Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?

So he was trying to be super nice & surprise me with an early Christmas present... but he put it on a table where my GREAT DANE can reach it.  On a positive note, it takes more than a handful of coffee beans and an entire bar of Godiva extra dark chocolate to kill a dog that weighs 115 pounds.

He was upset because he really wanted to surprise me- well, honestly he DID surprise me... you shoulda seen my shocked face when I opened the door to that mess!

Re: Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?

• Options
    Oh sweet mother.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like to keep my dog alive Smile
  • Options
    Hahaha, that wasn't all of it either.  I don't have a panoramic lens on my cel phone!
  • Options
    I feel ya... today I came home to find that our dog and kitten decided it was a good idea to toilet paper the house. And shred a roll of wrapping paper. Glad your dog didn't get sick, that could have been a lot worse.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with Bree. I hope your FI learns soon where he can and can't put things that your very tall dog can get to.
  • Options
    Yeah, she ate wrapping paper last week but she's so big it didn't block her up or anything.  I have talked to FI about putting things out of reach but he kind of forgets that just because she can't reach it while standing on all 4's, she can almost reach the top of the fridge when she stands on her back legs.

Bree-thanks for pointing out that I forgot my sarcasm font.  I obviously wouldn't strangle the dog, or hurt her in any other way.  I didn't even discipline her since I didn't catch her in the act.  I rescue dogs so this is not even close to the worst thing that has happened in my house.  I was more worried about the chocolate & caffeine than anything else.
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Speaking of keeping dogs alive, Ozzie and I had a really good appointment with the vet today. It made me feel a lot better about fixing his paw problem.
  • Options
    I did give you the benefit of the doubt on the strangling the dog thing, considering you don't frequent CC.... or at least that I know of.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-ever-want-strangle-dog-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e65048e-81a4-4f02-85af-02aa885d64b5Post:a92b787f-f272-4ec8-8fd8-75ce4ab390fc">Re: Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How much coffee and/or chocolate does it take to kill a Great Dane?  Because my vet told me that any amount of coffee can be toxic to my pit bull.  I'm wondering if there's some sort of breed-by-breed cheat sheet.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

To answer your question (and pardon my siggy-I will probably change it in a few days when I get bored...)
    There is a chart that they use based on weight and how many grams of whatever it is that is toxic in the choclate.  It's like 150g per kg of body weight or something.  I called the emergency clinic and they looked at a chart and said unless she displays symptoms she is probably ok.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-ever-want-strangle-dog-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e65048e-81a4-4f02-85af-02aa885d64b5Post:7e1db082-4e39-46ec-82d8-429702cfb8ef">Re: Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did give you the benefit of the doubt on the strangling the dog thing, considering you don't frequent CC.... or at least that I know of.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

Hahahaa, thanks- the worst they get is a squirt from a spray bottle of water... I'm SOOOO MEAN!

How is the itchy-paw-saga?
  • Options
    This reminds me of when a friend of a friend made pot brownies and her pup got to them. She had to reluctantly call the vet and admit what happened. They were all "Uhhh we're not worried about the pot, but we're worried about the chocolate. "
  • Options
    We'll see what happens in the next two weeks. He's being put on a couple different medicines to see if they help. I'm glad we at least have a plan now. We're still hoping it's seasonal allergies, but the vet has a plan on what to do if this doesn't work.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-ever-want-strangle-dog-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e65048e-81a4-4f02-85af-02aa885d64b5Post:a92b787f-f272-4ec8-8fd8-75ce4ab390fc">Re: Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How much coffee and/or chocolate does it take to kill a Great Dane?  Because my vet told me that any amount of coffee can be toxic to my pit bull.  I'm wondering if there's some sort of breed-by-breed cheat sheet.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Last Christmas one of FI's family members gave Copper (6 pd pomeranian) some chocolate. We're talking like a chocolate chip. I called the vet and they said that amount wouldn't do anything. I bet they have a size/weight chart rather than a breed by breed.</div>
  • Options
    Birdie- I hope it is just seasonal but it is great that the vet has a plan just in case :)
  • Options
    I am going to be needing to see this doggy. Thanks.
  • Options
    Lol this reminds me of the time our old dog not only ate a bag of chips I left on the coffee table that was new (ran in, left them and had to go get something else) but he also ate through one of those frito cheese dips with the aluminium casings....cheese was everywhere!

Our newest pup is teething on the iron coffee table right now...
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The one on the left is my Holy Terror... the one on the right is as laid back as he looks in this picture.  They are both ruled by a 32lb fuzzy mutt who will NOT let them push her around. 

Oh, and Duds- that monkey almost made it like 3 days... a record in our house.  Sorry about the giraffe.  Isn't it amazing how much stuffing they can get into those things?!?!?!
  • Options
    Berkeley has eaten a chocolate truffle before.  She ran around like a kid on coke for an hour.  That stuff is like speed to dogs.  Hilarious but scary.  She lived but not before knocking everything in my living room over because she was over-stimulated.

But to your original question: my dog, never, my H, often.  ;)
  • Options
    I've been quite proud of Max with the Christmas tree. He hasn't messed with it at all.  He has, however, had his share of counter antics, when I swear he was growing an inch a day. When he chewed up my birthday roses, we bought a kennel. We were all happier.

H has pushed a couple of buttons here and there (I think he's talked to my brother a little too much). But he's about to realize what it's like when I'm not around for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm betting it will be a surprise for both of us.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    My dod ate a whole bag of my candy last Christmas. :-( There was a little chocolate but not enough to hurt him; I just lost my candy :-( my fault for leaving it where he could reach it, but sometimes I wanna strangle him 'cause he barks a lot when he's bored or something.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm glad to see that Mica & Missy got my message... sometimes I'd rather strangle FI for leaving things where she can get to them.  I didn't even fuss at her (well, I gave her a mean face) but it really wasn't her fault.

Shadow- try using a squirt bottle when he's barking and it might deter him just enough to learn that barking is not an acceptable behavior.  I've had great luck with a squirt bottle!!
  • Options
    A few years ago, my 15 lb dachshund ate an entire bag of Hershey's kisses.  So 25-30 kisses?  And she was totally fine.  Wired all night long--and I was up all night watching her--but fine. 
  • Options
    Pink poo!  Now that's something I haven't seen! 
  • Options
    HAH!  For Valentine's Day this year, I want pink poo... except that the Dane doodie piles are so big you can practically see them from space.  <awkward>
  • Options
    Chocolate toxicity is due to theobromine: milk chocolate has less theobromine than dark chocolate and poisoning is based on weight. It is b/c their body don't digest it well and over time if it doesn't completely digest it can build up to potentially fatal levels. While this is an accident I would still be careful in the future, which I am sure you are. He might get the poops but yea. 

As a side note Onions are toxic to dogs as well. I got made at FI for feeding Tucker leftover chinese food this weekend since he got really sick over it. 

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We like the "Tuff" brand toys for our dog.  They do not last forever, but they last longer than a day or two before they are fully skinned.....aka all of the stuffing pulled out!  Silly Golden!
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I come home to something like this, I know it's the stupid humans' faults for putting it within reach (like forgetting to put the trash up).  So I've never wanted to strangle my dog, just myself for forgetting!!

I knew a dog that did die from chocolate.  It was a bag of something and he was a Cocker Spaniel.  He died at the hospital.  I wonder how these other dog (the smaller ones) made it through OK.
  • Options
    My 11 pound terrier mix ate some runaway M&M's from my kids' cookies earlier today and I tried to give them this lecture about chocolate not being good for dogs and they just couldn't comprehend how chocolate WAS NOT GOOD. 

I'm glad your doggie's okay, but I can't help but mourn the loss of coffee and chocolate!
  • Options
    For those looking for great big dog toys, check out the equine section of your pet store.  We used to get our dogs "Jolly Balls" (no kidding that's what they're called) but in the biggest dog size they have.  They were still small enough that the dogs could get a good grip on them and a tooth in them and they were shredded shortly after.  They make Jolly Balls for horses and they're huge!  They still have a handle that the dog can use to retrieve with, but they're too big for them to get their mouth around.  We don't leave these down for the dogs to play with unsupervised but they are great for playing fetch with. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_did-ever-want-strangle-dog-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6e65048e-81a4-4f02-85af-02aa885d64b5Post:39c3b572-bd8e-4ea5-855c-5aa3201001cc">Re: Did you ever want to strangle your dog... or your FI?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would never strangle my dog (I knew you were kidding, btw), but man I have gotten REALLY mad. Moose is awesome but sometimes he's just, well, a brat. His vet knows him as the "paintball pomeranian" because he got the bright idea to eat a handful of bright pink paintballs when we were in college. Thankfully they weren't toxic, but he had lots of bright pink poo stains all over the yard for a week. Also, Moose is in this new kick now where whenever we let him outside, he'll go do his business, la dee da. But when he's ready to come back in? He LUNGES at the door with all his weight and barks like he's the most inconvenienced dog in the world. And the longer we wait to let him in, the angrier he gets. When did he become in charge? Who am I kidding, he rules the house.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

Awww Racher's he's ADORABLE!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards