Snarky Brides

Food

Lets talk about food, shall we?

You dont have to answer any or all of my questions, just talk about food. What do you like? How did you learn to cook, if at all? Do you have favourite foods you prefer to cook with or eat? What is the best meal youve ever had? Any interesting food memories you have to share? Something you want to try eating or cooking?

Go at it, I wanna talk about food.

Re: Food

• I am going to make homemade ravioli tomorrow. The whole process takes the better part of a day. I love Italian food. And anything with vinegar.
  • Allrecipes.com has given me the courage to cook.
  • Jas, I loooove ravioli.  FI wants to try homemade pasta sometime this fall.  He usually does the cooking...I cook occasionally, but I don't get much more adventurous than pouring Italian dressing on chicken and baking it.  I do make some yummy asparagus with olive oil, parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegar.  Yummm.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2010
    I love ravioli. I saw this show on the food channel this week where they made this ravioli that was this tall circle of spinach and ricotta piped onto the pasta and then a small quail egg was dropped inside, and then covered with the top portion of the pasta. It looked absolutelyfuckingincredible.

I would love to try my hand at making ravioli, but I would have to make the pasta and I dont have the machinery to do so :( I did make home made pasta once in home ec class and it was divine.
  • The recipe itself is really simple; it is just a long process. I usually make at least 100 at a time and freeze a bunch. Then when I don't want to cook, I can boil some, throw on sauce, and be done.

• You don't need a machine. You make it like dough and roll it out.(You probably know that.) It's a pain in the asss, but it's simple. I'm not a great cook, but I can do ravioli.

• allrecipes.com is my favorite website, ever.

FI and I have been starting to cook/eat healthier lately.  It's actually been a lot of fun trying out new recipes.  I used to be a super picky eater, but he's gotten me away from that quite a bit, so I now enjoy trying new things (but never ever ever mushrooms.)

We're considering joining a CSA next summer, too! I think it'd be fun to have to try whatever veggies someone else picks for you.  mmm
  • NebbNebb member
    I always like to say I love cheese, but to be honest, I dont. I like processed cheddar and mozarella and thats about it. I worked at a gourmet cheese store for about a week a few years ago and they made me try every kind they had and all I could think about them was how much they all tasted like dirty socks. It was awful. I am partial to hard cheeses (parm, etc), but thats really pushing it. I feel like a failure as a human.

I do think that melted cheddar cheese is one of my favourite things in life though.
  • Steph, what is a CSA?

FI and I are also trying to eat healthier...we'll do really well for a week, and then lose it.  Try again after a week, and do well for another week.  It sucks because he won't eat any veggies besides steamed green beens, and I'm pretty picky, too. 
  • I learned to cook just by trial and error, and testing out lots of recipes. My favorite is pasta. I love pasta and can't get enough of it, but I toss in some meat for H's sake. Soon I want to try a roast with carrots and potatoes, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up. Plus my crock pot isn't very big.

Tomorrow I'm making chicken and yellow rice. Next week Italian-spiced chicken on garlic sub rolls, cheese and spinach-stuffed ravioli, and BBQ sloppy joes. Yum.
  • I love Velveeta. No idea what is in it, but I love it.
  • FI just got home with dinner.  ham and pineapple calzone for me.  wings for him :).  YUM!
  • Saxy-.... um... Community Supported Agriculture (thanks, google.)

Basically, you buy a membership to a local community-run farm.  They deliver a weekly supply of local, fresh veggies.  Some also offer fresh meat, too.
  • NebbNebb member
    My mom  used to make spiral noodles with 1 big bag of spinach in it, once the noodles were cooked she would drain the water and put in milk and a full block of velveeta cheese. It is honestly one of the most amazing things ive eaten, but I cant handle that much carbs at once now :(

All of her best meals were pasta based, and I rarely eat pasta anymore and that makes me sad.
  • I like everything but my favorite type of foods are pumpkin and peanut butter.

My grandfather taught me how to cook and I taught myself.

I prefer to cook with lean beef and I like pasta.

The best meal I ever had was wither in Tuscany, Italy where they served us this assortment or roasted meats and pasta with truffle shavings. The dessert wine was awesome as well.
    The other best meal is the fried pineapple duck at a chinese res. here in Jackson. They serve the best warm almond cookies too.

My grandfather used to cook on an oil rig off shore and he used to bring me either pineapple upsidedown cake or peach cobbler wrapped in tin foil when he came home every two weeks.

Yes, I want to try this
    Thick New York Style Cheesecake!

You need:

16oz Philadelphia Brand Fat Free Cream Cheese
    16oz Philadelphia Light Whipped Cream Cheese
    3/4 cup granulated fructose
    2 large eggs
    1 egg white
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 cup fat free sour cream
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    50 grams pure whey protein powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325*F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan.
    In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheeses and fructose until light. Add the egg and egg white, beating thoroughly after each. Mix in the vanilla and sour cream. Add the cornstarch and whey protein powder and mix well.
    Pour the mixture into the pan.

Place a pan with 1 inch of hot water in it on the bottom rack of the oven.

Bake the cake at 325*F for 45 minutes on the center rack. We recommend you use a timer. Turn off the oven without opening door and let cake cool for one hour. Let cake cool thoroughly before unmolding. It's normal for the cake to crack slightly.

To unmold, carefully run a knife between the cake and pan rim and release the sides of the springform pan. Serve plain or decorate with sliced strawberries, kiwi or raspberries. Cake an be stored covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 10 days, or frozen.

Makes 16 servings.

Per slice: 150 calories; Grams = C-15g, P-11g, F-5g
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:6b19ffcb-9727-4b3a-8265-70b8a0e35899">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I learnt to cook at uni, after living in catered dorms, being able to cook my own food was glorious.  I generally do the cooking for me and FI, because he's not really a good cook. I love to eat Asian food...but after living in China for a year, I got really picky, but since coming to Canada, I've found that I can get most of the Chinese things I like.  Most interesting thing I've tried...probably camel.  At least that was the most interesting thing that I know I've tried.  I may have eaten things that I didn't know about.  At the school I worked at in China, we got served something that looked like lizard tails for lunch, but I couldn't bring myself to eat them...they were kinda still twitching!
    Posted by rhonwynv[/QUOTE]
    Where in Canada are you?

Ive never heard of eating camel! What was it like? I dont think I could eat anythings tail though, I cant see that being very appetizing. The strangest thing ive eaten before was shark.
  • Ooh Steph, that's really neat!  I may google that...and it would force us to eat our veggies. :-)

Seshat--we have a pretty small crock pot too, and we make roast.  For just the two of us, it's plenty big.  It's pretty hard to mess up, I think (especially if I can do it successfully).
  • ohh the best meal (or food in general) was when I was in Costa Rica with my dad for a weekend.

We stayed at this little hotel thing (right near the land he was looking to purchase) owned by a retired Italian couple.  We got in at like 10pm, but they still cooked us fresh spinach ravioli from scratch.  The two mornings we were there, we had awesome fresh fruit juice with whatever fresh fruit was growing there at the time.  Then the best, massive tuna steak ever for lunch. yummm. The other family that was with us had the pickiest eater kids and they ate everything too.
  • I've tried camel, too!  It wasn't bad...just chewy.  My dad made it and marinated the same way he makes steak, so it tasted pretty good, I just had a hard time getting past how chewy it was. 

I also tried octopus...that was disgusting.  But, it was from a can, so it wasn't the fanciest octopus out there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:82e9db49-32d4-4856-a31a-8c4af9dfb3f2">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh Steph, that's really neat!  I may google that...and it would force us to eat our veggies. :-) 
    Posted by saxy414[/QUOTE]

<div>Check out t<a href="http://www.localharvest.org/search.jsp?map=1&lat=39.105479&lon=-84.502052&scale=10&ty=-1&nm=&zip=45202">his website (click)</a>.</div><div>
    </div><div>Usually you can choose either a weekly or bi-weekly drop off option.  They were pretty reasonably priced when we looked!</div>
  • NebbNebb member
    Can I AW my tomatoes? I decided to grow a brandywine (heirloom) tomato plant this year and 2 were ripe today when I went out to check. One was big enough that it was the same size as my entire sandwich that I had for dinner tonight. It was incredible!

• NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:5fdb98b8-8932-4624-8ad0-799833bedbbd">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've tried camel, too!  It wasn't bad...just chewy.  My dad made it and marinated the same way he makes steak, so it tasted pretty good, I just had a hard time getting past how chewy it was.  I also tried octopus...that was disgusting.  But, it was from a can, so it wasn't the fanciest octopus out there.
    Posted by saxy414[/QUOTE]
    I love love love octopus and squid. I think they are so delicious. I really enjoy all seafood though.

I remember the last time I had calamari. I was at this huge buffet style restaurant and I grabbed a plate of what I thought were tiny onion rings. I ate the entire plate and went back for 2nds before my aunt cared to tell me I was eating squid. I was absolutely repulsed at the time, but they were too good to stay away from forever.
  • Oh, I forgot to say that the best meals I've ever had were in Ecuador. The people know how to cook. French fries made from Yucca roots, fish wrapped in banana leaves. God, it was amazing.

Oddly enough, the weirdest and worst food I've ever had was in Ecuador as well--grubs. We ate live grubs and grubs cooked over the fire. Both are disgusting.

• I love to cook.  I learned from my mom.  I gues she knew she was teaching, but it really just felt like spending time together and helping her.  I miss that, but I'm glad I got to learn a lot of her techniques and recipes.

I don't cook from recipes well, I don't like to measure.  It's why I'm no good at baking.  I usually will look up a couple recipes for something I want to make, and get the general idea of the ingredients and ratios and amounts, and just go from there. 

I wish I was better at cooking meat.  I feel like I'm good with veggies, and alright with seafood and beef, but chicken gives me hell. 
  • Nebb- that's an enormous tomato!

ohhh interesting foods? When we went to DC, my sister I tried snail, squid, octopus, all that weird stuff.  Not too bad, but we were at a Greek tapas restaurant, and the sauces were all amazing.  

I also love venison jerky.  Here it's not a weird thing, but some people from out of the Midwest think I'm crazy when I tell them I love deer meat.
  • Nebb, those are some crazy tomatoes.  They look good enough I might actually want to try them...

I'm not a huge fan of seafood, so that didn't help with the octopus I'm sure. 
  • NebbNebb member
    I hate chewy meat, I dont think I would like camel then :(

Pirategal - I am the same way, I just chuck stuff in to see what happens when I cook, and I am NOT good at baking. Baking is a science and I just cant master it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:8dcdbc37-2858-4d54-9853-209e324d190a">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Food : I love love love octopus and squid. I think they are so delicious. I really enjoy all seafood though. I remember the last time I had calamari. I was at this huge buffet style restaurant and I grabbed a plate of what I thought were tiny onion rings. I ate the entire plate and went back for 2nds before my aunt cared to tell me I was eating squid. I was absolutely repulsed at the time, but they were too good to stay away from forever.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Squid is one of my all time favorite foods :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_food-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:69d28883-5f18-4929-884f-ecad9b651a8dPost:7941dad3-48e8-420f-b9f8-f0b7e0c625ea">Re: Food</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nebb- that's an enormous tomato! ohhh interesting foods? When we went to DC, my sister I tried snail, squid, octopus, all that weird stuff.  Not too bad, but we were at a Greek tapas restaurant, and the sauces were all amazing.   I also love venison jerky.  Here it's not a weird thing, but some people from out of the Midwest think I'm crazy when I tell them I love deer meat.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Deer jerky is big here, too.  FI loves it, but I can't stand jerky of any kind. 

Uh oh...if the town elders hear that, they may kick me out. :-)
  • LOVE heirloom tomatoes.  My favorite is the purple cherokees.  FI's aunt and uncle own a farm and we get produce from them all summer, whatever is in season.  They grow a lot of heirloom tomatoes and great sweet corn.  I love this time of year :).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards