be out late. Same concern goes for my parents. My FMIL said "you don't have to come". She seems to forget that I'm the bride. 

She has also told my mother that she has a life after this wedding - meaning she has to maintain her relationships with her friends, which is more important than mine and my FI, her son's happiness when it comes to the wedding.

Is this normal mother of the groom behaviour?? I just want to know if I am out of line and should take a chill pill. Because I've had enough of her and I'm afraid I am running out of patience and will blow up on her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards