Not Engaged Yet

Think I'm ready to be a Big Sister

Been thinking about this for years now, but I've finally decided to get off my butt and start volunteering as a mentor through Big Brothers Big Sisters in my area- filled out all the paperwork today.

I figure since I'm aiming for a high school teaching career, it might be a good idea to get some extra experience working with kids and youth outside of the work I do at the University. Plus, my sister (real, biological one) has been a part of the organization since January and loves it.

My only reservations would be my health and my schedule once September rolls around, but those are both things I'm pretty sure I can tackle.

Has anyone been involved in something like this? Any thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Think I'm ready to be a Big Sister

• I've always wanted to be a Big Sister.  My main deterent is that you have to dedicate a whole year to the program.  As my location is not entirely permanent, I feel like I'd be doing a disservice to the Little Sister if I had to up and move, ya know?

I've been thinking about volunteering for the local HIV awareness chapter though.  We're in the 3rd most prevalent city in our state, and frankly, we need to get the word out.  Just because there are some drugs that "work" for some patients doesn't mean you shouldn't wear condoms.  The scariest part is that a lot of people don't get this.  They think that because Magic Johnson is still alive, that HIV isn't life threatening anymore.

Congrats on becoming a Big Sister!!  I vote you take her (can you get a Little Brother? or him) to pottery painting.  It's kinda pricey but it's totally worth it :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • That's awesome! And a great idea. Good luck.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards