Honeymoon Discussions

Anquilla Hotel Recs?

Hi,
We don't know too much about this island and trying to decide between three different places:  Cap Juluca, Viceroy, and Frangipani.  Any thoughts?  Also, thoughts on needing to rent a car to travel to the island's restaurants?
Thanks!

Re: Anquilla Hotel Recs?

• My fiance and I were just in Anguilla over Thanksgiving.  We took a day trip there from St. Maarten.  The beach is amazing, the best we've ever been to (and we're avid travelers).  I would reccomend a car because there are a number of different beaches in Anguilla that you may want to check out and grabbing a cab each time could get expensive.  In St. Maarten the maps were bad and the roads weren't well marked with names.  Once we got used to it, we didn't have a problem.  But if you rent a car, make sure your first drive to your hotel will be in the daylight. 

I'm not familiar with the hotels because we didn't stay the night.  Shoal Bay was where we went and there were a number of beachside restaurants, bars, and and a few hotels. It's voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world.  If you want something more private though, that may not be the place to stay.

Look into visiting other islands, afterall Anguilla is small and the ferries aren't too expensive (but don't forget your passport).

Finally, a word of caution: We found that many of these islands are driven by cruise ship schedules.  Most of the restaurants and shops are only open when the ships are docked.  Depending on the time of year, that may only be twice a week.  Be sure if you want to shop or dine outside of your hotel that you check with your hotel concierge first.  This may not be as true in Anguilla as it was in St. Maarten, but check it out. We were a bit disapointed with the night life and shopping, but the beaches are just unbelievable.

Sorry that is probably way more than you wanted to know! But I hope it helps!
  • My fiance and I are staying at the Viceroy Anguilla in August and are super excited.  It is brand new and all the reviews we found online were VERY positive.  They are also very expensive, but they have a good deal right now.

Hope that helps some!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards