Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Hey- new poster here and question?

Hello everyone! New to his posting board since we are just starting to look at cakes in particular. I have an odd question for you guys- what on earth is a "groom's cake"? I see tons of posts on them, and don't know their significance or purpose. Thanks in advance!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hey- new poster here and question?

• edited December 2011
    A groom's cake is a separate cake that is all about the groom: his favorite flavor and it usually is decorated with the groom in mind. They can be pretty elaborate, or like ours, it was just a sheet cake with his college logo on it. It used to be that weddings were truly all about the bride and the wedding cake was called the bride's cake, so a groom's cake was made in his honor. I think it's mostly a Southern tradition, but I could be wrong about that. You don't have to have one and I think most people don't. We only had one because my mom insisted on it to have carrot cake, which is completely disgusting to me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people I know have the Groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner.  Some have it at the wedding but you can end up with a ton of leftover cake that way. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of a groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner! How cute!!!
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's just a nice little extra for the groom to, traditionally speaking, have something "his way."

It's becoming increastinly popular across the US and is no longer quite as regional as it used to be.  They are even popping up in Canada. :)

We will have an enormous cake at the wedding, along with a late night cookie buffet, so an extra cake would be kind of silly there.

The rehearsal dinner has dessert already taken care of, so, again, it's unnecessary.

I've decided to have my fiance's groom's cake be a surprise at his bachelor party.  After a trip to the amusement park all day, the guys are getting together for a bit of drinking and gaming at one of their houses in the evening.  They'll have the typical pizza and such, but I know my fiance and his friends - they love cake.  I've sent off three designs to a local novelty bakery and whichever one they feel they can do the best will be the one I go with.  I'll pick it up, hand it over to the Best Man, and it'll be a treat for all the guys that night - truly making it a "groom's" cake. :)
    10-10-10
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our Groom's cake at Rehersal Dinner. It is going to be better than sex cake -his favorite!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow this is great. Thank you for all of the information on these cakes! I really had no idea. Not sure if we will do one or not- cos I think it would end up being "too much cake", but I love the idea of getting one for the rehersal or bachelor party. Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If we've got it in the budget, we might do one, but only if it's Darth Vader's head on a platter.  We'll probably serve it at the rehearsal dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards