Just Engaged and Proposals

Hi Ladies

Newly engaged girly on board and I feel sooooo lost on what to do or where to start.  Can you help me,  soooo ready to hop on a plane to Vegas.  Im the last one in the family to get married and everyone seems to want to pull me in all different directions.  Sooooo please any advice would help on where to start.    Thanks Mari

Re: Hi Ladies

• First things first.  Take a really deep breath!  =]

I understand how you feel.  People pulled me in so many different directions in the beginning.  I'd read post after post on here telling brides to do what they want, not worry about anyone else, and reminding them it was their day.  I sat here for a while thinking, "gosh -- they're crazy!  They don't even know!"

Well, as it turns out, they did know!  As time goes on, you may find as I did that it gets easier to tell people, "thank you for the suggestion" and then go ahead and do what you and your FI think is best.  It's your day -- not theirs.  Take time to think about it, then do what's best for you two!

Good luck, and rest assured that these boards have plenty of awesome advice!
  • Congrats! I agree with the PP; the day is yours, do what YOU and your FI want!
  • Agree w/pp and there is nothing wrong with going to Vegas. That is what FI & I are doing to avoid all the family drama.
  • My first steps would be setting a date and creating a budget. After that, check out the knot's checklist to guide you the rest of the way.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_hi-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:18aaff74-7ada-4674-82e9-748d7264bcccPost:655cb519-e973-464c-b85f-dde62e3c94b9">Re: Hi Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]First things first.  Take a really deep breath!  =] I understand how you feel.  People pulled me in so many different directions in the beginning.  I'd read post after post on here telling brides to do what they want, not worry about anyone else, and reminding them it was their day.  I sat here for a while thinking, "gosh -- they're crazy!  They don't even know!" Well, as it turns out, they did know!  As time goes on, you may find as I did that it gets easier to tell people, "thank you for the suggestion" and then go ahead and do what you and your FI think is best.  It's your day -- not theirs.  Take time to think about it, then do what's best for you two! Good luck, and rest assured that these boards have plenty of awesome advice!
    Posted by denimdarling88[/QUOTE]
    just to be clear, you should definitely consider your guests' comfort and satisfaction when planning the reception. the previous poster's advice is good in some situations--for example, if you are paying for your own wedding but your mother in law is trying to dictate everything--but it is not relevant when it comes to issues that will impact the enjoyment of your guests. you DO need to consider them when planning every aspect of the reception. after all, the reception is your thank you to your guests.
  • Also, keep in mind who will be paying for the wedding. If your parents, for example, are going to contribute a large chunk of money towards the money, then you will need to consider their opinions, etc. Same goes for grandparents, FILs, etc that contribute. Although it is you and your FI's day, you'll need to consider those things.

I also agree with everything SS said above.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards