Wedding Reception Forum

DJ - Do not play list

Did you give your DJ a do not play list?  If so, what did it list?

Re: DJ - Do not play list

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-do-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:325bf766-3f51-482e-96fa-65edbfeb1355Post:e4f6f198-beb3-4081-a74c-e3b5a4c4c6af">DJ - Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you give your DJ a do not play list?  If so, what did it list?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

Any type of line dancing ie- Chicken dance, Cotton Eyed Joe, Electric Slide etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-do-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:325bf766-3f51-482e-96fa-65edbfeb1355Post:e4f6f198-beb3-4081-a74c-e3b5a4c4c6af">DJ - Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you give your DJ a do not play list?  If so, what did it list?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

We DJ on the side and we usually ASK for a do not play list.  There are always songs the couple hates just because of personal preference or experience. 

The norms include what hoboken said above, plus the macarena, any new dance songs (harlem shake, the dougie, the bernie).  One bride banned playing "red solo cup" (which I was so on board with, I hate that song).  It is just your preference.  Give your dj a detailed list of what you like and what you don't, it's their job and they can do it better the more specific you are.  (Don't make a 5 hour playlist, a lot of brides do this too and we try to talk them out of it, but they "know" their guests, and then wonder why no one is dancing to the songs they picked-just because you sing like no one is listening to a song, doesn't mean it is a good song to dance too)

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Your DJ should ask you for one, but if not, then yes, definitely give him one. I would put on it any songs you absolutely HATE, which will be different for everyone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Same as Hoboken Bride. No "Shout," "Macarena," "Cupid Shuffle" etc.
  • I just got my e-mail from the DJ requesting this sort of information. I don't want anything that has a specific dance that goes with it (like PP have said, Electric Slide, Macarena, Cupid Shuffle, etc.). I also don't want them to announce a bouquet or garter toss. I don't know if that goes on the DNP though.

Does anyone know what happens if a few guests request something on the list? Does the DJ say no or do they play it to keep the guests happy? My friend said she put Electric Slide and the Chicken Dance on her list, but the DJ played them because guests requested it. Her DJ probably just made a bad call on that, but I'd love to know if this is typical.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Our DJ has given me a sheet to complete and the do not play list is included...that's why I asked.  And of course I'm drawing a blank on what to add now...so I turned here! :)

AndreaJulia - I've been told by my DJ that if someone requests it, he'll politely tell them no because the bride & groom have requested it not be played.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-do-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:325bf766-3f51-482e-96fa-65edbfeb1355Post:a2b73b0f-5e43-45e7-aba6-5a5c7704cd17">Re: DJ - Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got my e-mail from the DJ requesting this sort of information. I don't want anything that has a specific dance that goes with it (like PP have said, Electric Slide, Macarena, Cupid Shuffle, etc.). I also don't want them to announce a bouquet or garter toss. I don't know if that goes on the DNP though.<strong> Does anyone know what happens if a few guests request something on the list? Does the DJ say no or do they play it to keep the guests happy? My friend said she put Electric Slide and the Chicken Dance on her list, but the DJ played them because guests requested </strong>it. Her DJ probably just made a bad call on that, but I'd love to know if this is typical.
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

Our DJ said he will NOT play if even requested if it is on the list. He said if ALOT of people ask, he'd pull us aside and just doublecheck to make sure we still do NOT want it played....

He said they will NOT accept tips to play a song if it is on the do know play list.......
  • I'm definitely doing a DNP list. We are giving the OK on one line dance - Cha Cha Slide - because it will likely get more people on the dance floor. Any others, except definitely no Chicken Dance, are by request only. Otherwise, I've vetoed "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias and "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion just because I really hate them. Although I do like some country music, FI really doesn't, so we've decided to make it by request only, as well. Ditto I like the Spice Girls sometimes, but really don't want their music at my wedding either haha.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-do-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:325bf766-3f51-482e-96fa-65edbfeb1355Post:238979de-c565-45f9-9b86-084c4d0771a5">Re: DJ - Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm definitely doing a DNP list. <strong>We are giving the OK on one line dance - Cha Cha Slide - because it will likely get more people on the dance floor. </strong>Any others, except definitely no Chicken Dance, are by request only. Otherwise, I've vetoed "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias and "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion just because I really hate them. Although I do like some country music, FI really doesn't, so we've decided to make it by request only, as well. Ditto I like the Spice Girls sometimes, but really don't want their music at my wedding either haha.
    Posted by mabapunta[/QUOTE]

<div>I was going to say something along the lines of the bolded. I HATE dancing and I really never do it. But at a wedding, after several drinks, someone will drag me out and I'll do a line-type dance and might stay out for another song or two. I've noticed that the line dances get a lot of the older people out there too. For people like me, I'd suggest at least one line dance.</div><div>
    </div><div>But it you absolutely hate them, definitely don't do them. :)</div>
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    I'm not  fan of line dances.  However, our guests are and they do get people out on the dance floor.  So I said NO to Macerna and electric slide (hate them with a passion) and made the others by request only.   Some were requested and they played them.  NBD to me.  I wanted happy and dancing guests. A 3 minute song was not really something I was going to get my feathers ruffled over.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-do-not-play-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:325bf766-3f51-482e-96fa-65edbfeb1355Post:8cf6fb36-e040-4857-9321-a16b8ac022b5">Re: DJ - Do not play list</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not  fan of line dances.  Howeve,r our guests are and they do get people out on the dance floor.  So I said NO to Macerna and electric slide (hate them with a passion) and made the others by request only.   Some were requested and they played them.  NBD to me.  I wanted happy and guests and a 3 minute song was not really something I was going to my feathers ruffled over.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm also not a fan of line dancing but you're right -- it does get people moving.  I also like your idea of doing certain songs by request only...if the people ask for it, they'll get it but don't let the DJ play it willingly. :)  Good idea!

</div>
  • @ mig and lynda

That's a great idea for the line dances.  I really don't like them either, but I don't want to discourage dancing since I'm already a little worried about people not dancing enough.  I'll talk to my DJ about making some of them "by request" only.  Except the macarena and chicken dance....NO NO NO.

SaveSave
  • I had a list of a few songs that I hate on the DNP list, as well as "nothing by Lady Gaga, Madonna and NO country music". 

it's really personal preference though.  I know a lot of people like Lady Gaga... but, her voice makes me want to stab knives in my ears.
  • I was talking to a DJ who puts up a website that guests can go to and request songs that they want played at the reception. Then of course my FI and I go over the list and say no to any of the requested songs that we don't want played. I thought this was a cool way to be able to see what your guests want to listen to as well. You should definitely give a no play list though because you don't want to hear songs you hate at your wedding! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our DNP list is going to be a mix of certain genres, artists, or songs that we hate.  I like what PP said about having the DJ pull aside the bride and groom if a song is requested a lot.  I'll probably do that because requests were a concern of mine too!  
  • Have you ever been to a wedding where they did the chicken dance or the train and you thought omg I will never do that at my wedding? I think do not play lists are great. I DO NOT wsnt the chicjen dance, the train, etc. played at my wedding. Now my DJ and I are on the same page. He knows the songs that are a must play and he knows what I do not want. There was another section on my list titled "do not play unless a quest requests"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards