Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding Ceremony at a Theatre

Has anyone had or been to a wedding that took place at an Arts Center or Theatre? We are thinking of having ours at one in town, but I'm not sure what it will look like. It's a beautiful place but the wedding would be up on a stage. That's the only part that I'm unsure of. I'm not sure if people would find this a weird venue.

If anyone has any photos of weddings that take place at one or having any suggestions please let me know!!

Thanks!

Re: Wedding Ceremony at a Theatre

• Are there any kind of steps from the audience up onto the stage?  If so, you would probably just treat it as a multi-aisle church and process in from the back of the theater.  If not, is there enough room to perform the ceremony in front of the stage?

I'm pretty sure that Amoro had a ceremony in a theater.  I don't know what screenname she's using these days (Snippylynn, maybe?) but you can try paging her over on Etiquette.  You might also check Offbeat Bride and search for theater weddings.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My fiance and I are having our ceremony at a local theatre on 12-11-10. I grew up performing on stage and always wanted to actually be married up there too!

We'll have a set of stairs on the floor at the edge of the stage so that once I walk down the aisle,  I'll meet fiance at the bottom of the stairs and we will walk up onto the stage together.

As far as people thinking it is a strange venue, we have incountered a few people (primarily the older generations) that have found it weird. Most people think that it is great though! Everyone keeps talking about how excited they are for a wedding that is unique and totally "us."

• Here's a website showing pics from a wedding at Shea's Performing Arts Center in Buffalo, NY:

http://www.knightstudio.com/galleries/venues/Sheas/index.html

• I pretty much begged a beatiful vintage theater and they said no they were too busy and they stage wasn't built for a ceremony because of the curtain, I dont think they got the fact that it was what i was looking for, oh well....

I think it would be beatiful and people are bound to raise an eyebrow if your wedding isnt in a church followed by a seated reception aka wedding tradition all you have to do is show them how awesome it can be being a little unique
  • I love theatres, so I think this is a beautiful idea. I do think maybe if you're not into it personally enough to stand by it if someone questions you, maybe it's not for you. I don't think anyone would find it specifically weird except for people who would already object to holding a wedding anywhere but a church. Heck, I know churches and temples whose front area is almost identical to a stage, so it's not like it's that strange of a look.

One word of caution from a theatre geek: beware of the front row. People will want to sit there to be closer to you, but they'll probably end up craning their necks a lot unless it's a short ceremony. You could maybe decorate the front row so no one can use it or really tell that the seats are there, or you could have musicians sit there!
  • It sounds like a few people have married onstage (and in seven months I'll be part of their ranks).  The older generation might raise an eyebrow, but the majority of your peers will think it's fantastic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards