Wedding Etiquette Forum

Reception Speech

My best friend is getting married and I am one of her bridesmaids. We are childhood friends and I would love to give a speech at the reception but I am not her maid of honor, her sister is, as of course she should be. But I wasn't sure if it is ok to give a speech or should that only be for the maid of honor? Thanks for the help!!

Re: Reception Speech

• Only if she asks you to give one.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• That's weird, I've had people telling me that I shouldn't ask other people to give speeches, I should wait for them to offer. O.o
  • Do you know if anyone's giving a speech at the RD? One of my BMs surprised me by giving a speech then. I'm glad she didn't do it at the wedding (we already had BM, MOH and my dad doing toasts, it would have been overkill), but I'm also really glad that she said what she did, and in our case the RD was pretty unstructured and intimate, so it worked.
  • Ditto with the RD. We've had a few people ask if they can make speeches at the wedding and we let them know that we would love for them to make a speech at the RD. My sister did this and it worked out great!

• edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reception-speech?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:36f41c9e-dc2a-432c-bf6c-fa9d7ed0e3abPost:662fab24-90be-4c93-8ff5-c382849f6e47">Re: Reception Speech</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's weird, I've had people telling me that I shouldn't ask other people to give speeches, I should wait for them to offer. O.o
    Posted by damaless[/QUOTE]

I agree with this advice.  I would never ask someone to make a speech/toast in my honor.

ETA:  it's your best friend.  I don't see the harm in asking her.  She could always politely decline if she doesn't want one. 
  • I would ask her if you could give a speech at the RD. Chances are at the wedding the BM, MOH, and brides father will each be giving a speech and they might not want to add another speech at the reception.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • I don't see anything wrong with offering to say a few words at the reception.  I would be honored if a friend of mine wanted to say some things from her heart to us. But I would check with her first - grabbing the mic from the DJ is a no no
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • only if you are asked!

I told the band leader not to give anyone the mike if they had been drinking
  • I understand the thought behind it, but it does seem weird to me to wait until the bride asks. I don't think I asked my moh or Dh his bm to make a speech. That just seems kind of akward to me. Like, "Hey, can you speak at the wedding about how great I am?"
    Maybe just mention to her how much it means to be a part of the wedding and how you would like to say some words, either at the RD or the wedding. Then let her take it from there.
  • Thank you so much for all of the advice! I think I will say a few words at the RD because there already will be a lot of people speaking at the wedding reception. 
  • I know at several weddings I've attended, if they were on schedule they would open the mic up to anyone who wanted to say something to the couple.  You can ask her if she is doing this and you can speak then, if not then I agree with speaking at the RD instead.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Blake William due May 30, 2012!! BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards