June 2012 Weddings

TMI Tuesday - 5/1

Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1

• edited May 2012
    I have a copper IUD. I don't do hormones, plus I'm breastfeeding and don't want any extra hormones in my body!

Before I got pregnant, DF and I were using NFP. I was taking my temps and knew when I was ovulating. We got a little careless (and I ovulated 5 days earlier than normal) and voila, I got pregnant with my little girl :)

I'd love to to NFP again, but it's just too difficult when I'm not getting 3 consecutive hours of sleep at night...

OH, and i should also say that I still haven't had a PP period, so technically I'm probably not ovulating and can't get pregnant right now anyways. wooo!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm on the Nuvaring. It's painful during sex and it's expensive (no generic), but it's worth it to me as I already have two un-planned children.

I have been on the Mirena before and had to get it taken out. I had 8 months of PP bleeding after my youngest child due to it. And when I say bleeding... i mean I literally had 8 months with 0 days of 0 bleeding.
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • Is this why I am breaking out?  I have been on the pill for 6 years.  Last month my gynecologist switched me to a different kind because I began to have spotting issues.  (Not gonna lie, I was really glad about this because the pill I was on started showing up on those commercials talking about scary side effects)  I recently started breaking out (which I almost never do) and thought it was because of stress.  Could my new pill be causing my acne? 

To answer the question, we only use my pill as BC.  We will use condoms if I am on any antibiotic or when they switched me to this new pill.  I have never missed a pill and always take it at the same time. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:87fcf9bc-c887-4348-bd44-77fc37cf4589">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use a progestin only pill called Camila (which I think is a generic)  I had to switch to this just a month ago b/c my cousin had some blood clotting issues when she became pregnant this year and her doctor said we should all get checked out because it's genetic.  Since FI and I are planning to get pregnant at some point, I got the tests done and I do have the clotting gene too.  So as a precaution my OB took me off orthotricycline because it has been known to cause clots.  <strong>It totally sucks b/c my skin is broken out </strong>and I'm nervous that it won't be completely safe for the first month or so so we're using condoms too.  I feel the same way as you Michelle- we're going to Italy, Spain and France for the honeymoon and there is no way I'm going to miss out on the wine!   That was probably really TMI for everyone!!
    Posted by HilareyL[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 203 Invited so far!
    image 142 Are ready to party!
    image 61 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:ab7f03ab-5093-4671-89c3-03fe7c19d2cd">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1 : You should still take your temp (at least in the week approaching ovulation) so you can pinpoint it.  Your body can sometimes start to shift over time and even one day can make a huge difference. NFP is so easy though. Take your temp when youget up, keep an eye out for mucous. That's about it. <strong>The pill is also considered a class 1 carcinogen
    </strong>Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ummm....WHAT?!?!??!?!?!?!?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:c6460a56-b2f5-40b6-a83a-3ad8d818e038">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]No birth control for me.... FI and I dont believe in it (and we will be waiting to have sex until we are married)..... I have been on it in the past but wont be in the future. We will be doing natural family planning.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

<div>This!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:5cd48007-56c1-4587-9419-7174bc83a823">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1 : Ummm....WHAT?!?!??!?!?!?!?
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

Yeah they usually don't like to mention that part because they wouldn't sell as much. But studies have shown it is.
  • Chels thats creepy. I've been on it for 11 years (since I was 13) for period issues - I'm totally irregular and this was the fix-it. We don't use condoms, they are incredibly painful (no matter what we've tried, I'm always swollen, doc says a slight allergy). Assuming everything else goes as planned, around March of 2013 I will be going off the pill and we'll start trying for kidlets.
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Hormone therapies (such as the pill, peri & post-menopausal treatments) are Class 1 carcinogens, but so is alcohol, nickel, THE SUN, wood dust, leather dust....

And there have also been studies showing that artificial hormones reduce the chance of certain cancers, while increasing the risk of others. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:b4b1b62b-fab2-471b-9508-d9bdf0254a95">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Chels thats creepy.</strong> I've been on it for 11 years (since I was 13) for period issues - I'm totally irregular and this was the fix-it. We don't use condoms, they are incredibly painful (no matter what we've tried, I'm always swollen, doc says a slight allergy). Assuming everything else goes as planned, around March of 2013 I will be going off the pill and we'll start trying for kidlets.
    Posted by brittneyh4[/QUOTE]

Right?
    The reason they get away with it too is, while it's carcinogenic (especially in regards to breasts/cervixes), it is known to drop ovarian cancer risks.  However, you gain more ovarian cancer prevention from one pregnancy than you gain from years of BC usage too.  I feel like doctors today are so quick to prescribe BC for any old problem, when it usually only fixes the symptoms, not the actual problem itself (PCOS for example).  What frightens me is that many GYNs don't even know what the fertile signs are in a woman's body (temp/mucous).
  • Here's an article about birth control pills and cancer. Apparently it reduces the risk of ovarian but slightly increases the risk of cervical and breast cancer.

ARTICLE
  • Holy crap we all have bronze medals now? When did those come back?
  • Chels, not too long ago. Whoever has the first post on the page dictates everyone else's badge for that page.
  • My reason 3.) I've read that it can also reduce a woman's desire for sex.  Don't want to do that...although FI might occasionally! LOL
  • I've been on the pill for 11 years now...since I was 16 so I'm good about remembering to take it right before bed.  I don't worry about the exact time as I've never gone off of it so I'm pretty sure an hour or 2 won't be a big deal.  I want to talk to my Dr. about switching it when I go for my appointment in a few weeks but I don't want her to switch it until after the wedding because I don't want to play around with the side effects.  We also use condoms about 50% of the time and he always pulls out no matter what.  Talk about BC!!  I think he will have to ease out of it little by little starting with getting rid of condoms after the wedding.  He's way more paranoid than I am.  We want to start trying to have kids after my brother's wedding next July.
  • I've been on the pill since I was 19, because my cycle was backwards - instead of a one-week period every 3 weeks, I had a 3-week period with a 1-week break.  I was getting to the point of losing too much blood and honestly large clumps of tissue, and it was getting worse very quickly so my doctor put me on the pill so I wouldn't run the risk of losing too much blood one day.  It changed my life!

Honestly, I'm worried about someday when we try to have a baby and I have to go off the pill, because I don't know what my body is going to do, and if I go back to the "reverse cycle" I don't know if I'll even be able to get pregnant :-/  There will be a lot of discussions with my doctor when we're ready for that...
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • we're doing the good old condoms. there is no way on earth I will ever go on the pill. I had to take steroids as a teenager and it messed with my hormones so badly, that I would never willingly take anything that affects my hormones directly. I've seen the effects of disbalanced hormones in my body and I'm not going back there.
    We're also about to stick with this method for a while until we feel like we're stable enough to bring in a little one. because in all honesty, we are so particular about the condom use that it doesn't worry me a bit. what's more I follow my cycle really closely and would know whether to freak out or not even if it breaks or something. well, and if it breaks after the wedding sometime... then so be it. I personally, am ready :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for posting this Michelle.  I got called in earlier to work than I expected so I wasn't able to post one.

I take Seasonique.  It's so nice not having to worry about my period every month.  We also use condoms. 
  • I've been on the pill since I was 18. I didn't get periods really in HS because of my high intensity swimming. I  made the decision to start having sex at 18 and wanted to be on the pill.

It took several years for me to find one that I'm comfortable with. I had issues with my 1 hour of crazy. I mean crazy. Crying on the floor for 0 reason. Crying when someone had a bite of my food. Not normal stuff. Eventually after trying several I found one that works well for me. I had a Dr. try to convince me to do the NuvaRing..I personally don't like the idea of it.

FI and I only use my BCP's unless I am on antibiotics. It has worked for me for all these years (though I did use condoms for the most part with my other partners). FI and I don't want babies yet, but we do want them so if it happened at this point we'd be happy and go with it. I hate condoms probably more than FI does lol.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:c6faf9c0-f8d2-4dea-b808-4e9e324e907b">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1 : The video talked about taking temperatures and tracking stuff and we're just too busy to do all of that everyday lol. We won't have kids for probably 6 years so I wouldn't trust us doing that way anyways. We won't be ready for a baby for at least 3 years
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

i guess it is easier for some to know when they are ovulating than others. this is totally TMI, but my body works like a clock in that sense. I have never needed to take a basal temp once to know when I'm ovulating (roughly. add or take a day) just based on other signs. We could probably even skip the condoms if we wanted to.  right now we're abstaining anyway, though. I never thought we would go that route, but we re really enjoying it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:f4888825-5f9e-42e6-8b84-7a0fc2f55e3a">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been on the pill since I was 15 (was put on it initially for acne control, but it also coincided with my first boyfriend.....coincidence that Mom took me to get it?!  I think not....) I am on <strong>Yaz at the moment (not the one they recalled).</strong>  FI I and I usually use condoms as well (mostly to avoid the mess), but I told him that I don't know why we even waste money on them if I'm already on the pill and we want kids eventually anyways. We will cut one out at some point.
    Posted by janeash[/QUOTE]

I'm on Yaz too but I believe it is part of the controversy.  It's not really a recall but Yasmin and Yaz (and now Beyaz I assume) may have links to blood clots.  My doctor said since I've never had issues with it and I respond well to it she felt comfortable keeping me on it but would switch if I wanted to.  After the wedding I think I will switch.  I hate that feeling in the back of my head that I may be at an increased risk of a blood clot.
    Anniversary
  • I've used Mirena for about 7 years - more to control my heavy periods rather than for bc.  You have to have it replaced every 5 years.  At both points, I was not sexually active (and hadn't been in the several months leading up to the apt.) so it was very painful while they were actually getting it in. I was cramp-y for a few hours after, but totally fine the next day.  But...for me.... the best part is that I have to pay a $50 co-pay every 5 years and that's it for BC for me!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been on the pill since Feb. FI and I are waiting I just wanted to go ahead and let my body get used to it.  I also started to have really wacky periods, I could go two months with out having one or have 2 in the same month.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:e7eff422-ad05-4caf-b98d-58109af1a938">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1 : I'm on Yaz too but I believe it is part of the controversy.  It's not really a recall but Yasmin and Yaz (and now Beyaz I assume) may have links to blood clots.  My doctor said since I've never had issues with it and I respond well to it she felt comfortable keeping me on it but would switch if I wanted to.  After the wedding I think I will switch.  I hate that feeling in the back of my head that I may be at an increased risk of a blood clot.
    Posted by jaime10285[/QUOTE]

<div>Ya my Dr. put me on it after the whole controversy started.  I have been on it for about a year now and she said the same thing - since I have no health concerns, I should be fine.  I also want to get off of it sometime soon, but didn't want to switch in case it messed up my carefully planned timing for the wedding! :) </div>

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:f047daad-d484-415c-8eff-ec00a1ec56ef">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]My reason 3.) I've read that it can also reduce a woman's desire for sex.  Don't want to do that...although FI might occasionally! LOL
    Posted by Shelly527IN[/QUOTE]

Yah, I'm living proof of this. The birthcontrol pill totally killed my sex drive and it never really came back (except when I was pregnant, lol).

It also makes me severely depressed.

So yah, hormonal bc scares the crap out of me now. SO glad I found a non-hormonal solultion!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:9e9d6e1c-fc8d-497b-b5b6-5222d046d324">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1 : i guess it is easier for some to know when they are ovulating than others. this is totally TMI, but my body works like a clock in that sense. I have never needed to take a basal temp once to know when I'm ovulating (roughly. add or take a day) just based on other signs. We could probably even skip the condoms if we wanted to.  right now we're abstaining anyway, though. I never thought we would go that route, but we re really enjoying it.
    Posted by precamies[/QUOTE]

Before I got pregnant, I used temping and quickly relized that I knew when I was ovulating by signs that I wasn't paying attention to before (cervical mucus and actually feeling when I was ovulating).

It's really neat to be that in tune with your body!
  • I'm using the Mirena IUD.

I used to be on the pill and also tried to use the theory of NFP to avoid any mishaps because even on the pill, I was irregular and still ovulated. What I mean by using the theory is we just avoided hanky panky around the time "I estimated I could possibly be ovulating if my pills didn't work correctly". I must have tried at least 6 different brands over the course of 3 years and still ended up with breakthrough bleeding, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off - every month.

It was miserable.

However, our efforts did not prevail and we were blessed to become parents to our first child. I gave the pill another shot after my doctor insisted that the reason the pill failed was not because of my crazy cycle not being controlled by it for some stupid reason (and also because I've always been low on the progesterone hormone and she said I should take it again to avoid future issues). Then, when our first was 8 months old, we found out we were expecting our second. That was a shocker especially so soon, but my gut instincts told me the doctor was wrong in the first place, and I should have just listened to them. I'm glad I didn't though, she's truly a blessing and I feel like she was meant to be born and be here with us.

After our daughter was born, I started using the Mirena.

I guess I like it. It works (been using it for 3.5 years and am baby free lol), but comes with it's side effects. I started getting ovarian cysts, which aren't dangerous unless they grow to an unmanageable size - but they are extremely uncomfortable when they burst. For a while there, I had one erupting every ovulation. Blech. BUT after 2 years on it, I stopped having periods. Unfortunately, in the last 2 months, they've come back again. Pretty much the exact day of the month we're getting married and going to be on our honeymoon. Fingers crossed.

FI is going to get snipped before my 5 years with this IUD is up. I don't want another one in, and quite frankly, after taking pills that didn't work/having a device shoved into my uterus/giving birth naturally to 2 children, it's FI's turn to handle a couple of days of discomfort because we know we are done having children. He's totally understanding and knows he'll get the procedure done, but he still hasn't had the courage to make it to the doctor.

Why is it that women have doctors all up in their business regularly (for paps and giving birth) but men are so concerned about even talking about their testicles with their doctor. Funny.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been on the pill since I was 16.  I tried to take the shot and that did not work for me at all.  I bled and was bloated the whole time, so back to the pill I went.  FI and I don't use condoms, and I want to wait until after Christmas before we start trying.  I already have a son and he will be 7 next year and I don't want to have a bigger gap than that.
  • I have been on the pill since I was 16.  I tried to take the shot and that did not work for me at all.  I bled and was bloated the whole time, so back to the pill I went.  FI and I don't use condoms, and I want to wait until after Christmas before we start trying.  I already have a son and he will be 7 next year and I don't want to have a bigger gap than that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tmi-tuesday-51?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:933fce4e-da29-460b-a898-c584cc6c36fbPost:c6460a56-b2f5-40b6-a83a-3ad8d818e038">Re: TMI Tuesday - 5/1</a>:
    [QUOTE]No birth control for me.... FI and I dont believe in it (and we will be waiting to have sex until we are married)..... I have been on it in the past but wont be in the future. We will be doing natural family planning.
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I came off the pill, and currently just use condoms, I have friends that have tried to get pregnant after marrying and can't for months / years many of there doctors blame it on being on the pill for 10+ years, so I came off! Some of the natural family planning we learned about through our marriage class with our church seem great, so looking to switch to this very soon! EK! Don't want a HM baby really, especially since I have FSIL wedding in Mexico in December, but we are only given what we can handle :)
    image 220 Are ready to party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards