Chit Chat

my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today

I was talking to my fiance about the wedding (which he usually rolls his eyes about because "it's forever away" in his words-but less than a year now) and reception.  I was telling him different ideas about having alcohol at the wedding and how expensive an open bar is and blah blah blah.  He says "isn't that why you have a jar for donations before they come in?"  I couldn't help but giggle.  We've been to weddings before and have NEVER seen this.  He said he saw it on tv.  I told him that if guests want to give us  money, they will put it in a card:)  Does anyone else have clueless grooms?
FYI- NO donations jars for us at our wedding! haha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today

• edited April 2012
    I have never seen a donation jar at a wedding, be it near the bar or otherwise. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • He said it was on MTV true life and is looking for the youtube video to prove it! haha.  I just thought it was cute.
  • We are getting married in August (4 months away) and he told me when we got engaged that I didn't need to buy my wedding dress until like June....(like 2 months before the wedding).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI wanted me to have a greenback or HM registry for my bridal shower and says I will regret my shower down the road due to us having a small apartment and we may not have room for stuff.  I told him I put upgrades on it and that my mom wanted to do something special for me and he said my mom's money could have gone to a better use like sending us on a honeymoon and that we may not have a honeymoon due to finances.
  • LOL, mine is completely in the dark about how march stuff costs.  I told him how much it cost to have the alterations on my dress done and he just looked at me and asked, "well isn't that included in the initial cost of the dress?" Um, in a word, NO.  The other day I was talking to him aobut the cost of food and how much money we needed to have set aside for that and his eyes got huge.  Well honey if you take the cost per plate times how many guest you get a total.  Can you say hello blond moment.  We have discussed the budget repeatedly but he just can't wrap his head around how much stuff costs.  Silly Boy!!
    Junebride12
  • Oh and he didn't see what was wrong with having our reception be a pot-luck.  Once again NO!!!!
    Junebride12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:1ec021ad-b9c9-4d95-b90e-9016fec4ba1f">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI wanted me to have a greenback or HM registry for my bridal shower and says I will regret my shower down the road due to us having a small apartment and we may not have room for stuff.  I told him I put upgrades on it and that my mom wanted to do something special for me and he said my mom's money could have gone to a better use like sending us on a honeymoon and that we may not have a honeymoon due to finances.
    Posted by amhill87[/QUOTE]
    This sounds like my fiance.  We currently rent and don't have a ton of space, so we aren't really asking for a lot of stuff.  He doesn't get why we cant' just have a honeymoon registry instead.  It's all I can do to keep him from putting an XBOX on the registry!
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • My FI is all kinds of clueless too.

We had this weird argument where he started arguing that he didn't know why it was required for us to even have a reception.  I went crazy on him until he came to his senses.  The argument wasn't over having a really simple reception...if that's what he wanted I would totally do it.  But he didn't get why proper etiquette requires you to host your guests at a reception after the ceremony.

We also had a real come-to-Jesus kind of talk the other day about the budget.  He knew the wedding was going to be very expensive... but he just wasn't really running the numbers in his head (we haven't started booking anything--still working on the budget and looking at venues).  Whenever I started adding things up and adding the unexpected thing like tax and gratuity, he was astonished.  He also had no idea how expensive an open bar would be.  (Note--I'm not forcing all this on him.  We both talked about it and agreed to scale back on some things).

The other day he asked me if we could just invite people to the ceremony and not reception.  At first, I thought he was saying to take our current guest list and tier it to where only some got to come to the reception (obviously an awful idea). Then I realized he was actually making a joke about inviting random strangers into the church on the day of our wedding so that our big church wouldn't look so empty in photos.

SaveSave
  • molly&dalemolly&dale member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Is he thinking of a bartender's tip jar? I have seen that. My groom's not totally clueless, but he's a terrible procrastinator. I feel like we have a million things to do with less than three months, and he is not concerned at all!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:cd26e434-a05f-4882-92ce-d8ff32d21690">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]He said it was on MTV true life and is looking for the youtube video to prove it! haha.  I just thought it was cute.
    Posted by jesslynn1012[/QUOTE]
    Well, if it was on Mtv's True Life then it MUST have been a good idea. That station always features classy weddings. :)

Luckily I don't have to deal with wedding planning, yet, but I can't <em>wait</em> to see what my bf comes up with. Oy.
  • Hey, at least your FIs have ideas.. mine just says "doesn't matter to me" and "whatever you want!" all the time! Haha. I mean, I get that a majority of grooms don't care THAT much about the details, but a little help would be nice!

Anyways, about that tip jar - my mom actually had a genius idea. My venue only had the option of bringing in our own alcohol until recently. My mom suggested that we could charge for the drinks to make that money back. Now, I'm ok with cash bars (*backs away from flames*), but this is all sorts of wrong!!! Haha. I get where she was coming from but.... no!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:f737e836-e8e5-4600-a5b7-0d5a3ab047c6">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, a<strong>t least your FIs have ideas.. mine just says "doesn't matter to me" and "whatever you want!" all the time! Haha. I mean, I get that a majority of grooms don't care THAT much about the details, but a little help would be nice!</strong> Anyways, about that tip jar - my mom actually had a genius idea. My venue only had the option of bringing in our own alcohol until recently. My mom suggested that we could charge for the drinks to make that money back. Now, I'm ok with cash bars (*backs away from flames*), but this is all sorts of wrong!!! Haha. I get where she was coming from but.... no!
    Posted by jennipea382[/QUOTE]

This is how mine is lol...and when i suggest shopping for some thing i get "cant you just have you sister go with you?" urrgh! so frustrating! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI asked "if a bunch of people RSVP no can we invite more people", Um NO, Then I saw what we had discussed getting as groomsmens gifts on sale and bought them, when I brought them home and showed FI he asked "do we all get one?" I had to explain why he isn't giving himself a gift to thank himself for being in the wedding. He is also clueless to the cost. He was shocked when I explained the consumption bar to him. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 95image Invited 66image Ready to party 21image Declined
  • My FI had no clue of how expensive food would be and when i told him possible PRices he decided he wanted to COOK the food himself and according to him spend 1000 dollars for food for 115 people...its cute but sometimes im like uuuummm NOoooo

• My FI tends to be a little clueless to. He tends to not start things or take the initative to look at stuff. But he honestly wants to help, so I count myself lucky.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI has watched a lot of TLC wedding programs, but seems pretty clueless about actual weddings. ESPECIALLY the cost. We've had to have a lot of talks about that, haha. He was under the impression that a DJ is, like, 50 bucks and we could book a reception (drinks, food, and all) for about a grand for over 100 people. UM? No.

He's learning though and is really involved, so I'll give him credit. =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:ed7754f9-ccb8-4a0b-b536-dd06f7db8632">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Is he thinking of a bartender's tip jar?</strong> I have seen that. My groom's not totally clueless, but he's a terrible procrastinator. I feel like we have a million things to do with less than three months, and he is not concerned at all!
    Posted by molly&dale[/QUOTE]

No, he actually said "Like, for donations and stuff because weddings are so expensive"..."maybe at the door when they walk in"... OMG... these thoughts were really running through his head.  I said "you can't charge your guests admission to your wedding"...

I knew I couldn't be the only bride with silly/clueless grooms.  All your grooms are making me smile:)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:f737e836-e8e5-4600-a5b7-0d5a3ab047c6">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, at least your FIs have ideas.. mine just says "doesn't matter to me" and "whatever you want!" all the time! Haha. I mean, I get that a majority of grooms don't care THAT much about the details, but a little help would be nice! Anyways, about that tip jar - my mom actually had a genius idea. My venue only had the option of bringing in our own alcohol until recently. <strong>My mom suggested that we could charge for the drinks to make that money back. Now, I'm ok with cash bars (*backs away from flames*), but this is all sorts of wrong!!! Haha. I get where she was coming from but.... no!</strong>
    Posted by jennipea382[/QUOTE]

Haha!  Does your mom know my mom?  My mom suggested getting a sponsor, like pepsi, to pay for our wedding... like having blue, red, and white and pepsi signs and logos everywhere... I know it was a joke, but NO!  haha
  • FI thought it was normal to do a kissing jar.. where people pay to see you kiss. I said no, we're not prostituting ourselves out, even if we're kissing each other.

Oh FI :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_my-fi-wedding-ideas-made-me-giggle-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:75db263e-e988-489c-836e-0e90a5e73c71Post:ed7754f9-ccb8-4a0b-b536-dd06f7db8632">Re: my FI wedding ideas made me giggle today</a>:
    [QUOTE]My groom's not totally clueless, but he's a terrible procrastinator. I feel like we have a million things to do with less than three months, and he is not concerned at all!
    Posted by molly&dale[/QUOTE]

Oh god, mine too!  He's spent the whole planning process glued to the word "already": "Why do we have to know how many corsage we need already?" "Why do we need to look at tuxes already?" "Why do you need the guest list done already?"

He also has started totally boggling my mind by echoing my complaint: "God, there are so many DETAILS! So many THINGS!" ... Except that I'M the one doing all of those things!  He's not doing ANYTHING with said details, so he has no reason to complain!  I just stare at him, roll my eyes and say "Yeah, I know, I'M the one dealing with them all!"

Boys... :) *eyeroll*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah mine does the "Whatever you want" or "It's up to you"..Gah! He's a wonderful man but definetly a little clueless when it comes to wedding planning! "What do you need that for".."why do you have to tip such and such".. lol..Clueless fiances! And they wonder why we get stressed!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have seen tip jars on bars for the bar tenders...maybe thats what he thought that was.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards