Catholic Weddings

Rite of Election

I'm currently going through RCIA and I just received an email from the priest letting me know the date for Rite of Election - something I need to attend as I'm converting from a non-Christian religion. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever attended a Rite of Election...just curious as to what happens there and everything.

(I'm sure the priest will mention it in class next week, but I thought I'd look for some first hand experiences)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Rite of Election

• edited December 2011
    From what I remember of it when I went through it, your name is read, and you then write your name in "the Book of the Elect."  It should take place on the first Sunday of Lent.  Think of it as the official announcement that you intend to join the Church at the Easter Vigil.  It was neat, but it's not a huge deal and nothing to be nervous about.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP. You will be called up to the altar and they will ask you in a fancy way if you intend on joining the Church, then you write your name in the book. Totally nothing to be nervous about. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yep.  That's pretty much it.  Congrats.  You are well on your way to officially becoming Catholic!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto! Don't freak about it. It is a nice ceremony where many of the catecumens are and you put your name in the official book. Congrats on becoming Catholic. I just went through it last year.
  • edited December 2011
    That's basically how I remember it!  Just another step along the way to becoming Catholic :)  Although, at that point, I considered myself a mini-Catholic haha.  Congrats on joining the Church, btw!!
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • lburkey21lburkey21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies. I'm very excited about going through this whole process and becoming Catholic.

meltoine - i LOVE your RD dress...where did you get it?!!?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• edited December 2011
    Thank you thank you for posting this question.
    I'm in the same boat you are. I've missed the first two classes already because I was on vacation, and the calendar my sponsor gave me had all these dates of things I'm supposed to attend.
    This clarified it!

I'm so excited to be done!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards