Ohio-Columbus

New to the boards...Florists and Cakes Help!

Hi! I am new to posting on the boards...while I always look at them!

My wedding is June 18, 2011.  I have the church, reception venue, photographer, videographer, and band booked. I also bought my dress.  I haven't been able to find a bridesmaid dress yet...but I really want to book my florist.  I am leaning towards either champagne or a pinkish-purple color for the BM dresses.

Flowers are really important to me, and I have a specific vision--peonies.  Do you think it is ok if I start looking for a florist?  I was planning on looking at Manor House, Flowers on Orchard Lane, and any other suggestions?  I have friends that used both.

Regarding cake, I have an appointment with Anita Kline next week.  The only other cheap place I have found is A Piece of Cake in the short north.  If you have tried both, which do you think is better for the price/taste?

Thanks!

Re: New to the boards...Florists and Cakes Help!

• edited December 2011
    I posted a response about florists and cakes two posts down from this one.  If you're on a budget, definitely check out Flowers on Springtree Lane.  They're SO wonderful and the personalized service/attention makes them one of my favorite vendors.  :)  

As for cakes, I can't remember if I tried A piece of cake, but if it helps, I've never once ever seen an even remotely negative review of Anita and her cakes.  I don't think you'll be disappointed in her cakes or her prices.  ;)  Be sure to check out her binders of photos!  Her work with buttercream frosting is great!  It looks like fondant!

Best of luck!  I rave about these two areas of my wedding planning regularly because they've both bent over backwards for us and our wedding, despite countless changes to our budget and unusual requests.
  • Freckles27Freckles27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flowers on Orchard Lane LOVE peonies, as do I.  They will work with you with whatever you want which is wonderful!
  • edited December 2011
    You will LOVE Anita Kline and her cakes!!!  If for some reason you choose to go elsewhere my future sister-in-law who is also getting married this summer is using Short North Piece of Cake and she seemed to really like them as well.

As for florists, just make sure that the one you choose doesn't have a minimum you won't meet.  I believe that FOOL has a $1,000 minimum.  I'm using Bloomtastic and their prices were some of the most reasonable around.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can start looking for any of your vendors.  I'm getting married 6/19/2010 and had almost everything booked by the end of May.  I worried about picking things too early and changing my mind, but that hasn't happened at all (knock on wood).  We are using Flowers on Orchard Lane and Anita Kline for flowers and cake.  I had good recommendations for both of them and felt good after meeting with them, price was right etc. so we booked them on the spot.  I actually didn't even look at other floral or cake vendors.  I think as long as you know other people have had good experiences with a vendor, and you have a good feeling after meeting the vendor, you can just go with your gut.  It made wedding planning much easier and less stressful for me.  GL with planning!
  • BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Manor House Flowers for flowers.  It's been great so far.  I was never  told about a minimum total price, so I don't think Mandy has one.  I am not getting peonies (although I LOVE them), so I can't give you any feedback on that. Mandy sent me a word doc with starting prices, I posted it in a Florist post from a few days ago, or I can email it to you if you would like.  It is for 2010 prices, but if you book here this year, I would guess she would honor those prices?  She seems to be getting more popular, so her prices might go up next year.

For cake, we are using Short North Piece of Cake.  Because of all the great reviews, I did call Anita Kline, but she was already booked. :(  We have a somewhat short engagement, engaged at Christmas, wedding in early August, so some really popular vendors were already taken.  I am really happy with Piece of Cake.  Their cake is really yummy, better than a lot of more expensive places that I tasted at bridal shows.  They do not charge a delivery fee and you are not up-charged for different fillings/cake flavors.  A lot of places listed minimum prices, but then that was only for basic fillings and flavors, so I like having the option of more choices.  When you book you pay a $100 deposit for the cake stand, but when it is returned you get that money back. 

Good luck with your decisions, definitely check out Anita Kline, but if she is not available, I think Short North Piece of Cake is a great alternative! 
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and hopefully we can be of help to you! I don't think it's too early to look for vendors at all. Our wedding is May 8, 2010 and I found that many vendors were nearly booked as of July. 

We're also using Anita Kline for our cake and FOOL for our flowers. After hearing so many great reviews about her, we looked only at her and I knew we needed to book her when my fiance couldn't stop eating all of the flavor samples she made for us! Although I have had Piece of Cake in the past and thought they were good, Anita will do basically any type of decoration you want while others such as POC charge extra for the same designs.

I looked at FOOL first, then looked at 2 other places before deciding that Jan was going to give us the best value for our money, and her ideas were fabulous. She does have a minimum, but if you are budgeted to spend $1000 or more on your flowers, she's the way to go.

Good luck in your planning and hopefully we can help!
  • edited December 2011
    Manor House and Anita Kline! I am using both!
  • emanosemanos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help!
  • edited December 2011

Piece of Cake all the way for us! We use them for regular cakes and now the wedding cake. I really haven't tasted better and the price is excellant.

• fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    anyone have Anita's email?? I called her but she never called back.... Thanks!
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emanosemanos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    abcj22@earthlink.net

She has been out of town since Saturday and won't be back until Monday. Just an FYI.
  • fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good to know. thanks!
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards