June 2012 Weddings

Tell me about your dress...

...in this sense:

So I'm watching "Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta" and their episode today revolves around a couple brides who have wedding related "curses" in their family. The one girl is looking to buy a wedding gown because she refuses to wear the family's tradtional gown--every family member that has worn the gown has gotten divorced except the original wearer. Another girl is the first in her family to get married...the "curse" is supposedly a slew of failed relationships.

So this got me thinking two things: 1) Of all the dress posts I've seen on TK, I don't think I've seen one girl (myself included) who is wearing her mother's gown. Why?? 2) Does anyone have a family wedding related "curse" they want to share?

I am NOT wearing my mother's gown and for reasons similiar to the girl on SYTTD. We (myself, sisters and female cousins) think it's cursed. It was my grandmother's, then my aunt wore it, and then my mom....they are all DIVORCED. Common denominator=the dress. (Oh and we've also decided that the month of October and the family church are cursed as well...yep...all 3 women wore the dress, in October and got married in the family church)

So tell me your stories :)

Re: Tell me about your dress...

• My parents got married in December, 1985...not my style! However, I'm proud of my mom for still being able to wear her dress (she puts it on every anniversary), and a couple years ago, my sisters and I tried it on for fun! Here's a pic of me wearing it:

• Kipnus- FUN!!! I feel like I should try my mom's dress on now....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No curses surrounding my mom's dress.  Considering my folks have been together for 35 years, it might actually be good luck!  Right after I got engaged I tried my mom's wedding dress - it's in perfect condition.  It's beautiful.  But it's from 1975... :)  Now her cathedral length veil with lace trim is also in perfect condition and once we confirm if it matches the lace on my dress (fingers crossed!!), I might wear that.
    Anniversary
  • My mom's dress is too big for me. My little sister tried it on though and it looks gorgeous on her. She wants to wear it for her wedding (eventually), so at least one of my mom's daughter's will wear her dress! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Mom's dress is gorgeous. I always thought i'd wear it. My sister didn't. She wanted something victorian and my Mom's is elegant and sophisticated -- very Jackie O. ballgown. (She got married in the early 60's). But she got married in January, and her dress is a heavy ivory/champagne satin with brocade beading. I'm getting married in June with an outdoors ceremony (hopefully) and it just felt too formal (and heavy), and when I tried it on, I realized I didn't really want a dress that poufed out at the waist. I would have had to remake the bodice anyway to fit me, using material from the train (which she'd already chopped off long ago), and so before I had the seamstress start working on it, I decided to try on a few dresses to see how I felt. I was pretty torn cause i LOVED the idea of wearing her dress. I'm very close with my Mom and my parents had an amazing, beautiful marriage. In this case I felt her dress was sort of blessed rather than cursed. But it just didn't feel like me, and it didn't make me look the way I wanted to look. The dress I bought is nowhere near as fine, but it's me. Someone will yet wear my mother's dress...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tell-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:eea9f04e-d297-4047-ae88-bf34b68516e0Post:a4bfbe9f-65e5-4f00-8806-024b9afe2846">Re: Tell me about your dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Mom's dress is gorgeous. I always thought i'd wear it. My sister didn't. She wanted something victorian and my Mom's is elegant and sophisticated -- very Jackie O. ballgown. (She got married in the early 60's). But she got married in January, and her dress is a heavy ivory/champagne satin with brocade beading. I'm getting married in June with an outdoors ceremony (hopefully) and it just felt too formal (and heavy), and when I tried it on, I realized I didn't really want a dress that poufed out at the waist. I would have had to remake the bodice anyway to fit me, using material from the train (which she'd already chopped off long ago), and so before I had the seamstress start working on it, I decided to try on a few dresses to see how I felt. I was pretty torn cause i LOVED the idea of wearing her dress. I'm very close with my Mom and my parents had an amazing, beautiful marriage. In this case I felt her dress was sort of blessed rather than cursed. But it just didn't feel like me, and it didn't make me look the way I wanted to look. The dress I bought is nowhere near as fine, but it's me. Someone will yet wear my mother's dress...
    Posted by mkgins[/QUOTE]

You should do bridal portraits in it and display them at the wedding- that would be AWESOME!!! Do you have  picture? I'd love to see it :)
  • Lovely idea-- I do have pics of me in the dress. It's a bit wrinkled, and it really needs a crinoline under to pouf it out the way it's meant to be, but you get the 
    picture. Somehow it also made me feel short....

• Very pretty!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_tell-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:eea9f04e-d297-4047-ae88-bf34b68516e0Post:c3455159-7010-4527-8786-c705cad1dab4">Re: Tell me about your dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents got married in December, 1985...not my style! However, I'm proud of my mom for still being able to wear her dress (she puts it on every anniversary), and a couple years ago, my sisters and I tried it on for fun! Here's a pic of me wearing it:
    Posted by kipnus[/QUOTE]

Oooo thanks for the pic! It is very pretty. I've never tried my mom's on because it was packaged to be preserved...she'll only break it out if I'm actually going to wear it...which I understand. :)
  • mkgins...thank you for the pic as well. The dress is very elegant. :)
  • No curses in my family either.

My mom's dress was long sleeved and would need so much alteration that the design would just be lost. (My mom's a lot bigger than I am, which admittedly does not take much.)

I tried on my Grandma's dress because she wanted me to. She never expected me to wear it for my wedding. Her's is long sleeve too, but with lace. Believe it or not, the zipper would not go up all the way. She was smaller than me when they got married.
  • I'm not wearing my mom's dress because its really not my style and theres no way I would fit in it.  It had long sleeves that were sheer and slightly poufy/flowy.  The neckline went up high like a mock turtle height, with a band for a collar.   And she weighed 90lbs at the time.... no one in my family would fit in that now.
    I considered wearing her veil but its attached to a 3in wide headband.... it would take a lot of rework.  She wasn't upset about it.  She enjoyed shopping for mine with me.
    Anniversary
  • aww Jess! Thanks for sharing!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards