Florida-South Florida

MTV newlyweds

I'm watching this Truelife "newlyweds" episode. Has anyone seen it? One girl married a guy and had never ever been to his house. They never discussed finances (i.e. how much he/she makes to support their lifestyle verses debt). I sort of couldn't believe it? Before FI and I even got engaged, we said can we afford to be married? Did anyone else feel they wanted to start their marriage knowing EVERYTHING about their future spouse? I mean, those that do not live with their FI currently (those of us who do live with them usually have a better idea of who the person really is, lol).... Did you guys talk about finances and who would be in charge, did you spend time with FI at HIS home to see how he acts (i.e is sloppy or neat freak?) 

Wow this got long. Lol. I'm just amazed at how some people go into marriage totally blind. Surprised
DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: MTV newlyweds

• edited December 2011
    Oh oh oh an the other girl - her now husband doesn't really want her to get a PT job because that means she won't be home to do housework. OY. 
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know its crazy. I know my FI inside and out and so glad I do.
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Even Craig & I already have a joint account and have our finances down to a T. Even us! lol.
  • Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    haha....I handle all the finances...Garrett sucks at money!  Best part....I've been stashing money away for two years now....every time we had a bill due..I told him it was $2-3 higher than normal.....after two years, I banked 2K...all for either our wedding or house, whichever came first....so I was able to use that for our wedding....he has NO IDEA! 

Women rock!  We are so smart.
  • edited December 2011
    DANIELLE LMAO I love it!!!
  • Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its necessarily a BAD thing what I'm doing right?  Its not like I'm keeping the money for myself....its for US..

but part of me still feels guilty...one day I'll tell him....one day.  (keyword) hehe
  • edited December 2011
    totally stealing your idea Danielle!!! i do all the finaces too!! i love it!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ladylisaltladylisalt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Due to couples like that we have a society where there is a 60% divorce rate. Dont mean to be negative but its reality.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    before we get married, i will be taking over finaces.  FI is HORRIBLE, like i thought i was bad....i met my match! haha but FI and i have lived together for.... hahah today is 4 yrs! we've known each others finances always, we had a joint account the day we moved in with one another! I couldn't imagine not knowing....thats like the women who come into my office (i work in a financial institution) and they have no idea whats in the ir annuities, what stocks they have no idea about the life insurance policies. NOTHING. How could you not want to know? god forbid anything happen to your spouse, if you do not know the financial situation how are you suppose to know what to do? it just drives me crazzzy lol
  • avee10avee10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw that episode Tess, I was so confused because that first couple acted like they didnt even know each other.  It was so strange!

As for finances, we havent completely joined everything yet.  Only because DH has a son in college who he supports so we decided for the time being we will have one joint account for our household expenses, but we will each keep our separate accounts for our indiivual expenses such as car payments, his son, my shopping Wink, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I agree we have a joint account for our expenses and seperate account for our own stuff..like my car his cell phone whatever...we also have a joint savings ..and daniel I love the idea...ive been stashing a little bit of money away too FI knows but he doesnt know how much or where it is... LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards